Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #1

Hydraulic radiator fan controller

So Iíve poured through dozens of posts but canít find my exact issue.

I think I need a new hydraulic fan motor solenoid. It appears I do not have the sauer Danfoss system on my bus that I see so often failing.

I could be wrong. I have a solenoid on the hydraulic motor and two hydraulic lines coming and going from the motor. The solenoid has two wires (pretty sure, tomorrow Iíll dig it out.).

I am getting intermittent high fan speed even when cold. When I get the high fan speed I am also getting a CEL. I get a code 647 fmi 4 which is ďfan clutch circuit shorted low.Ē

Any chance anyone else has had this issue and could provide help? Iíd love to find a part number for the solenoid on the fan motor.

Leaving for a trip Friday and hope to have this fixed. It just came up today.

2009 Camelot 42 ISL 425

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Cat

Most motors have a name and part number on them-- the solenoid also may have identifying numbers on it.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at this thread, it may help you.

Fan stuck wide open
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
At the risk of revealing my stupidity, may I ask if a hydraulic fan also has the serpentine belt around it? I'm assuming he my 07 Knight does not have a hyd.fan.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Following...
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
Cat

I've never seen a belt around a hyd fan. But the engine can still have belt that goes around the crankshaft to drive other components such as alternator, A/C compressor, engine water pump. So you can have a belt and still have a hyd fan.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Since our coaches are "Snowflakes," as in no two alike, Iíll describe how mine was built. Although the year is 2008, I ordered it in April 2007. Hopefully, yours was built the same as mine.

My fan controller is mounted chest high on the frame near the radiator and can be seen when in engine compartment looking toward the front. I can see mine when looking above and past the air filter.

The two-wire loom branches off from the cluster of wires next to the intake manifold. But only the ECM Fan Control Signal wire is used. The other wire is terminated inside the loom. The ECM Fan Control Signal wire connects to the fan controller solenoid. The second wire from the solenoid goes directly to a chassis ground.

So, in my case the ECM is making all the decisions on controlling fan speed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3852.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	195990

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3853.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	195991

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Since our coaches are "Snowflakes," as in no two alike, Iíll describe how mine was built. Although the year is 2008, I ordered it in April 2007. Hopefully, yours was built the same as mine.

My fan controller is mounted chest high on the frame near the radiator and can be seen when in engine compartment looking toward the front. I can see mine when looking above and past the air filter.

The two-wire loom branches off from the cluster of wires next to the intake manifold. But only the ECM Fan Control Signal wire is used. The other wire is terminated inside the loom. The ECM Fan Control Signal wire connects to the fan controller solenoid. The second wire from the solenoid goes directly to a chassis ground.

So, in my case the ECM is making all the decisions on controlling fan speed.

Attachment 195990

Attachment 195991
I am pretty sure, but not positive yet until I crawl under there after work, that my 2 wire solenoid is directly on the hydraulic motor. The hydraulic lines going to the motor are much larger looking, close to 1" OD.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #9

So here is what I could get out of Monaco/REV. This is what I have. They think that the solenoid is only supplied as part of the motor, you can see the wire from the solenoid hanging down on the left of the picture, they want me to take pictures to see if they could find the solenoid separately.

Sorry picture wont attach.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanBee View Post
So here is what I could get out of Monaco/REV. This is what I have. They think that the solenoid is only supplied as part of the motor, you can see the wire from the solenoid hanging down on the left of the picture, they want me to tak e pictures to see if they could find the solenoid separately.
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't even talk the same language as you guys!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You may have the Italian controller called Cassapa.
My fan started doing the same things your's did until it finally just ran wide open. Turned out the solenoid had finally slipped off its post on the fan pump. I could not find the custom nut required, so I used a short piece of heater hose and a hose clamp to hold the solenoid back in place. So far, so good.
See my post Cassapa Fan Control dated 12/17/17.
Good luck.
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #12

It is the casappa system and I did find the wire rubbed through to the solenoid on the fan. I repaired and tested the solenoid and itís all good. Unfortunately today I went to bring bus for alignment and got the fan code again. Along with another code and engine was de rated. Also high exhaust temp light was on. I drove 6 miles.

Cummins was next to tire shop so I left it there instead.

No joy, so sick of this already.

Tags
fan, hydraulic, radiator