Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
How to use towing air coupler

I have a new to me 2000 Imperial, I would like to know how the air coupler works before I need it. I have found the male fitting in the gen compartment however, I don't see a valve to allow air into the system. The manual that came with the MH mentions the nipple and that it is used for charging when towing but, it doesn't say how it would be enabled. The nipple is also uncovered and dirty, I would think this is not a good thing. Does anyone have a similar setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airNipple.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	17722  
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tow truck would connect to your connection providing the air from his compressor. It should be cleaned and kept covered.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Since it is a male fitting, there is no pressure on it. Seems like I would need to have a valve to open it to the rest of the system or it would have to have something like a check valve in place.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

I was towed and the tow truck hooked up to it and didn't have to taurn on anything so it must have a check valve in it. I have a plastic cap I have put on mine. One thing was that the nipple on it is not what the tow truck can connect to. It is the wrong style. I was lucky and had the correct one in my tool box. The tow truck guy say they use a standard nipple like what air tools use. The one that Monaco installed was too short. Check yours.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are are least two and maybe three different air fittings. Harbor Freight has at least two of them, you do have to watch which you have and buy to connect to them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Thanks Mike, without specific instructions in the manual, I had a feeling that it must be a checkvalve.

Now I have the problem of how do I clean out the line that has been open to dirt and grim for 11 years so that I can put a cap on it?

Thanks everyone for great info.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
Since it is a male fitting, there is no pressure on it. Seems like I would need to have a valve to open it to the rest of the system or it would have to have something like a check valve in place.

Cap norgan
The male fitting for towing in the front compartment does in fact have a built in valve the same as in a female air coupler for your air tools etc.and is under the same pressure as the primary air tanks.....there should be no manual shutoff valve that im aware of .....allthough......your coach may be different than ones Ive seen though
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Dennis, I believe you are right. I think the two fittings just behind the nipple are the check valve. Originally I thought those were just there to enable mounting the nipple to the support bracket.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #9

I went out and looked at mine and I actually have a ball valve on both of mine. One for purging the tank and one for the tow coupling.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

mike
Mine has none .....as i said ....there may have been changes in production years.....and as stated above there are different manufacturers that make the couplings that may not match the tow vehicle and need to be changed on site to tow.....I don't know......it is not a "standard " here for sure......but if the hose was broke during a tow she sure would stop in a hurry without a check I would think ...LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #11

I don't think it will stop because it is just there to keep the airbags inflated. I actually had to raise by suspension up to be towed because when the front was raised by the tow truck the back went down. I used the raise function then locked it up with the emergency off function. It was probably because it was a long MH. I keep one of each kind of male coupler with me.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I don't think it will stop because it is just there to keep the airbags inflated. I actually had to raise by suspension up to be towed because when the front was raised by the tow truck the back went down. I used the raise function then locked it up with the emergency off function. It was probably because it was a long MH. I keep one of each kind of male coupler with me.

Mike keeping the airbags up is part and parcel with filling all three air tanks and keeping the rear spring brakes off to tow.....low air no tow
Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #13

Dennis, you are 100% correct and I forgot to mention that about keeping air in the tanks so the parking brake doesn't come on and lock up the drive axle wheels. That would put some big flat spots on four tires.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #14

My 07 Beaver has both in and out fittings. The out fitting is a female coupler under the blue cap. The owners manual is very good about explaining which tank each goes to. The male fitting shown goes to the "wet" tank and allows air into the system just as if it was coming from the rigs compressor. So, brakes, suspension, even air horn work as normal. The air out is from the "dry" tank at normal pressure which allows tire filling, inner tubes for swimming or flat motorcycle tires alongside the road. (you've never seen a happier biker)

The tank drains are also there, just under the other fittings. Yes, it seems to me the drains should be low, but this is a factory set up. Perhaps they feel the loop of hose is the low point and allows any water that gets past the air dryer would collect there and be blown out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3375a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	17771  
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing