RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Hydraulic Radiator Replacement

I have a leak on my aluminum hydraulic radiator (2007 Patriot Thunder C13 Winchester). Replacement radiator on order from Source Engineering in Eugene OR. Replacement does not look very complicated only because this is the outermost radiator in the stack ie the first one you see looking in. Any helpful hints from people who have done this? Looks like I will drain as much fluid (mine is red Dexron III) as possible before breaking any fittings. 48 quarts if the specs are correct. I am not overly concerned about reusing the current fluid as the specs call for Texaco Rando HD46. Cant find the Texaco product looks like it will be Chevron equivalent. One end of the radiator line goes to the fan motor the other end to the hydraulic tank via filter. Suggestions on where to break the lines to create the least mess will be appreciated. With luck the replacement radiator will ship this Friday and take 5-6 days to reach me - then the fun starts.

PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just rebuilt our hydraulic pump. Mine holds 14 gallons of Dexron III. I drained it into 5 gallon buckets. I bought new Dexron III from Walmart for $14.94 per gallon.

Distaff replaced his oil cooler and radiator last month. He has a 2006 Patriot Thunder.
Has anyone on here replaced a side radiator themselves?

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
Looks like I will drain as much fluid (mine is red Dexron III) as possible before breaking any fittings. 48 quarts if the specs are correct. I am not overly concerned about reusing the current fluid as the specs call for Texaco Rando HD46. Cant find the Texaco product looks like it will be Chevron equivalent.
Ah, another with wrong information in the owners manual!
Both my owners manual, and chassis manual say it was filled with Rando HD46. Sure looks like ATF to me !
Old 08-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

We replaced ours. It was a simple job, two hydraulic connections on the side of the radiator and a few bolts holding it in. Expect to find a lot of crap behind it to be cleaned out, we had junk, leaves, etc. Lots of Simple Green and water did the trick.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have not really looked closely at the radiator setup on my coach - but this thread got me thinking about it.

How many radiators are there - three or four (i.e. engine coolant, CAC, Transmission, and Hydraulic)? Not to mention the AC condenser which may be mounted to the radiator).

Is the Transmission Cooler separate from the Engine Radiator (or do they share the same housing)?

Picture from my Owners Manual (doesn't show engine coolant radiator and seems to suggest that the trans cooler is separate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	256065  
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

This is funny. I just had a post about a leak in my oil cooler. I ordered a new one from Jim at Source, waited until it arrived to pull the old one, and when they were on the ground beside each other I realized that the new one was a mirror of the old one, and I couldn't use it.

Since it was the week of Independence day I couldn't reach Jim, and I needed to get on the road, I found a local shop that could cut out two rows of tubing in the old one and weld it off.

Jim was ticked off that I had the old one fixed, said he'd have authorized a shop to cut off the brackets and weld them on the other side. Too bad I told him, you were not open and I needed to act. How could I know that he wouldn't say "that voided the warranty"?

I shipped it back to him (he wouldn't cover my return shipping cost even though it was not at all my fault), and he said he would cut off the bracket and weld it on and sell it to the next guy.

Looks like you may be the "next guy".

To remove it just put a big pan under the low point and remove the small drain plug, then remove the top plug. After draining it, take the top hose off first and tie it up high. On my coach the bottom fitting didn't want to rotate on the hose end - it had corroded - so it was rotating the elbow fitting and the hose that turned back into the coach. I had to jack a piece of wood under the elbow to brace it and keep it from turning, then I could crack the fitting. Needed a 1 1/4 wrench, a big adjustable, and a snipe to get it to crack.

When you have the fittings off check them, my rear one coming from the filter had corrosion in the face and I had a new hose with fittings made to go from the filter to the cooler. My rear one was good.

I removed it alone, needed help to put it back in.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, hydraulic, radiator, replace, replacement