Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

How much air bleed down when parked is Ok

When parked overnight my air will bleed down from 115 to 75 or so. In two days parked it will drop to around 40 pounds and the air bags will be deflated. Is this normal? How much bleed down when parked is normal / acceptable? The pressure builds up normally when the engine is started and holds fine while driving.

Thanks, Barry
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
It should drop none you have a leak. Get soap water and start spraying on connections.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi barrys,
I have a bit of a different view of bleed down.
1. The air bag system is not bleed down proof.
2. Different coaches loose air at different rates.
3. If, when parked, you can not hear air escaping, I would not worry about it.
4. If, when parked, the coach is supported by leveling jacks, the bleed down will be evident and much quicker than with the jacks retracted.
5. If you can hear air escaping, get the coach checked out.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
5. If you can hear air escaping, get the coach checked out.
Well... not necessarily.. on my older coach I have the older type Cruise control that uses my air system to maintain itself. There is a regulator valve inline up near the cruise pod in the engine compartment that is connected to a live air line. This regulator keeps the pressure to the cruise control mechanicals at 40psi. Everytime I shut my coach off I will hear air bleeding down from this regulator until it the entire system reaches 40psi before it stops. I thought I had a leak up there somewhere too but took it to a mechanic who described to me how that older cruise control systems on these chassis worked.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I was told to dump the air out of the system when I am parked and set up. Why would you leave the air in the bags up while set up.
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our new Revolution gradually lost air over about a 4 week period. I spoke to a Spartan service rep and he said this was normal.

As stated earlier, different coaches will loose pressure at different rates. I've seen some claim that their coach never loses pressure, but those claims are few and far between.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"barrys".... they'll all leak down some over time. Often, you can walk around in a coach and cause it to move and make the air bags bleed a small amount of air to compensate. My bags will start to drop afer a couple of days.

"Dixieray53".....You're right about dumping and setting up for a few days, but if you're just overnighting somewhere, many of us just drop our jacks for stability (occasionally I don't even do that if it's really level) and leave the bags aired up. In the morning you won't have to wait for air up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys View Post
When parked overnight my air will bleed down from 115 to 75 or so. In two days parked it will drop to around 40 pounds and the air bags will be deflated. Is this normal? How much bleed down when parked is normal / acceptable? The pressure builds up normally when the engine is started and holds fine while driving.

Thanks, Barry
I always dump my air down to less than 30 lbs by using the brake before I put the jacks down. The jacks have to travel to far if you don't and the step will be to high off the ground. I do this even if only stopping for one night.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I always dump my air down to less than 30 lbs by using the brake before I put the jacks down. The jacks have to travel to far if you don't and the step will be to high off the ground. I do this even if only stopping for one night. Bob
A sign of how technology changes over time. In our new Revolution the system automatically dumps air before the jacks will start to extend. I hit one button and the computers take over.

HAL has come to the RV world.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #10

My 03' Diplomat did the same. I traced it to the valve that controls the step cover slide. I could hear it leak if I opened the left front compartment where the valve is mounted. It's a simple valve with standard o-rings so the repair was easy.
jckc779 is offline   Reply With Quote