Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

how much pink stuff ?

2003 monoco executive with Aqua Hot. About how many gallons of anti freeze are needed to winterize this water system? thanks in advance....
wi410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on which of the 3 winterizing methods you use

1: Wet method: Pink stuff in all the lines, Traps, Drains and toilets (I do not recommend)

2: Dry method: Blow out lines, several times pausing between blows (Description follows) Pink only in drains, traps and toilets (Much better)

3: S-Method (Best) (Strap snow blower to front of rig, drive south till someone looks at it, scratches their head and says "What the )@#@ is THAT thing for?" Park)

Sadly method 3 is not open to many of us.

When you blow, Open all valves, and blow till no more water comes out.

Then take a break, 5 minutes or so and blow again, and again, and again, and again. Like 5-10 times minimum.. Eventually you will get no more water when you blow yet again, that's when you close the valves, then dump the waste tanks, and add pink to drains and toilets.

Wet method: You have to flush all that gunk out come spring.

Dry method.. Well you still have to flush the pink out, but ... Well, Let's just say it is a WHOLE lot easier (you flush the toilet the first time, You drain the sink or shower the first time, you flush the pink).

I use the S method.. that's S.Carolina.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #3

wa8yxm,

How does one use your "much better" method to winterize a washer?

I personally blow everything out first and follow with the pink stuff per the directions supplied with my washer. The directions supplied with my residential refer specify to "blow only", no pink stuff.

Just saying, "much better" might not be the same for everyone.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you have an Aqua-Hot system, you must use "the pink stuff". there is no way to assure all the water is removed from the water heater in the aqua hot, even with blowing it out. Flushing the water lines in the spring really isn't a big deal. The RV anti-freeze readily flushes out of the lines. You do need to run the washer through a cycle with no clothes in it to make sure all the pink is gone.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot to mention, with our Camelot with Aqua hot, I use about three gallons of pink stuff to winterize. I don't put any into the fresh water holding tank because it would be very difficult to flush it all out. The small amount of water left in the tank after it's drained can freeze without harming the tank.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

I use the wet option as described above. I just cannot be sure that I am getting all the water out with blowing it plus I don't know how much air pressure the pipes can stand.

Last year was the first time I had to winterize and I used about 2 1/2 gallons.

We have a hydronic system for heat and hot water that uses propane (similar to an aqua hot) and I just blew it out after shutting the valve to get it off the loop to the rest of the water system. Someone told me it's not good to put antifreeze in the unit. I have no idea so I didn't put any in.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use less then a gallon. I only put the pink stuff in the drains, toilet and Washing machine. All the water lines get blown out and I leave all the faucets in the open position. Of course don't forget to close them in the spring before you water up or you'll have one heck of a mess.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget the washer/dryer! I use 7 gallons to do it all. Blow it out then pump it full, 2 gals in the tank to boot. I make pink cubes with fridge. I use an extra water pump to pump it in as I don't have a gravity fill. $5 a gal or $115/hr to fix the broken pipes. Pick one.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

I used to work on these things professionally - a long time ago. I would just like to warn that if you're blowing your system out that you be very mindfull of the toilet. The water valves are not very forgiving and do not like to be frozen up at all. We used to replace them frequently on coaches that were blown out. The blow, pause blow, then repeat plan is a good one - just keep the toilet in that cycle!

We have a fairly simple coach that's set up with a water heater bypass and a valve on the intake side of the pump that lets us select between pulling water from the water tank, or a hose long enough to reach the bottom of a 1 gallon jug of anti freeze. I can generally do the entire coach, including all the traps, on a gallon or less - in the span of about 5 minutes.

Regarding putting anti freeze in the water tank, I would never argue against that practice, but if you know you're on you're last trip for the season, open the drain valve after dumping the holding tanks - and leave it open for the drive home. You'll slosh most of the water out that way, and there will be no more need to add antifreeze to it. I leave my holding tank gate valves open for the same reason.... after rising well of course!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #10

thanks for the info and advise. Getting cool in WI, time to get my stuff together for the soon to be winter... thanks .. very helpful.
wi410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #11

I used to use about 3 to 3 1/2 gallons, but I removed my water filters - it takes a lot of antifreeze to push the water out, and if you dump them, they hold a lot of fluid, so I now have them set up to put them on the external water supply.

Second, blow the lines first. Both this trick and removing the filters means you don't have to push out water, when the anti freeze shows up in the tap you can stop rather than run it for a while to get the water out.

If you are doing this look for the large jugs, so much easier to work with than the small ones.

BTW - you can get a cheap little screw in plug for the end of your hose with a vehicle tire stem on it at most RV places. Makes blowing them out very easy.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just remembered this. I have friends who claim that Vodka is cheaper than pink stuff where they live!!!? So they winterize with cheap Vodka and then don't have to sanitize in the spring.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Just remembered this. I have friends who claim that Vodka is cheaper than pink stuff where they live!!!? So they winterize with cheap Vodka and then don't have to sanitize in the spring.

Then in the Spring all they have to do is put a little Zing Zang in a glass and fill it with "water" from the tap, add a stalk of celery and repeat as many times as necessary until the water begins to taste different.
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Then in the Spring all they have to do is put a little Zing Zang in a glass and fill it with "water" from the tap, add a stalk of celery and repeat as many times as necessary until the water begins to taste different.
That's a great idea! I should invite myself over for the dewinterizing party!!