Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

Hydraulic Leveling Jacks don't work, where to start?

Now that I have my electrical system problems solved (thanks to the members of this forum), I need to move on to the next problem. We purchased a 97 Dynasty in July and everything works except for the leveling jacks.

On my last coach (98 Fleetwood Flair), you could hear the pump running when trying to engage them. On the Dynasty, I don't hear any noise (even had my wife go to the rear of the coach) when trying to engage them. It is a manual system with 3 buttons. Left, right, and front if memory serves me (3 jack system). I get nothing when pushing any of the buttons, however it does light up green when you turn the system on.

I have tried to search for information about them, but I don't even know where to start. Several questions: Does the coach need to be running to engage the jacks (I did try this but since the jacks are not working now did not know)? Also, is there any type of fuse to check?

Could someone give me some suggestions on where to start to look for the problem. I am not sure if it is electrical, pump, or jack related.

Any advice you could give on what to look for will be appreciated!
8thDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is it a HWH system? If it is see this web site:

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

Stuart's Service, talk to Chuck, he told me what to check, what to test and I just ordered the faulty valve (86.00). Very knowledgeable, saved me a bunch of money, great to deal with.
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The control panel most likely connects to a relay that provides the amps needed to power the motor. I'd look for that relay and check for power to there. That would eliminate the dash control and wiring to that point. Take it step-by-step to track down the problem point.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

I have a 97 Dynasty also and my jacks did not work at first. Pull the cup holder out and wiggle the wires to the switches. That fixed mine. Not sure why. I did buy new switches, but have not installed them.

Gary

Leslie, MI
44Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Tonner View Post
I have a 97 Dynasty also and my jacks did not work at first. Pull the cup holder out and wiggle the wires to the switches. That fixed mine. Not sure why. I did buy new switches, but have not installed them.

Gary

Leslie, MI
The connector could just be loose or dirty. Removing and spraying with contact cleaner could help.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

While my coach is a bit newer, I had a similar problem. Problem was the feed from the batteries terminated onto a solenoid on the front of the pump. The connection faces forward and was attached to the copper lug with a steel nut.

Excessive corrosion caused a total failure. Cleaned up the connector and all has been well ever since.

Good Luck.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hydraulic Leveling Jacks don't work, where to start?

I'm a new owner of a '95 dynasty and, iirc, the key needs to be in the ACC position to engage them ... you might try that.

(Edit: I just read your post again and believe we may very well have the same Jack system with three buttons and the lights light up when you turn it to the on position; suggest you do try the accessory position.)
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
returning to this, my coach has three jacks - one up front, two in rear. operating instructions are to lower the front jack first, then the rear jacks lest you torque the coach and crack the windshield.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
returning to this, my coach has three jacks - one up front, two in rear. operating instructions are to lower the front jack first, then the rear jacks lest you torque the coach and crack the windshield.
Just make sure you don't raise the rear tires off the road, they also are your parking brake and your RV could bend a jack. It's a good step to chock the front wheels to prevent any shifting if the spot is really out of level.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Just make sure you don't raise the rear tires off the road, they also are your parking brake and your RV could bend a jack. It's a good step to chock the front wheels to prevent any shifting if the spot is really out of level.
YIKES(!), didn't know that and it certainly answers a question i was going to pose to this group: when / do you chock your wheels?

thx very much for the heads-up, much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped other on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You should have an RVA Jack System. It is a great system and normally very reliable. The key must be in the ACC position for it to operate. Yes, you should hear a hydraulic pump running when you put any of the jacks down. Put the front jack down first, then the two rear. You can retract them all at once. You will not hear the pump run when you retract.

It will have a round horizontal hydraulic reservoir tank with a large cap on top. Mine was up in front of the dash area accessed from underneath. It uses ATF for fluid. It has a series of hydraulic solennoids that actuate when you press the down buttons.

RVA is still in bussiness in CA and can provide assistance over the phone. They tested my control box a couple of years ago and found a fault. I was able to purchase a new one and all was well.

They have a great online troubleshooting section.
RVA Jacks
(760) 746-5732
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
You should have an RVA Jack System. It is a great system and normally very reliable. The key must be in the ACC position for it to operate. Yes, you should hear a hydraulic pump running when you put any of the jacks down. Put the front jack down first, then the two rear. You can retract them all at once. You will not hear the pump run when you retract.

It will have a round horizontal hydraulic reservoir tank with a large cap on top. Mine was up in front of the dash area accessed from underneath. It uses ATF for fluid. It has a series of hydraulic solennoids that actuate when you press the down buttons.

RVA is still in bussiness in CA and can provide assistance over the phone. They tested my control box a couple of years ago and found a fault. I was able to purchase a new one and all was well.

They have a great online troubleshooting section.
RVA Jacks
(760) 746-5732

great info, thx!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
Commercial Member

the first step to repairing any system, jacks, furnace, water pump. etc, is to download a service manual. its really hard to do a good diagnosis without knowing what the sequence of operation is, along with the wiring diagrams.
most have a step by step procedure for diagnosing the problem. if these are hwh jacks, i can help. 1 602 549 3638
paul maddox
i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks