Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How many zones do I have?

My thermostat has four zones available. My manual indicates three zones in the coach 1-3, living room, bath, bedroom. What is the fourth zone for? Is it for the basement? I want my basement heated while in storage to avoid freeze up.

Here is a picture of my Dou-Therm thermostat.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
One Zone per roof AC unit.
On my coach it is three zones. Any other zones shown the thermostat control would not be operational.
The basement heat is active when thermostat is in Furnace mode. Many will set the furnace to 40 or 50 degrees for storage but that only works if you have 30A or 50A hookup when in storage. On my Coach the "Aqua-Hot" unit must be On for furnace mode to work.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The basement zone should have its own adjustable Tstst in the basement. Hard to set the temp as there are only #s 1-10. Easiest way is to wait until the outside temp is the temp you want and then turn the knob until you hear/feel the click.

As good as the heater is I set mine a little above freezing before it comes on.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco numbers the zones as 1 in front, 2 in the rear, and 3 in the center (this is if your coach has 3 AC units). Each AC unit has a control board inside under a cover. These control boards have "Dip Switches" that assign the zone number.

The basement thermostat is in the basement near the Aqua Hot and holding tanks on the passenger side. You will need to have the Aqua Hot diesel or electric turned on, plus the thermostat zone corresponding to the basement. On our coach it's zone 2.

If you download your owners manual in PDF you can do a search for "Bay Thermostat". To perform a search, download the manual and save it to your computer. Open the file and click on "Edit" at the top and then select "Find" about 2/3 of the way down.
https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments. I did not know about the thermostat in the basement.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Zones

My rear stat like that just does the rear a/c, F&R heat pump, and the bedroom/bathroom aqua hot. The front stat just does the front a/c and front AquaHot. Then there’s also the AquaHot loop for the engine pre-heat
Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I never knew that a particular Furnace zone had to be set for the basement thermostat to run heat. I usually have them all on when aquahot is running anyway. The thermostat in my basement is actually marked in steps of 10 from 20 to 50 by the way.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Question Whooda Thunkit!

This is really great information on the Zones and Basement thermostat.

I read the owner's manual and didn't really understand the workings of that basement thermostat until I read your better explanations here. Thank you!

This morning, it is 50* in Quartzsite and my Duo Therm is set to 65*. It lights up and I can push the buttons to change values on the display.

BUT NOTHING HAPPENS. The fans don't come on now. Bedroom thermostat is operating normally. Kitchen thermostat worked perfectly yesterday morning.

Please guide me on where to start first in my troubleshooting. I don't know where to start looking for something blown or disconnected.

Lloyd was here servicing the AquaHot yesterday afternoon. Is there something in the basement that could have been bumped, or disconnected, that would make the thermostat look normal, but never come on?

Thank you in advance for any advice on where to start looking.
Baby, it's cold inside!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There is a controller readout panel for the AquaHot, usually located in the same compartment.

Take a look at it and see if the LED lights are on (there is a power, heating status, overload, etc.) lights. Obviously there should not be any error or overload lights on. Is the "Heat or Pump" lights On? The "Heating Zone Status" lights will illuminate green if the thermostat is calling for heat.

You didn't say which model AquaHot you have, but the photo below is from my manual for the AHE-104-04S but the others would be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AquaHot Controller board.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	232289  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #10

Although I have a Newmar and not a Monaco, I'll mention that there are some variations in A/C configuration. Mine has 3 Dometic Heatpumps that are on zones 1, 2, and 4. Zone 3 is used for the HydroHot ... zone 3 does not have any A/C unit but it does have the Dometic controller. The Dometic controller is the interface between the thermostat and the HydroHot control board. So, it's possible to have 4 zones shown as available with just 3 A/C units.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
No Operation from Duo Therm Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
There is a controller readout panel for the AquaHot, usually located in the same compartment.

Take a look at it and see if the LED lights are on (there is a power, heating status, overload, etc.) lights. Obviously there should not be any error or overload lights on. Is the "Heat or Pump" lights On? The "Heating Zone Status" lights will illuminate green if the thermostat is calling for heat.

You didn't say which model AquaHot you have, but the photo below is from my manual for the AHE-104-04S but the others would be similar.

Thank you, CountryB, for this info.
We have the AquaHot AHE-100-01S

I will try to find this LED panel on our AquaHot to look for lights
Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #12

BTW, if you are on 30 amp service, it is likely that your energy management system will only allow operation of 1 A/C unit/heatpump (or 1 unit at a time). You may want to check the 120vac breaker(s) for the A/C units. They are in your main distribution panel. 2 or more units should run when on your genset.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Jaceutah, your model Aqua Hot does not have the Electronic Controller Diagnostic board.

Also, when you select the Dometic AC (Air Conditioner) or Heat Pump there is a 5 min delay before it starts.
I would cycle each AC circuit breaker on the main AC breaker box. This will also cause a 5 min delay.

Your Aqua Hot is selected using the Furnace option in each zone on your thermostat, but you must also turn on either the small electric heat switch or the larger diesel burner switch for heat or hot water. These are usually in the kitchen.
The electric heat option may not work on 30a power and even when it does will provide limited heat but is good for hot water.

To add to the confusion, you may also have a switch in the bathroom and/or kitchen for additional heat. This will turn on the small blower fan for that heat exchanger when the thermostat calls for heat in that zone.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
All Fixed and Here's How

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Jaceutah, your model Aqua Hot does not have the Electronic Controller Diagnostic board.

Also, when you select the Dometic AC (Air Conditioner) or Heat Pump there is a 5 min delay before it starts.
I would cycle each AC circuit breaker on the main AC breaker box. This will also cause a 5 min delay.

Your Aqua Hot is selected using the Furnace option in each zone on your thermostat, but you must also turn on either the small electric heat switch or the larger diesel burner switch for heat or hot water. These are usually in the kitchen.
The electric heat option may not work on 30a power and even when it does will provide limited heat but is good for hot water.

To add to the confusion, you may also have a switch in the bathroom and/or kitchen for additional heat. This will turn on the small blower fan for that heat exchanger when the thermostat calls for heat in that zone.

Thanks to all for your input on the issue I was having with my AquaHot 100.
While in Quartzsite, I had made an appointment with Lloyd DeGerald for an annual tune up. He came out and did a full service on my AquaHot unit.

It is operating perfectly now. Apparently, the AquaHot was needing a cleaning and service, and that is why the light was shutting off. We use our AquaHot often and it just needed new filter, nozzle, oil/mix, etc.

This is the second year we have had Lloyd perform service work on the AquaHot and we are very pleased with his work and how the AquaHot operates.

Thank you to everyone who didn't mind me interrupting this thread and offered input on my questions.