Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

Hydraulic Slide uneven extension

I am having a problem with one of the slides not extending and retracting evenly. I have three slides. A bedroom slide that operates electrically with no problems, a full wall slide that operates hydraulically that operates correctly and a smaller slide on the same side as the bedroom slide that is also hydraulic. The smaller hydraulic slide has always had a minor issue of the right corner popping into the fully extended position after the left corner has already "seated" and fully extended. I am wondering if there is a simple way to adjust the right corner to make it synchronize with the left or if this is something I should take to a service center for inspection/repair. No other problems have been noted regarding the slide not being in proper position when extended or retracted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Are the hydraulic cylinders mounted vertical on either end of the slide and is there aprox 4” of space between it and the outer wall when out? Mine like that would get so out of sync that it would stop going out...had to push on the side lagging behind to get it out. This started after 6 years of working fine and lasted for several years and then fixed itself. Compared to what mine did, I would not worry about what you describe as there is not an easy way to adjust.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

I have two metal cylinders (one on each side of the slide) that "push" and "pull" to extend and retract the slide and there is about 4" of space between them and the wall. It appears there is some adjustment available as there are some "jam" nuts and threads on each of the metal cylinders. On one occasion, my situation was the same as described and had to push on the "slower" moving side and then it caught up and went into position correctly but fear if I did not it would have gotten jammed due to the uneven extension. Pushing on the side moving slow did even it up without an issue. The slides on motorhomes and campers in general have always made me a little nervous and wonder if a prayer should be said before extension and retraction. I am happy I have not had a problem with the full wall slide as the weight of this seems unlikely that pushing on it in either direction would make much difference.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #4

If the slide is in the correct position when fully extended and retracted I don’t see how an adjustment on the jam nuts would be helpful, especially if your not familiar with their effect on the slide. You possibly have a third equalizing cylinder that comes into play. I would find someone familiar with the system to take a look.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
If the slide is in the correct position when fully extended and retracted I don’t see how an adjustment on the jam nuts would be helpful, especially if your not familiar with their effect on the slide.
X2 and a slight difference in when each side is fully extended comes under my “It ain’t broke...Leave it alone”.

There is no way to “adjust” the pressure going to each cylinder as they are feed from a T in the hydraulic line. I have no idea why mine decided to fix itself.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
On my 04 Signature the manual says to hold the button in the on & off position for about 10 seconds after the slide stops in both directions. The synchronizing (3rd hyd. cylinder) can equalize the other hyd. cylinders. It worked on mine when the slide out of whack…

Safe travels
Dave

Tags
hydraulic, slide