RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
jb1

Talking Hydraulic fan motor leak and coolant leak

I have 2003 Monaco Camelot 38pst with Cummins 350 engine.
The hydraulic fan motor appears to be leaking at the shaft seal. Leakage residue indicates it has leaked for some time, and the reservoir is down about 1/2 pint. Does anyone know; is this seepage tolerable or in need of immediate fix? Cost of fix?
Also, I lose coolant from the coolant reservoir. There is no apparent leak, but it's gotta go somewhere!! Any clues?

jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Re: hyd fan seal. You might try some Lucas seal leak stop. There was a thread on the BAC tech board a while back about this. A shop outside Atlanta semed to do pretty good work rebuilding these. A good hyd shop locally, if you have one may do it too.

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Re: hyd fan seal. You might try some Lucas seal leak stop. There was a thread on the BAC tech board a while back about this. A shop outside Atlanta semed to do pretty good work rebuilding these. A good hyd shop locally, if you have one may do it too.
I agree, Lucas has something in it called polymers that will repair a minor seal problem, Give Lucas a call they are always glad to advise and help. That system if the same as our coach holds right at 5 gal and my unit has AW46 yours may or may not, it could be Dexron III or 10W 40 engine oil.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #4

I had the very same situation last July, 2010, on our 2003 FWood Revolution DP with Cummins 350 and 36,000 miles. Previous owner had not changed fluid as required, and the MH had sat for a couple years. When fluids aren't changed and seals are inactive, bad things usually happen. Over the years, I have had good success using Lucas on minor power steering shaft leaks on my collectible cars. A catostrophic seal failure here means a $70 rebuilt pump. That is NOT the case on you MH. That hydraulic fan motor is massive, expensive and is the heart of the cooling system of your $25,000 diesel engine. And it works off the same hydraulic system that operates your complete power steering system...also composed of very expensive parts. I know I would not even consider gambling on a $9 bottle of Lucas to "fix" the leak.

I am reasonably skilled with mechanical things, but I lacked the facilities, the experience or the confidence to do the job. If I screwed up, God knows what the consequences might be. I had our Freigtliner dealer tackle our leak. It is a big job and requires more than just workbench tools to complete. In addition, I was told by the FLiner dealer that they would only install a new pump for any warranty coverage and that they have been unable to locate reman pumps in the past even if I wanted to install it myself. Sigh. The new pump cost about $1,000 and labor was almost $900...and that is with a hard won discount "discussion" on my part.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe there will be something here that may help you make the right decision. Bottom line? I suggest you not screw around with time or Lucas on a VERY expensive piece of equipment. Bite the bullet, have it done right and enjoy a decent night's sleep. Consider the possible consequences if you don't. That could get REAL ugly.

Re coolant loss, check that the recovery tank is not cracked at the rear or the tank cap is not leaking. It is under pressure. Hoses and loose clamps are usual suspects. Also, stronly suggest you look around in the front of the MH for evidence of coolant loss from the MH's heating system. Culprits up there are hoses, clamps and, of course, the heater core. These things leak inside the coach before coolant is seen outside. Check for wetness inside the coach. Hope that helps. Please let us know what you decide, etc., since others may also like to know. Good luck...
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #5

Thanx for your input. Since posting the questions, I researched the hyd. fan motor situation.The motor was manufactured by Sauer Danfoss, and has been bought out by Berendsen Fluid Power of the UK. A new motor takes 3 months delivery time.($578.15 plus shipping). New seal kits should be available at Berendsen 800-360-2327 (US number). I talked with Sauer Banfoss at 515-239-6000, they said "do not use the Lucas Stop Leak". The system is too complex and expensive to gamble on.
At this point, I will change the Dextron III fluid and (filters: available at Fleet Services web site, not available at auto parts stores) and see what effect it has. It may be a "cold leak", caused by 14 degree weather while stored. Also will order the seal kit to have on hand.
jbpack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Good info re the pump and seals. Perhaps we have a different model pump than yours since our F/Liner dealership got ours overnight. A cold weather leak? Me thinks you may be grasping at the same straws that I wrestled with trying to justify my NOT doing something.

Your business, but I would sure talk to a qualified diesel tech (and I did) familiar with these things before I went to all the trouble of replacing a critical seal on a very expensive and important pump....and have it fail again. The labor alone to just get the pump off the coach and on the bench is formidable. Then...you have to put it all back together, including new fluid and filters. Most techs will tell you that these seals are under signifcant pressure and that they cannot duplicate the factory's method of installing them. You'll also be hard pressed to find a qualified tech who will install them AND be prepared to absorb the re-do labor costs if they fail again. Now all of your savings just went up the chimney and you are still at square one. Neither of the techs I talked to would even consider doing it since it consists of more than having a ballpeen hammer and a set of pullers. And our F/Liner dealer would only perform the repair AND provide a year warranty coverage by installing a new pump. That alone told me something. Shop comebacks at truck dealerships are a nightmare none of them want. Trust me or not, this is a BIG job that I would not even consider doing.

Honestly, not trying to tell you what to do. Just answering your original questions re "thoughts" on the issue. Good luck....
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpack1 View Post
Thanx for your input. Since posting the questions, I researched the hyd. fan motor situation.The motor was manufactured by Sauer Danfoss, and has been bought out by Berendsen Fluid Power of the UK. A new motor takes 3 months delivery time.($578.15 plus shipping). New seal kits should be available at Berendsen 800-360-2327 (US number). I talked with Sauer Banfoss at 515-239-6000, they said "do not use the Lucas Stop Leak". The system is too complex and expensive to gamble on.
At this point, I will change the Dextron III fluid and (filters: available at Fleet Services web site, not available at auto parts stores) and see what effect it has. It may be a "cold leak", caused by 14 degree weather while stored. Also will order the seal kit to have on hand.
About any good hyd shop should be able to repair your saucer danfoss, take the pump # so they can order the seals if not in stock, should be lots cheaper than replacing.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Jb1
I think any leak is too much, and they will only get worse. I also think that leak stopping fluids are good only if you are trying to get it some where to get it fixed or trying to make it home.
I rebuilt my fan motors myself. I bought the seals at a local hydraulic shop and installed them myself. It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Learn from my mistake, have it steam cleaned before you start. It is a messy job removing the fan motors if you do not. If you have tools and some mechanical ability you can do it your self.
Chris