Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #1

My tow vehicles left turn signal has stopped working. I've traced the problem through the system to a failed LT-REAR TURN relay located in the Monaco 3 Fuse/Breaker box in the Front Curbside Compartment. My problem is that it is not readily apparent how one removes the relay. It doesn't seem to just pull strait out, at least not easily. I can't get a good grip on it as there are 6 similar relays mounted against one another. I haven't tried using a tool to pry it off for fear of doing damage. I can see no retainer clips or other devices holding the relay in place.

Does anyone know if these relays are supposed to pull strait out? If so I'll slip a tool under it a give it a gently pry. If not, how does one replace them?
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

My tow vehicles left turn signal has stopped working. I've traced the problem through the system to a failed LT-REAR TURN relay located in the Monaco 3 Fuse/Breaker box in the Front Curbside Compartment. My problem is that it is not readily apparent how one removes the relay. It doesn't seem to just pull strait out, at least not easily. I can't get a good grip on it as there are 6 similar relays mounted against one another. I haven't tried using a tool to pry it off for fear of doing damage. I can see no retainer clips or other devices holding the relay in place.

Does anyone know if these relays are supposed to pull strait out? If so I'll slip a tool under it a give it a gently pry. If not, how does one replace them?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know about your particular set up but some of the relays in mine appear to be soldered to the board. If this is the case you may not be able to just unplug it. Call Monaco tech and find out. (If they'll tell you)
Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Thanks, Pusherpilot. I was hoping not to find them soldered in. I don't mind soldering in a new one but it looks like a major project to remove the board for access.

I contacted Mocaco Tech Assist a week ago but so far have received no reply. When I've contected them in the past the response has been immediate. I hope this isn't the result of Monaco's reductions in staff.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Some of the tech service people have been laid off. I also know of one senior rep who recently left on his own (and I'm sure not replaced). There are probably others. They were never real quick to respond to email messages, and probably worse at that now. If that's how you have contacted them, you may want to call instead.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've e-mailed them at least 3 time and never got an answer. When I finally called I asked why and got no response. Only some mumbling about being busy. This is not a recent thing. It's been this way for years.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Also check for fuses. If and that's a big IF I remember correctly, Monaco ran separate wires for rear coach turn lights and towed turn lights, each were fused separately. This was to prevent the towed car from causing a blown fuse for all rear lights. Might give that a shot. Also I think you just have to pull real hard on the relay I don't remember them being soldered in. Does the LT on the coach still work? Good luck.

Jim - RV tech retired
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #8

Thanks, Jim. You're correct about there being a separate fuse in the system for the towed vehicle lights. It's good and I replaced it with a new fuse. All coach lights and other towed vehicle lights work properly. I'm pretty sure the relay is the problem. I can clearly feel and hear the relay for the right towed vehicle turn light clicking, but not for the left.

My first thought was to verify my trouble shooting by swapping the relays but since I haven't been able to pull them out I haven't tried that yet. I'm going to rely on your memory and try pulling them again. If I can't get a grip on them I'll try carefully slipping a knife blade under the edge. Since I'm pretty sure the relay is bad I guess I don't have much to lose even if I damage it so long as I don't damage the board itself.

Thanks again for your advice.

Barry
Old 07-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If the relay isn't energizing (clicking) it may be that there is no power being applied to the coil to cause it to close. If there is a way to check this you should before you try to pry it off. This can be done at the connector on the board if you know which pins the signal is fed to the relay on. If it is a PWB (printed wiring board) there may be a crack or burned spot in the foil on the board preventing the circuit from being completed to the relay. One of the PWBs in the bedroom had a crack that prevented the lights in the slide from working. Found it when I wiggled the board while checking the fuse and the lite came on!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Barry,
Not knowing if it's solder or not, try to remove the entire assembly so that like pusherpilot said it could be a cracked board or bad solder joint. I just can't remember if they are solder or not. Let us know what you find and what the fix was. Good luck.

Jim
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #11

Thanks for all the suggestions. Renegade's (Jim) memory was good. The relay did simply pull out. Well, not so simply since having a group of relays installed tight against one another made it a little difficult to get enough grip to pull it. Once I slipped a knife under it and gave a gently pry it came out fine. My lucky day. After cleaning the rely pins I reseated it and problem solved. All lights working. Thanks again, Jim.