Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Would appreciate any info on this unit. There's a HR rally where I'm at and a dealer has this unit w/2900 miles on it. New MSRP is $228K selling as used for $159K. It's immaculate in and out.
This would be my first diesel. Any comments would be appreciated.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Would appreciate any info on this unit. There's a HR rally where I'm at and a dealer has this unit w/2900 miles on it. New MSRP is $228K selling as used for $159K. It's immaculate in and out.
This would be my first diesel. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I paid $172k for a new 2007 Diplomat 40' SFT about 5 months ago. I think my MSRP was around $245k. I think the important thing is how much factory warranty is left on this coach, since it is selling as used. I see a lot of new 2007's still listed on the internet, so the dealer has a lot of competition for your dollars. You could probably find a new 2007 for a little more and then you would have the new warranty. The 07's are very nice coaches, but seem to have a lot of warranty items that need to be fixed.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Lukeaa - Thanks for the reply.

We didn't go with the Ambassador. Price was nice but realistically it was really bigger and more MH than what we wanted. However if all goes well next Thursday we will be new owners of a new 07 Neptune.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

We moved up from a 2005 W22 Admiral and we really love the diesel. Monaco makes a great chassis.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reassurance. I wish we already had it because I'm going thru the "Am I doing the right thing switching from gas to diesel?"
Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We almost bought a gas Monaco and understand that everyone has a reason for their decisions. We're just happy that we have the diesel. When we made that first decision in May 2007, I had a few sleepless nights just wondering if we had purchased a MH too soon before retiring. So we just moved up our retirement date.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Bob Russo...
I know Sacs loves the diesel's torque over our old gas engine...
We can't wait for you to join us here on the Monaco Forum!

MM

(Gonefishin'....the only answer that is printable is ... )

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We've had 5 gas Winnebago A's since 1978. Must admit there's a bit of anziety in changing
manufacturer and fuel.

First, I have much to learn about diesel. My only experience is a small Kioti Tractor which means zero as far as a MH goes.

Then there is the learning curve for when to and how much air to dump; the 3 point levelers; a different slide mechanism and procedure; protecting that one piece windshield from stress cracking and from what I've been told I'm not getting to the top of the hill as fast as I did with the 8.1L.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then there is the learning curve for when to and how much air to dump; the 3 point levelers; a different slide mechanism and procedure; protecting that one piece windshield from stress cracking and from what I've been told I'm not getting to the top of the hill as fast as I did with the 8.1L. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Bob,

In my opinion, you made the right decision to upgrade to the new Neptune. You will have a full year under warranty to iron out whatever bugs are in the coach. Monaco customer service will work with you to make sure that happens - they are great to deal with. You can find answers to all of the concerns you mentioned with searches on this forum. Here is some information I've put together to help new Monaco/HR owners with some of the concerns you mentioned.

There are lots of positive trade-offs with respect to diesel vs. gas. The biggest of these is that, with the engine in the back, it is so quiet for traveling; and the maintenance intervals are very far apart. In fact, diesel engines don't take much maintenance at all. If you take care of the engine at the prescribed intervals, you will most likely never have to perform any repairs to it for the life of the motorhome.

The ISB engine is not the strongest, but it does get the job done. It is a truly reliable engine and one of the most economical engines that Cummins makes. Thats a real plus considering today's fuel prices. If you find you want a little more power for hills and starting "out of the gate", you can always add a Banks kit, which will give you those attributes without losing any economy. With the ISB rated at 325HP you may find you don't really need to do that, however.

PS... I worked with a Bob Russo years ago at Bekins. You wouldn't happen to be him would you?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Robin,

No, I'm not the Bob Russo you knew.

Thanks for the reply. I've been searching the forum quite a bit the past few days. Scanning the topics (I'm up to page 14) I've found some great info and tips including yours on setting up and tearing down.

I plan on giving it some time before doing anything about adding the banks.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I previously had a '99 Discovery with a Cummins ISB. I added the Banks TLC kit, and it made a huge difference my ability to climb hills and get up to speed from a full stop. But back then the ISB was only rated at 275 HP. I figure the Banks kit brought me about up to where you are at 325 HP.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
MM,
I made the the changes to my signature. Need your assistance to change the Karma.

Got to dealer mid afternoon Thrusday, finalized paperwork Friday PM. Started moving around 5:30pm and finished around midnight. Spent the night in it at the dealers lot in NC and drove to Cherry Hill in the DC area today. Will be here 4 nights and then back home to NH.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Well... I changed it last night...but I did not tell you...so no one could see the change
I am glad to have finally been able to make the change! Officially welcome to the Monaco Family!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote