Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hydraulic Pump

Developed another leak in my hydraulic pump...2nd one. First one was in April 07 and now again. Not cheap to have new seals put in them, and not that easy to get at them to remove...probably didn't have 3,000 miles on the first repair....
Anyone else having issuues with there pumps???
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #2

Bruce, is this a repair you are going to do yourself? If so I would like to help. I am in Dewey for the next 3-4 weeks. Let me know when we can get started.

Rich
mohotravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bruce,
Which pump are you referring to?
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
They called it the hydraulic pump....for steering etc....I have a Cummins 350, and it sits beside the engine, and looks almost like a starter motor.....apparantly they didin't do a very good job resealing it last time, and for all I know it might have been weeping since...but when it turned into a steady flow of fluid, it was apparant, but looking in the engine compartment and the front of the toad......fluid everywhere.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have two leaks in that short of time you might wish to replace the full pump.

Years ago my mother had a car. and every time she made a hard left (As I recall) turn the seals on the power steering slave unit (Rack) would go out. Well.. The dealership replaced 'em under warranty a few times and then the dealership changed hands. The new owners went over it, even though my Mother thought warranty had expiered (It had not but that's another matter) and found that the shaft had a burr. they replaced teh shaft, but were concerned that the job was not done properly, so they sent a technician to Hamtrammack (Chrysler Training center) to learn more about the system and called her in to do it right.

You may have a rough spot on the shaft tearing up those seals
Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You may be right John, but I would think the hydraulic shop we have sent it to would be looking for that. That is of course if they are good at what they do....they come highly recommended, soooooo, let's hope!!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Moho....
No, I'm not doing it by myself...I'm doing it with a diesel mechanic who happens to live in Dewey....I am not that mechanical...but I can hand wrenches, supervise and give moral support!!
I appreciate your offer to help! In fact, my motorhome is stored at a covered RV storage facility in Dewey, where the owners are nice enough to let us work on it there...
Old 03-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce,
There is more than one place from which fluid could leak. One place to look before resealing the whole thing is at the O-ring where the 90* fitting mates with the pump housing, at the end of the hose. Spray off the pump with some brake clean, top, bottom and rear. Make sure it is dry everywhere, no oil. At this point you can try moving the hose and see if it swivels. It should not. You can do this through the hatch under the bed. I know, it is a long way down to the pump, but you can reach it from above. Ask me, I know. I had to relpace that O-ring twice. Once at 50,000 miles and once at 91,000 miles. Back to testing. Start engine and watch the pump from above with a bright light and you might be able to see exactly where it gets wet. If it does leak where the hose fitting enters the pump, let me know and we'll go to the next step. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to replace the O-ring, if it is your first time.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Harry:
The pump is already off, and was definatly leaking out the pump seal, not the hose....this is the second time I have had it rebuilt....we sent it down to a hydraulic shop in Phoenix, who has rebuilt it and bench tested it. Last time I had a RV dealer here in Prescott do the work, and who knows what they did or didn't do....that was right after I bought the MH and didn't know I shouldn't be using them for anything....this time I am working with a diesel mechanic who I know is knowledgeable.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce,
Sorry to hear that. Mine never leaked a drop from the pump itself, just the fitting. My friend had his 08 HR with 10,000 miles resealed at Rocky Mt Cummins and has had no more problems. Hopefully, this time you'll get it sealed. Hmmm, maybe that Tiffin is looking better.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Harry: After a pro-longed search for a trade-up, I learned that this is a great time to be buying a new or newer motorhome, but that used MH's have little value...they simply don't want them....the lot's are full of new 08's that aren't moving, even at give away prices......so we are keeping the 01...it's not like we are terribly disadvantaged! With ONLY 2 slides, we just had slide envy! Sorry we missed you at Quartzite!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofff View Post
Harry: After a pro-longed search for a trade-up, I learned that this is a great time to be buying a new or newer motorhome, but that used MH's have little value...they simply don't want them....the lot's are full of new 08's that aren't moving, even at give away prices......so we are keeping the 01...it's not like we are terribly disadvantaged! With ONLY 2 slides, we just had slide envy! Sorry we missed you at Quartzite!
Bruce,

My guess is that when the economy turns around and all the RV companies have gone under or cut way back on production there will be a time of short supply. That should drive the value of used motorhomes back up.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote