Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #1

Our 08 Dynasty has a HD hydraulic cooling fan. When we first bought the unit I could not hear the fan running. Most of the hydraulic systems use some sort of by pass valve that allows most of the fluid to just return to the tank until a temp. sensor calls for more cooling. After all the climbing we did in Oregon I noticed that I can hear the fan all the time. Even on a cool morning after start up. This cannot be normal. Any suggestions on what to look for? My first thought would be a bad temp. sensor. If I can find it I could check it with an ohmeter.

Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #2

Our 08 Dynasty has a HD hydraulic cooling fan. When we first bought the unit I could not hear the fan running. Most of the hydraulic systems use some sort of by pass valve that allows most of the fluid to just return to the tank until a temp. sensor calls for more cooling. After all the climbing we did in Oregon I noticed that I can hear the fan all the time. Even on a cool morning after start up. This cannot be normal. Any suggestions on what to look for? My first thought would be a bad temp. sensor. If I can find it I could check it with an ohmeter.

Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is a good description of the hydrauic fan operation in my 08 Camelot owner's manual. The same was in my 99 Dynasty manual. Hopefully, your manual has it also.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moisheh:
Our 08 Dynasty has a HD hydraulic cooling fan. Any suggestions on what to look for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
While you're there, make sure the high pressure hose from the transmission PTO is not rubbing on the case. One of the Monaco International members at the balloon rally last week showed me his hose that started to leak due to rubbing on the case edge. He lost 3 gallons but noticed the leak at a rest stop walk around that he always does.
CC
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #5

I found the problem today. I am recovering from major surgery and could not crawl under the unit until this morning. Looking at the fan motor I could see one hydraulic line and a starnge stud sticking out of the hydraulic motor. I wondered how could the fan motor change speeds if there was no means of controlling the hydraulic flow. Further investi gation revealed that this stud is part of the hydraulic solenoid that does control the flow. The mating piece was hanging from a wire bundle. Apparently when they assembled the drive train this solenoid was either missing a nut and washer or it was loose. Of course it is some wierd very fine metric thread ( Italian parts). I will call tech support and hope they can send me the parts. I did install the dangling piece and the fan slowed down right away!!!!!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #6

I do not want to hijack a thread but the Cummins website has an interesting series of articles on fuel mileage. One segment is on fan operation/mileage.
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote