Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

How Smooth Should a 2000 Dip Ride?

After reading the tire balance thread here, I have to wonder what is "normal", or what should I expect for a ride in an older 2000 Dip?

I just replaced my tires with Michelin XZE, (255/70R 22.5), late last fall and just took my first long trip from Chicago to Daytona last week. I noticed a slight vibration/shimmy that seemingly would come and go, mostly come. The steering wheel was steady and smooth, but if you stepped in the back, (while someone was driving of course), by the shower area, you could hear and feel a definite throbbing, like a slight out of balance or out of round. BTW, I put all new Bilstein shocks on the coach 2 months ago.

I stopped at Speedco, (what a great place that is), and had all the wheels rebalanced and bought a set of Centramatics while there. The result was a very slight improvement, but you could still feel something.

What kind of ride should I expect with this MH? Will I always have this slight vibration? Do driveshafts give bad vibes with no other indications?

Thanks for any help with this.

Harry P
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #2

Yes, check the u joints.
Stnlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked the ride height as well? If the rear is off it will effect the driveshaft angle and will cause a roar.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #4

If I go back and stand right over the rear axle on my MH I can also feel a throb from six tires. Mine does not come and go and it is not real bad and my tires are perfectly balanced. It is still worth checking the U-joints just to make sure.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm thinking tire problem rather than U-Joint. My interpretation of Harry's "definite throbbing" description is a vibration that occurs per wheel rotation.

We all know that the driveshaft is turning at a significantly higher RPM than tire rotation....so if there is a problem with the driveshaft/U-Joints, the frequency of the vibration is not that of a "throbbing" when at Interstate speeds.

With my OEM Goodyears, I had such a throbbing too, but it was minimal. I got "new shoes" on my rig last fall and I'm pleased to report that it's a smooth as a baby's behind back by the shower!
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #6

I have six tires back there that go in and out of harmonics with each other and the motor. Nothing wrong with my tires or the driveshaft. Don't get me wrong it is not vibration it is harmonical throbbing with the motor. My tires are also smooth.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #7

I did have the ride height checked at Monaco a few months ago, it should still be ok.

Mike, you said that you hear and feel a similar "throbbing" on your coach in the shower area. Does it seem like about 2-3 beats per second, or something completely different?

Michelin has shown some concern so far, and it seems they are willing to help me solve this, or at the least, try to eliminate the tires as the cause.

Harry P
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Harry....When you stand at the rear of the coach, you have a diesel engne that's loping along and some big tires that are transmitting noise no matter what you do. I would check a couple of things, but not make yourself crazy over it.

Here are some ideas from simple to difficult:

Keeping the driveshafts lubed on these coaches are very critical, but they are so massive that they're hard to check without disassembly. I would visually inspect (at ride height) and make sure everything is in alignment and well lubed.

Since the tires are so new and if the tire company/Michellin is willing to work with you, I would swap the two outer duals to opposite sides. If there are some harmonics going on, this might change the frequency and make it better or worse.

Check the differential fluid, check the motor mount bolts and if possible, get the rearend on blocks (again at ride height) and spin the rear wheels cvisually checking the driveshaft for movement, straightness and play at the trans.

Without having several of us drive with you to see if it sounds like what ours do, its tough to diagnose or recommend spending a ton of money on nothing, but I would also hate to tell you its normal and have a driveshaft let go. As was stated earlier, I think you have a bunch of things making music back there, just not a melody that sounds good.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
had a similar problem with the Knight we had. turned out to be a broken blade on the rad fan. just a thought.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Also check your harmonic crankshaft balancer
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote