Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How To Clean The Battery Compartment?

Not able to lift the batteries out yet, but I'd like to be ready when it's time....

My battery compartment is in pretty-good shape, but I'd like to clean off all the corrosion/dirt/etc and repaint in there. What's the preferred procedure & materials (cleaner/solvent/etc, scrubbers, brushes, etc)?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #2

Once cleaned, I can highly recommend POR-15 for painting. Get the small cans as once opened, they can not be stored. Also, where gloves as you can NOT wash the stuff off of your skin. All the best.

https://www.por15.com/Rust-Preventive-Coating_c_11.html
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

There are commercial products you may purchase for that purpose. CRC makes a very good cleaner and protector. Also you may use standard baking soda with a wire brush to clean any corrosion off then rinse with water. CRC Battery Terminal and Cleaner is what I use most. Amazon or Walmart both carry the product along with auto parts stores. I just recently pulled my old batteries, cleaned and repainted my battery compartment then installed two new 6v house batteries wired in series. I then spayed them with battery terminal protector. Hope this helps.
Safe travels and happy camping!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I have used baking soda sprinkled generously around then hose it out.
I really have not had any issues with out gassing boil overs.
Last year when I replaced the batteries I did remove the tray and cleaned it up and painted it with POR15.
1 year later have road dirt but that about it.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Google "acid resistant aircraft paint". I used it on mine 3 yrs ago and the compartment is still without rust and corrosion. Rust proof paint is not good enough. You need something to prevent corrosion from acid.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
First I spray the battery compartment, the drawers, and all the batteries with a hose.
Then I mix large amounts of Baking Soda (the big box from Costco) with 1 gallon of warm water in a bucket. Mixing the baking soda with water is much better than sprinkling the powder around as it gets down into all the nooks and crannies and under the batteries.
I pour the baking soda mix all over each battery drawer and throw some of the mix back into the battery compartment. I then let this sit for an hour or two. Finally I re-rinse everything with a hose again.
(The first time or two on a very dirty battery box you should not rinse with a hose the second time. Leave the baking soda mix in there to dry. It will turn white, but will also continue to nuetralize all the acid.)

Then I wire brush the terminals and spray them with red battery terminal protectant.
I also use 1 ounce of mineral oil in each battery cell to help prevent the acid from boiling up and out.
Our Windsor battery compartment looked new after 15 years of this.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am right in the middle of this project right now. I removed all the batteries and wiring that would come out and tied up the rest to the ceiling of the compartment. I then used and old palm sander to prep the walls and floor. I also used the POR 15 paint...2 coats. Reconditioning the house batteries now. Hope to put it all back on my next days off.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:39 AM   #8
YC1

Step 1 and 2:

Take plenty of pictures first. Take voltage readings.

While the batteries are out have them load tested and be sure to water them with distilled water.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Once cleaned, I can highly recommend POR-15 for painting. Get the small cans as once opened, they can not be stored. Also, where gloves as you can NOT wash the stuff off of your skin. All the best.

https://www.por15.com/Rust-Preventive-Coating_c_11.html
X2 Por-15
Old 04-28-2018, 06:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I apply liberal amounts of the following to all my battery terminals to prevent corrosion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the input, guys. Just what I need to keep me focused on that task.

Baking soda, elbow grease, water, and POR-15 or acid-resistant paint - sounds like the common denominators. Oh, and terminal-protector.

I had an early '65 Mustang (loved that car - fast!), and my Dad always joked that gallons of POR-15 was the only thing holding it together.

YC1 - good idea about checking the water level but they're too heavy as-is, not gonna add even an ounce til I get them back in the box

Thanks again, y'all!!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #12

I used POR 15 for mine and it didn't hold up that well. I'd consider the acid resistant aircraft paint route.

I also used POR 15 on my pickup chassis and it has done extremely well in that application.

You can use the POR 15 again but you need to put it into a smaller container, and store it lid down. The skin it will form in contact with air is impressively tough.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Condition and prep are the keys to a long lasting finish
When I purchased my coach 4 years ago my battery box condition was about a 5 rating from 1 - 10 as far as the condition goes when I decided to address it.

As stated earlier and IMO also take lots of pics.

I removed the batteries and I cleaned and ground for 2 days theroughly.

I used all Rustoleum products and that was 4 years ago when I did mine and it is still holding up very well and am very happy. The last finish coating I used was Rustoleums hammered finish ,so it looks powered coated.

If I did it again I might be tempted to use this product

Name:   344-QT-2015.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  26.3 KB

but again I believe that with any project like this preparation is everything.

My coach stays at my home and gets the batteries and compartment serviced regularly and refilled with distilled water.

I mix up Baking soda and water in a garden sprayer and spray liberal amounts of the baking soda mix everywhere including the battery trays the roller tracks and then rinse them thoroughly with water and put a box fan on high to dry everything out thoroughly then when dry I lube the roller tracks and all with dry lube.

As far as the cables end needing grease go? IMO it's useless and only attracts unnecessary dirt & grime and nothing more ..... some of the magic potions on the market that they sell may have a purpose?.. but most are in low current applications or application that regular maintenance may be extremely difficult.

Properly maintained batties and a properly functioning charging system you will find that you won't have any corrosion issues and most of the battery maintenance products ...those 64 special herbs and spices that they pimp to do so are not even necessary.

Happy Trails
Old 04-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #14

Should the batteries go back in the same order as they came out or can they be mixed up ?

heatseaker
Golden, Co.
'05 Beaver Santiam
'07 Jeep GC
and more stuff
heatseaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery