RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, my drip is of the liquid gold nature - diesel fuel. I noticed it the other day when we arrived at a state park with a nice, smooth cement pad. I have no idea how long it has been dripping, as my last site was gravel, and we were there for about two months. I have a pretty good idea that it was dripping then, because my next fillup showed my mileage was 6.12mpg, as opposed to my normal 7.8-8.3.

I called Monaco tech support and they hooked me up with Rocky Mountain Cummins. I have a 6:30am appointment The drip appears to be coming from what I would call a "plug" in the bottom of the tank. There are a couple of these plugs - not sure if they are drains or not. I do know one is draining my precious fuel.

I suppose this post could be a "be sure to check your plugs", or just a "sucks to be me to have to get up tomorrow at 5:30". Regardless, I will post up what the service center finds tomorrow.

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, my drip is of the liquid gold nature - diesel fuel. I noticed it the other day when we arrived at a state park with a nice, smooth cement pad. I have no idea how long it has been dripping, as my last site was gravel, and we were there for about two months. I have a pretty good idea that it was dripping then, because my next fillup showed my mileage was 6.12mpg, as opposed to my normal 7.8-8.3.

I called Monaco tech support and they hooked me up with Rocky Mountain Cummins. I have a 6:30am appointment The drip appears to be coming from what I would call a "plug" in the bottom of the tank. There are a couple of these plugs - not sure if they are drains or not. I do know one is draining my precious fuel.

I suppose this post could be a "be sure to check your plugs", or just a "sucks to be me to have to get up tomorrow at 5:30". Regardless, I will post up what the service center finds tomorrow.

--kevin

Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Kev,

Sounds like an easy fix, but you're right... Having to get up at 5:30 am to attend to it does suck.

I'll be interrested to hear what the cause was. In any event, glad you found it sooner, than later.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wow - there are other people up and out at 6:30 in the morning! I don't usually get to experience that time of day

Found out that there is a pin hole in the bung that is welded to the tank. Monaco said they would warranty a repair to the tank, as opposed to replacing it completely. They are going to drain and remove the tank, then send it out to a welder. My first question: will you be able to recover the 75ish gallons of diesel fuel you have to drain??? Luckily, the answer was yes.

So, looks like we will be here a few days. Hopefully we won't have to be here over the weekend. Once they remove the tank, they will drag the coach to a spot where they have electrical hookups. That will be home until it is finished.

--kevin

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #5

digNbubbs,
Sorry to hear of your problems. Kind of wondering if they will clean up the residue for you also. Looks like it got on a lot of the undercarriage.
Something to think about if you haven't already.
Hope its resolved to your satisfaction.
Letsgoagain
Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #6

Old British cars are well known for their drips. The drips are designed to provide rust protection, some say.

Maybe you should consider your residue free undercoating???
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ah - free undercoating. I will go with that

Day two of parking lot camping at Cummins. They drained and removed the tank yesterday, and sent it out this morning for welding. They say that it should be back by this afternoon, and they will re-install tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to leaving tomorrow, as we did not plan well for a three day stay. We have about 10 gallons left in the fresh tank, and about 8% left in the propane tank. We are making do with heat pumps, but it is dipping down pretty cold at night. Small electric heater taking up the slack at night.

Here is the removed tank:

Hopefully I can get a picture of the tank before they re-install it tomorrow. I would like to see that it is very clean inside. I had them replace the fuel filters on the coach, and I bought two to take with me. Figured all this probably knocked some stuff into the fuel system.

If anyone is in the neighborhood, feel free to bring fresh water

--kevin

Old 04-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
That tank looks huge, when you see it outside the motorhome like that.

Glad to hear Monaco is covering this under the chassis warranty for you.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Having to get up at 5:30 am to attend to it does suck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's 2 5:30 in the same day??

When our coach was new it leaked. Thankfully it was a loose clamp on the fill tube. Good luck Kevin.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
As much of a pain as this is......there is one bright side.

Having to empty and remove the tank, they have to clean the inside, so if you have any "junk" in it - it will be cleaned out.

I'm sure they will filter the fuel as they put it back in the tank. Or at least they ought to.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My fuel tank also leaked shortly after I picked it up. It was rewelded at the factory service center with the fuel still in it. It has to have at least 3/4 of a tank. However, it still leaks. I have another appointment and I have requested a new tank this time.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have repaired many fuel tanks with JB Weld. I have also had good luck having them welded. If that was my tank I would make sure the fuel is filtered that is put back in the tank.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Back on the road

They finished today around one. Also had them do an oil change since I was due. They got the tank welded, hung it up to dry overnight, and reinstalled this morning. Monaco covered the repair bill.

They had an electric pump with a filter for the returning fuel. They also replaced both fuel filters, and I bought two extras just in case any junk got knocked loose during the transaction.

Getting pushed in to the bay. Note the icebergs behind the coach - had to break that off my rear curbside slide topper.

The weld

--kevin

Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Kev... I was shocked to see the ice..until I looked to see that you are in Colorado! I had no idea you left Florida yet.

Safe journies to the West...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote