Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering, I have just been given our third delay on our new Monarch. We ordered the 34SBD on 3/1/08. Just been told by the dealer, Monaco has pushed back the production date to 5/14/08 plus another week for PDI and delivery to the dealership. Is this normal to push back the date three times? Is 11 weeks a normal build/production time for Monaco?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering, I have just been given our third delay on our new Monarch. We ordered the 34SBD on 3/1/08. Just been told by the dealer, Monaco has pushed back the production date to 5/14/08 plus another week for PDI and delivery to the dealership. Is this normal to push back the date three times? Is 11 weeks a normal build/production time for Monaco?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
When I ordered my Signature I was told to allow 12 weeks. I ordered it first week of Nov, and it hit the dealer's lot 2 week of Feb.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #4

Based on a couple of articles on www.rvbusiness.com today, Monaco had big loss for 1Q. In the article, reference was made to plant closures for a couple of weeks at a time as well as 4-day work week to cut expenses. Don't know if this the problem in your situation, but I am sure it doesn't help.

Hope you get the new one soon.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
My 2008 Camelot took 13 weeks from the order day to the day I was called to report it was on the dealer's lot. They originally told me to expect about 12 weeks.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You should remember that they are building a "home on wheels". How short a period of time would you want something of this magnitude to be built?
I can tell you that GM used to take 12-13 weeks to build a vehicle. They are now down to about 8-10 weeks...I certainly would want my coach to take longer than a car.
Ok...that was my nickel's worth...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
MM,

I am not questioning the 11 weeks (plus 1 for delivery) as much as I am why Monaco has pushed the delivery date back 3 times so far. We have built 2 homes and the major delays where from weather. I don't think that is a factor here. The post from RoadRohrers make since that Monaco is cutting production and expenses by limiting production time. I'll ready the aritcle he mentioned in his post.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I did spend time last night looking at the Monaco 1st QTR earnings call transcript. Indeed, Monaco is experiencing financial problems. They however are not alone. The other 4 large RV manufactures are on tuff times as well. Monaco has and will shut down productions lines for two weeks in some plants and in others have gone to a 4 day work week. The Senior Executive team seems to be willing to do whatever is necessary to limit production to demand and minimize their exposure to contiuned debt although they do have a large debt maturing very soon.

I trust that Monaco will continue to work through these hard times and be around for the long haul.

If you want to read the earnings call transcript, shot me a private message and I'll give you the link I used.

Still looking forward to May 14th!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I watched a show on the Travel Channel last evening about the RV industry. The were shooting gas Bounders coming off the assembly line at the Riverside, CA plant. They said that from bare chassis to finshed product it took only three days. Of course those weren't custom models, and I'd guess that probably didn't include paint.

On the other hand, they reported that Marathon Coach (Provost bus conversions) makes about 55 coaches a year.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I am at the factory now and the workers are being told the ones that will be laid off. The number is about 1/3 of the entire work force. I am at Elkhart.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #11

Hard times indeed. Personally, I sometimes have a hard time grasping their financial realities compared to the price of their product. Fortunately, I had my DP 9 years ago when I could afford the product. My situation is about the same, but the price escalation. Ouch! Bobby C, you'll get it and you'll enjoy it. Our last was a HR Admiral 30. Very nice, little unit.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I just looked on Yahoo/Finance for any new developments. Their was a press release at 3:48 (eastern) that Monaco was laying off 600 employess in the administrative and production areas. This was represeneted to be about 12% of the Monaco workforce. The layoffs are to be effective immediately and spread evenly between Oregon and Indiana. I did learn that the Indiana factory was on a 4 day work week and was part of the reason for the delay.

This is more and more like Christmas eve as a child. The anticipation is killing me. I am sorry for the employees that have lost their jobs as I have been through this situation personally. But on the other hand, Monaco senior management is willing to make tough decisions that they believe are best for the company long term. For that, I am thankful.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Update on the New MH. Ordred on 3/1, delayed 3 times to 5/14, and now, an expected arrival to the dealership on May 23rd -24th.

We are looking to name the MH! It is a 2008 Monarch, grey paint, bunks, nearly every Monaco option, 4 kids, the wife, and me. Any creative thoughts for the name?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
What is the actual colorscheme you went with, BobbyC? That may help with the name!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote