Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

hydraulic oil filter change

I have a 2004 beaver with the cat c9 and am looking to change the hydraulic oil
filter for the fan. The book says to releive pressue first? Never done this,
also, how much oil do you loose? I am also changing the air dyer filter. Same
sort of questions. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Jack M
jackmjr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jack, I have the Cummins and the hydraulic filter is in a can at the back of the coach. On mine, you unscrew the lid to the can (the can is about the size of a roll of toilet paper) and then remove the filter. It has a washer and spring in with it. You'll only lose what the filter has in it, which isn't much if you let it drip. Again, I don't know if the filter is a Monaco assembly or different assembly from Cat.

The Air dryer filter is easy to change once you break it loose. Drain the air out of your system and spin the filter off. If it's been on for a while, it will be stubborn. It spins off just like an oil filter. Once off, make sure you remove the old seal and the new one is installed on the filter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #3

As Don said, check that the old seals come off with the filters. The last time I changed my hydraulic filter I didn't realize that the old seal had stayed stuck to the housing (can't see it) until after I finally got the new filter threaded on correctly. Then I had to pull it off, watch more fluid drain out, peel the old seal off, and get it threaded on again.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmjr123 View Post
I have a 2004 beaver with the cat c9 and am looking to change the hydraulic oil
filter for the fan. The book says to releive pressue first? Never done this,
also, how much oil do you loose? I am also changing the air dyer filter. Same
sort of questions. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Jack M
On my 07 Dip:

Hydralic filter - no pressure to relieve, just take the top off. Notice that this area is filled with normal motor oil and NOT hydralic fluid ( or so it is on mine). Check your manual. The filter is cheap and can be bought from normal main street car parts shops. You don't loose a lot of oil at all. This is probably one of the easiest jobs you ever did on your RV.

Air drying filter - lots of pressure that needs to be drained before touching the filter at all. Release pressure by emptying tanks where you normally drain water trapped in this system. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE FILTER BEFORE YOU ARE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO PRESSURE LEFT. I recently bought my air drying filter from Peterbilt at a reasonable price since this was on sale. However, this is not one of the cheaper filters you will find.

Go for it!

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Jack M

Forgot to say welcome to this forum - just noticed that this is your first post.

I am pleased that you are here I am sure that you will find this a great place for information. Just ask, and someone is bound to have the answers - this is my experience.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
On my 07 Dip:

Hydralic filter - no pressure to relieve, just take the top off. Notice that this area is filled with normal motor oil and NOT hydralic fluid ( or so it is on mine). Check your manual.
Our 2004 Beaver uses Dexron automatic transmission fluid in the hydraulic system, as did our '03 Beaver Santiam (=Monaco Diplomat). Checking the manual, as well as any label on the tank, is an excellent suggestion.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your posts. It has been very helpful and will give the filters a try.

Jack M
2004 beaver
jackmjr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #8

Air dryer fiter

Why are yu changing the air dryer filter? That is one of those filter that do not need to be changed very often. The purpose of the filter, which I think is really a can of dessicant is to keep water out of the air brake storage tanks. So I would not bother changing until you find water in the tanks. Find the drain valves on the tanks and crack open. No water, dont worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
On my 07 Dip:

Hydralic filter - no pressure to relieve, just take the top off. Notice that this area is filled with normal motor oil and NOT hydralic fluid ( or so it is on mine). Check your manual. The filter is cheap and can be bought from normal main street car parts shops. You don't loose a lot of oil at all. This is probably one of the easiest jobs you ever did on your RV.

Air drying filter - lots of pressure that needs to be drained before touching the filter at all. Release pressure by emptying tanks where you normally drain water trapped in this system. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE FILTER BEFORE YOU ARE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO PRESSURE LEFT. I recently bought my air drying filter from Peterbilt at a reasonable price since this was on sale. However, this is not one of the cheaper filters you will find.

Go for it!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Why are yu changing the air dryer filter? That is one of those filter that do not need to be changed very often. The purpose of the filter, which I think is really a can of dessicant is to keep water out of the air brake storage tanks. So I would not bother changing until you find water in the tanks. Find the drain valves on the tanks and crack open. No water, dont worry
I disagree. If you wait until there is water in the tanks, the dessicant cartridge will be saturated, making it a mess to change and raising the possibility of wet dessicant getting in to the air lines. And you can be absolutely certain that you have been pumping wet air into the brake and suspension systems. That dryer cartridge is there solely to keep that from happening.

My manual says to change the cartridge annually. Because we spend almost no time running the engine in humid climates, I change it every two or three years.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #10

In my previous coach, the filter wasn't changed for 6 years. One day i was at the campground getting ready to leave and the coach wouldn't air up. After calling coachnet tech support, we diagonized this to be a clogged air dryer filter. Changing this was a mess and i was fortunate that i had a truck stop within 20miles where i drove in my car to get it.
Now i change it every 3 years as a part of maitenance. No more chances and no more mess during camping.
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #11

air dryer filter replacement

Ok, I stand corrrected. I forgot that I live and travel in a quite dry climate. My navigator is 5 years old and have never needed to change desicant cartridge. But no doubt if you drive or live east of the Missippi where its moist, the filter must be changed more often.
Sorry
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I carry a spare air dryer filter and both fuel filters. If you have an air dryer filter go bad on the road......you're stuck!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote