Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How Many Turns for Awning Roller?

I just had to get a Carefree SlideOut Cover (SOK) II re-stitched because the thread had deteriorated to the point that it all let go during a storm and wound back around the roller. Sure makes a loud noise!

How many turns should the roller be pre-wound to coil up the internal spring before putting the material back on? And is that with the slide-out in or out?

I seem to remember either 15 or 17 turns plus one for each foot of slide-out depth, but can't remember if the extra should be added when the slide is open or closed.

I suppose I could wait and call Carefree next week, but want to get this job done when the weather is holding.

Thanks!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did ours a few months back. I didn't know there was a guideline so I just wound it until I thought the resistance might be enough and installed it. Turned out it was still a little on the loose side, so I disconnected and tensioned a little more.
I used the tension "feel" from my other slideouts as a rough indicator.
So far all is working very well.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

I will be removing driver topper awning material tomorrow and taking it in to be re sewn and I have just used does it feel tight enough if you find a recommended i will be interested
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
KIX

I think I have attached a pdf file that will answer your questions.

The one thing it doesn't tell you is at what point do you install the canvas. What I have done in the past is to pre-tension the roller at 12 turns. Open the slide about 1/2 way out and then install the canvas. Have your helper operate the slide in and out a couple of times to get the canvas "centered" on the roller. You'll have to "help" the roller. Then, add the additional turns as outlined in the attached file. Be careful and good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAREFREE SPRING CHART.pdf (31.0 KB, 2198 views)
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

I recently had a broken spring in my 21' CareFree awning and replaced it. The instructions with my replacement spring said to rewind it (with awning open) 16 winds. The chart on my replacement paperwork said length of awning; under 7'11"= 14 winds, 8' to 12'=13 winds, 12'1" to 18'=15 winds, 18'1" and longer=16 winds. Hope this helps you
howientrixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks y'all. That helps a LOT (especially the Chart, KIX.)

Too late tonite to do it, but at least I have a reason now to get out of bed tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
................at least I have a reason now to get out of bed tomorrow.
That's important
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced a spring on mine and the factory rep said 7 turns for an 18" awning.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coma - Which awning are you referring-to? 7 turns on my slide-out covers barely takes the slack out of the material. Maybe a window awning?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have removed, resewn and re installed all four slide toppers and never had to rewind the spring. Before I remove the topper I fully extend the slide, remove the cover and pin the roller using a small screwdriver. I then retract the slide a little, remove the screws from the end cap that has the bolt going into the roller. I then place the roller on the slide and unroll the fabric so I can remove it.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Coma - Which awning are you referring-to? 7 turns on my slide-out covers barely takes the slack out of the material. Maybe a window awning?
Rusty,
Sorry, I missed it was a slide out. Mine was a porch awning. Itdave has the ticket. IMO. The Carefree customer service was great at helping me.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coma - Thanks for responding. I thought I was way off-base. Winding the spring got me very anxious, there's a lot of energy in there and I didn't want to have to do any more than necessary.

itdave - If only mine was that simple, it had torn loose during a storm and rolled all the way up. I'm doing the stitching on the others while I'm at it before they let go from sun-rot too, and they are much easier when I can do them the way you described. BTW, I'm getting new material for the atrium one, since it's so deep and has sagged/stretched over the years.

Dupdyke - KIX's chart is spot-on. Follow it when you re-do yours.

Thanks y'all.

Tags
awning