Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #15

Hi Wamcneil; I know in our manuals that they call for the annual change. By the way, Nice Dynasty. I just changed mine last year on my 01 Windsor just to get a baseline since I had no previous service records. My also takes the Dex III fluid. When I changed mine it took 15.5 quarts. At least that is what I wrote in my service log. Mine has the 3 internal Nelson filters stacked on top of each other in the hyd tank. I see you mentioned you have the filter, so I am assuming you have the one external hyd filter. If it were me I would get a baseline to work with for your own piece of mind. I wish I had the external filter because that would make the job a lot less messy. I think that the annual change is overkill. I would just change everything and just change the filter every couple of years because it is an easy job to do. Just for FYI, after I changed everything on mine, the bottom return hose from the tank to the pump started leaking. I did not have time to fix it myself so took it to the Freightliner shop close to me. Now they had to take all the new fluid out that I had just put in. At least they called me before starting and I let them know I had just changed the fluid and filters. They said they would pump out the clean fluid and reuse it. After installing the new return line on the bottom of the tank, the tech informed me that in the bottom of the tank were a few small metal shavings in the tank. He said you want to make sure you keep the fluid clean as on my 01 Windsor with the Cummins ISC engine, the hyd pump for those years has been discontinued. Do not know what hyd pump is on your ISL, but I thought that was good advice. Keeping the fluid clean is part of the battle. Lots of opinions on this and I am sure you will come to your own conclusion. Have fun.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
This may help !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chassis Maint. Schedule.pdf (235.0 KB, 39 views)

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Dex 3 is readily available at any auto parts store.
Here's the skinny on transmission fluids:
https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/autotransfluid

Basically what you buy, labeled as DEX III may not meet the specifications of DEX III.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Great article Mr D !
In my GMC Denali I use Dex-3
In My Ford F-150 I use type F
In My Allison I use Transend
In my Race Car- GM Power Glide I always use Type F
MH Hydraulics-- Dex-3
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
The Monaco Manual says once per year. But thats probably a good way to induce some contaminants. Mine also says it holds 44 quarts.
Some years back some of the major auto manufacturers did extensive failure analysis due to warranty issues and found that a majority of transmission failures in the study were due to self-inflicted wounds from contaminants during fluid service and had little to do with fluid failures and component failures.

The pimping of fluid flushes ( Wallet Flushes) today...are recommended by dealers and the aftermarket and not by the manufacturers.

Look in your owners manual or the factory service manuals and you will see the discrepancy in suggested fluid service intervals from the manufacturer and what aftermarket is suggesting with doing their wallet flushes
Old 03-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everybody, but let's stay on topic please. We're not talking about putting Dex III in the transmission.
The question is regarding the coach's HYDRAULIC system. And my specific question is about some established interval for changing the FLUID (regardless of specific fluid type...).
Apparently Monaco used motor oil, Dex III and hydraulic oil in these systems interchangeably, so I don't think we need to debate the merits of officially licensed Dex III -vs- alternatives.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
This may help !
Ah, thanks for posting this highly relevant information. It's good to see actual chassis information calling for a certain HYDRAULIC FLUID CHANGE INTERVAL. I missed this message when it was posted and then everybody started jumping in to talk about transmission failures, transmission fluid flush scams and the general quality of transmission fluid available now-a-days.
I changed my hydraulic fluid and filter this afternoon, the old (as far as I know original 2003) fluid seemed to be in pretty good shape with no burned smell.
The Monaco manual specifies something like 7 gallons hydraulic system capacity (this is with the external spin-on filter), but 5 gallons drained out, and 5 gallons of new of ATF put the fluid level about halfway between the 'full' and 'add' marks on the dip stick.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Hydraulic fluid change interval?

How do you tell what's in it My manual says Dex III ONLY?
Is the Raycor IN HC5710 the same as the Nelson 83101B?

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA ENERGIZED Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

If it's red its probably dex III, if its clear or a light yellow or amber its AW-46. It could also have motor oil in it.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
My manual says Dexron III ("The hydraulic fluid used is an
automatic transmission fluid (Dexron III) which..."). Some folks are apparently reporting that Monaco used different fluids in the same systems, so apparently the specific oil type isn't critical.
But whatever the case, my system was filled with red atf, and I replaced it with red ATF (Dex III).
I have an external spin-on filter, and the manual lists the filter as: Parker IN HC 5720. This is apparently a misprint, and the actual part number is "HC 5720". I'm not sure if Parker makes that P/N anymore, but it cross references to Fleetguard HF6167, Napa 1759).
Fleetguard Hydraulic Filter Hf6725 - Cummins Replacement Part
Application: AG CHEM EQUIPMENT 609431; AG CHEM EQUIPMENT AG609431; INGERSOLL-RAND 59873539; SWIFT FILTERS; INC. SF7500-4-25UM; WESTERN STAR E0211B1R20; MP PRODUCTS CSG-100-A25A; STUDEBAKER 525M; VICKERS V0211B1R20Cross Reference: BALDWIN BT8309-MPG; DONALDSON P165877; FRAM P7253; NAPA 1759; WIX 51759
Height (inch): 6.71O.D.1 (inch): 5.08Thread: 1 1/2-16 UN-2B

The manual goes on to talk about some models having a Nelson reservoir with internal filters. If you've got the Nelson reservoir, apparently it'll use Nelson 84101B filters, but these are internal cartridge filters, and are not the same as the Parker spin-on filters for the tank/external filter.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I have both an external filter and the 3 internal. My approach has been to change the external and leave the internal ones alone. Less chance of introducing contaminants into the system.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've done the same, but I'm wondering if the internal Nelson filters can break down .
Old 03-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Good point. Anyone know what the internal filters are made of? Other option might be to just pull the internal ones and not replace?
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've often wondered why they installed both.

You try it, and I'll wait and see how you make out !

One thing I would never even consider doing, that I've read on this forum of people doing, is leaving the Hyd fluid in the reservoir, and fishing the Nelson filters out with a coat hanger ! Anything those filters have caught, are now left in the tank!

Tags
fluid, hydraulic