Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
I drove my 40PDQ Diplomat out of Grass Vally CA from DiMartini's old location in the evining. Getting out of the driveway into traffic was difficult because the streets were very narrow and then I had to drive down the mountain in the dark. My home is 500 miles from grass valley so I made it 150 miles before stopping for the night at a rest stop. I also had a death grip comming down the mountain but the exaust brake made me feel more cofident. The next morning I drove the 5 through LA in traffic very cafefully and made it home with no problems.

Once you have a few miles under your belt you can drive relaxed and look forward to your adventure. I would reccommend a driving coarse it will give you confidence by answering questions you may have so you can drive without having to guess. Im sure you had to get some miles on your 5ver before you conuld be relaxed.

Hang in there it will be worth it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #58
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions and comments! I am spending a lot of time studying the manuals to figure out how everything works. I'm starting another thread about the cost of maintaining a MH and would appreciate any info you can give on that also.

Link to cost thread
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #59

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was horrified at first too...

I bought my coach last June, its only a 32' but it was scary as all get out to me when I drove it to Kansas 3 days after taking delivery. I was so stressed out when I finally made it to my parents, it took me a day and long naps to re-gain my energy!

My biggest scare was the WIND. I wasn't used to the side winds pushing the coach like a toy. Not to mention the rocking traveling down the highway with 40 mph side winds....wow was that a tense time. Then coming home, I started back too late and was so tired when I finally got back into town that it was dark and I had to get through construction zones. So when I made it back to my driveway I just lobbed up and parked face in, knowing how I need light to back the coach in the driveway.

Since then, I'm no longer afraid of it, driving it is so much fun and I'm relaxed and enjoy it so much more.

I still have trouble getting the back up approach to my driveway, I have to go around the block, head westward, and back and forth angle the coach up my narrow 10' driveway. The approach from the street is tight too. I can drive out without running over the curb, but its difficult not to when I am backing in. My neighbor has crape mertyles (sp) that line up about 2 ' from my driveway, so I try not to drive over the curbs, but I can only back up so far before I seem to back into them before I straighten back out. Once I'm aligned with the driveway though, I have no problems backing up the drive and moving the coach over onto the rock driveway in the back yard. I need to figure out just where in the street to stop and begin the turn, and I haven't done that yet, had the coach in and out about a dozen times so far and still don't have it exactly where I need to be in the street yet, but MIRRORS, MIRRORS MIRRORS I use them like a hawk.

Give it time, you'll become just as comfortable, believe me! As with anything, the more you drive, the easier it will get.

Good luck and enjoy!

Kent
Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Thanks to the info in this thread, I have scheduled driving lessons for DW and myself.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #61

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmike View Post
RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVing
All the above tips are great. This is just my 2 cents worth. This guy has taught hundreds of first time drivers. He has a class at Lazy Days in Seffner, FL. The dots do work, but they are just an aid to good driving habits you already have. By the way, please talk your DW into learning to feeling comfortable behind the wheel. It may help her feel more at ease in the right hand seat.
This was wonderful! I just learned several things that will help me tremendously! I am so glad I watched it!

Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, got some laughs out of this thread. I had never driven a class A, several trailers, but no class A. When I picked up my 42 ft Monaco Dynasty with tag in South Carolina to drive it back to Nebraska I knew my son and I were both going to be casualties. Hit rush hour traffic in St Louis, turned on the lights and no dash lights, bumper to bumper traffic, knew we were dead, couldn't see any of the controls. Then ran into a snowstorm in Kansas City, wind....bad wind with it. About got blown off the road when we got to the Nebraska border, stopped for the night to clean out the shorts!!! Rained ice all night, drove the next day on patchy ice. I had a new found respect for guys who drive ORTs and buses. It definitely takes a few outings and a very conscious effort to pay attention what's in the mirrors, what's ahead of you, and where you are on the road. I think the biggest thing for me to learn was the "herding technique', lol. You kind of have to herd these things down the road with gentle nudges, once I figured that out it became very comfortable to drive and the iron grip goes away. Give it a little time and you are going to love it. Take a lot of trips on roads that aren't busy in the daylight and slow down, the learning curve is straight up but levels off quickly!!!
Good luck......and sell the 5er, it'll be good.
BP
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I bought my coach last June, its only a 32' ... My biggest scare was the WIND. I wasn't used to the side winds pushing the coach like a toy.
One big difference between a larger tag MH and the two axle coaches is sensitivity to wind. It is pretty normal here on the northern prairie to have strong wind conditions, including gusts that will roll over silos and push semis over. When it is truly severe you just need to get off the road for a while (when the coach is listing 15 degrees!).

I've spent whole days on the road with the wheel turned 90 degrees to one side to compensate for the side winds. Having said that, the extra axle and the heavier coach is not as susceptible to gusts as the short coaches with two axles, this surprises most first time buyers, as a result they are easier to drive.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #64

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
One big difference between a larger tag MH and the two axle coaches is sensitivity to wind. It is pretty normal here on the northern prairie to have strong wind conditions, including gusts that will roll over silos and push semis over. When it is truly severe you just need to get off the road for a while (when the coach is listing 15 degrees!).

I've spent whole days on the road with the wheel turned 90 degrees to one side to compensate for the side winds. Having said that, the extra axle and the heavier coach is not as susceptible to gusts as the short coaches with two axles, this surprises most first time buyers, as a result they are easier to drive.
That would explain why I was moving down the road at a snail's pace of 55 and other larger coaches (now that you mention it) would blow by me at 70 mph like I was standing still! I have worked through that fear now though, it was mostly because I wasn't used to driving the coach yet....but, gosh, I guarantee you in SW Kansas where I was born the winds do blow!

Kent
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig. It dose not take to long to get used to it. Stay away from any high narrow mountain roads for the first while, it is a little scary for the passenger being up so high. There are some great resources out there. Lazy Daze in Tucson gives free driver training in their attached campground. Okanagan College in Kelowna B.C. has a 4 day seminar[$175in June] that covers everything you need to know from engines to driving etc. After 40 years of rving I thought there was not a lot left to learn, was I wrong. The seminar was one of the best things we ever did. We are going back to take the courses we missed last time.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #66

I went from a pickup to my 40 foot bus. The dealer was nice enough to park it so all I had to do was find the air brake release, and push the drive button to get off the lot.

Think of the new bigger MH in the same way as a new girlfriend or wife. It gets easier to drive over time, and the longer you have it, the easier it is to deal with.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #67

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
Think of the new bigger MH in the same way as a new girlfriend or wife. It gets easier to drive over time, and the longer you have it, the easier it is to deal with.
The above sentance makes no sense to me. Mine was easier to drive the first month, and got more difficult to deal with over the years.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #68
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've really enjoyed reading all the good advice you guys have given me. I've been driving it every day or so and it's beginning to feel really comfortable, but the wife in another story! Hopefully she will come around in time.... Thanks again!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #69

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
The above sentance makes no sense to me. Mine was easier to drive the first month, and got more difficult to deal with over the years.
are we talking MH or the DW
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #70

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLeggett View Post
are we talking MH or the DW
Oh, definately the DW.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote