Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptor07-42 View Post
My post about air leveling causing issues vs hydraulics is related to uneven ground mainly. Air leveling I agree is a good system, however in an uneven lot (and not by very much) when pulling into parks for the night or a few days in your travels you will sometimes come across uneven gravel lots or even pavement with drainage sloped lots or just poorly installed RV parks. In these cases air leveling systems cannot compensate for this uneven situation and cannot accurately level your RV or coach.

This is why when people order their coaches there is an option available where you can add the additional hydraulic jack leveling system along with having the air leveling system. Hydraulic jacks will level your coach in the event you have uneven ground. Air leveling system WILL NOT!!!!!

This is why in my opinion you should always have Hydraulic leveling systems first and if your coach has air leveling great but you better have the hydraulic levelers also as your backup. Also remember over time your air system can bleed out some and loose pressure depending on your coach system, year and model. So if your staying lets say 6 months on the same lot then you may need to start your coach each month to re charge your air compressor.
Hmm, I have to take issue with your opinion. We have both systems on our coach. We rarely use the jacks, simply because the air system is so convenient and so capable. The range of travel of the air system in our coach is greater than the jacks will extend. It will handle a wider range of conditions than the jacks will.

We visited 59 campsites in 2015, everything from resorts with paved pads to NFS campgrounds that might have seen a bulldozer five years ago. The air system never failed to get the coach level. It had to think about it for a few minutes occaisionally, but it always got there. It has coped with every combination of front-back and side-side conditions that we have asked of it.

I use the jacks when we are going to sit for a month, not because of any deficiency in the air system, but just to use the jacks to keep them operational. The last time we used them I had to help one of them up with a long lever; I think the springs are getting tired.

Just my experience.

Cheers,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptor07-42 View Post
My post about air leveling causing issues vs hydraulics is related to uneven ground mainly. Air leveling I agree is a good system, however in an uneven lot (and not by very much) when pulling into parks for the night or a few days in your travels you will sometimes come across uneven gravel lots or even pavement with drainage sloped lots or just poorly installed RV parks. In these cases air leveling systems cannot compensate for this uneven situation and cannot accurately level your RV or coach.

This is why when people order their coaches there is an option available where you can add the additional hydraulic jack leveling system along with having the air leveling system. Hydraulic jacks will level your coach in the event you have uneven ground. Air leveling system WILL NOT!!!!!

This is why in my opinion you should always have Hydraulic leveling systems first and if your coach has air leveling great but you better have the hydraulic levelers also as your backup. Also remember over time your air system can bleed out some and loose pressure depending on your coach system, year and model. So if your staying lets say 6 months on the same lot then you may need to start your coach each month to re charge your air compressor.

Hydraulic jacks might be a good thing to have as a back-up system, but I wouldn't want to use them all the time. The air leveling system on our coach has probably about 6" of travel, so if one side can be raised all the way up and the other side all the way down, that covers some pretty unlevel ground!

As for the air leaking down, our coach, and I suspect most others, have an auxiliary pump that keeps it level even though the main supply is down.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler, leveling