RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #15

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Bill Adams , your last post above is WELL SAID. I totally agree with you. No matter what I am also a Directv junkie and also you got to love them XM Radio tones , I got over now 20 stations of music with the premier package. and premier movies HBO, CINEMAX, SHOWTIME, STARZ and my favorite is Military channel.
So if it gets over $120 a month so just pay it and go on with your life.

george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Bill is right. I gotta have my DirecTV. Had it since it first came out and I spent $1,200 on my first receiver.

NFL Ticket has gone up from $100 - $200 over the past few years. Also, I pay an extra $100 for SuperFan for High Def and a few other features for us football junkies. They would have to go pretty high for me to opt out.

Lets not forget about the NFL channel and regional sports stations galore.

BTW, so far HD NFL Ticket gets around blackout rules. I have a feeling this will go away w/every station going digital this year as HD will be available Over the Air nearly everywhere.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:
Bill is right. I gotta have my DirecTV. Had it since it first came out and I spent $1,200 on my first receiver.

NFL Ticket has gone up from $100 - $200 over the past few years. Also, I pay an extra $100 for SuperFan for High Def and a few other features for us football junkies. They would have to go pretty high for me to opt out.

Lets not forget about the NFL channel and regional sports stations galore.

BTW, so far HD NFL Ticket gets around blackout rules. I have a feeling this will go away w/every station going digital this year as HD will be available Over the Air nearly everywhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lucky for me the "Golf" channel is part of my current package.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I guess you guys know that if you call DTV and inform them of the great offer Dish just made you they will drop your bill $30.00 or so for 12 months, then when they go back up just call again...I've done this twice and it works like a charm.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In the near future (6-12 months is the current best guess but maybe 2 years) you will only need a 3 head dish that will pick up the 101 KU band and the 99 and 103 KA band satellites. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is that the 3 LNB we currently have will not be the same 3 head dish needed 2 years from now. ??

Has anyone had experience with reducing their service from HD to regular non-HD programming and had to agree to a new 2 year committment? We are going to do so since the MH does not have HD yet.

DTV has a Customer Retention Department and it is our past experience that they will work with you and offer discounts in order to keep you as a customer.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My guess is that the 3 LNB we currently have will not be the same 3 head dish needed 2 years from now. ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No need to guess...The current 3 head dish will pick up the 101, 110 and 119 and will be nearly useless in very short order. The new dish requirement is for a 5-head Slimline antenna and the future of DTV is a dish with a Cobra LNB (looks like 1 LNB but actually contains 3 LNB's) that will receive the 99KA, 101KU and 103KA satellites.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoneFishin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In the near future (6-12 months is the current best guess but maybe 2 years) you will only need a 3 head dish that will pick up the 101 KU band and the 99 and 103 KA band satellites. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is that the 3 LNB we currently have will not be the same 3 head dish needed 2 years from now. ??

Has anyone had experience with reducing their service from HD to regular non-HD programming and had to agree to a new 2 year committment? We are going to do so since the MH does not have HD yet.

DTV has a Customer Retention Department and it is our past experience that they will work with you and offer discounts in order to keep you as a customer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmmm, so they have a customer retention center that supposedly cares about losing my $100 a month, huh... Ok, let's put that into perspective for a moment and let's err on the lean side.

Suppose that there are only 12,000,000 customers in each state of the union that each pays on average $75 a month..

12,000,000 customers per state
52 States =
624,000,000 customers
$75 per month (on average)
$46,800,000,000
12 month a year =
$ 561,600,000,000

And that's assuming only 12,000,000 in each state.

Soooo, does my meager $100 a month or $1,200 a year really matter?

I think not!

But hey, maybe my math is off; perhaps one of you mathematicians can recheck my work and tell me my $100 a month really is more than a drop in the ocean.

Just for fun, suppose my figures are only 50% of reality and there's twice and many customers. That means DirecTV could be bringing in $1,123,200,000,000.00 .

Now what's the current national dept? As of this evening it's $9,192,837,126,129.

Heh heh.... there's the answer, the US needs to launch their own version of DirecTV and pay off the national dept in a decade.

And what about customers in Canada and Mexico?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya Know, i stopped Smoking in 1998 and My gift ,[other than keeping my wife], Was getting the DTV. It was about half the cost of my "habit". I have a friend who bought some smokes the other day. He payed more for those smokes than me Paying twice what I do to get what I get!! I will stay with DTV as they have more to offer and My lungs and wife think them...Very Much!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Mbl Cndo posts:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">12,000,000 customers per state, 52 States = 624,000,000 customers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many states??? It's not noon on Friday yet, is it???
And a lot of those states don't have 12,000,000 people, let alone 12,000,000 customers.
You doubled the US population with the amount of customers you came up with..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
SACS...we have Dish, and it's not any better...you rent their equipment, and it also shuts down if there is no power to the reciever for about a week or so...it's a pain in the @#$@@.....I get all kinds of error messages when the dish is trying to dial in the satellite..takes probably 10 minutes of trying to finally get it working. The good news is, when it works, it works fine. The good part of Dish is you don't need an extra reciever for the MH...I just use the one I had in the spare bedroom. It's still over $100 for the full channel selection. It's all a rip!!!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
Mbl Cndo posts:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">12,000,000 customers per state, 52 States = 624,000,000 customers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many states??? It's not noon on Friday yet, is it???
And a lot of those states don't have 12,000,000 people, let alone 12,000,000 customers.
You doubled the US population with the amount of customers you came up with.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Too much merlot, too many states? I thought we adopted Mexico last year? Heh heh... Good catch SACs (by the way how is it that you live in Sacramento and MM lives in Central Oregon - talk about a long commute?). Anyway, I was just trying to make point. You're right though, the "documented" U.S. pop IS only 'bout half at 303,297,728. Doesn't diminish that we're all getting hosed by DTV while we all sit on our laurels with the DTV controller in our hands. I canceled my HD programming last night (that'll teach them eh?). After our 4 day weekend, I'll get with the local Dish people and see whether they use some type of jelly, the DTV people don't and "ouch" it hurts, and consider changing over.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:35 AM   #26

If we had to justify using the Service or not we wouldn't be sitting in our units either....... Let's face it we have to pay whatever the market will bare. Sounds like if it was doubled people would still pay for it. But I have to agree it is a rip

07 Trailbazer HRRVC-Webmaster
discfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #27

The majority of TV watcher are not DirecTV or Dish Network subscribers. The last time I checked DTV had something like 15,000,000 subscribers and Dish around 10,000,000. That's still a big number and those who NEED satellite TV and get mad at their provider simply move from DirecTV to Dish or Dish to DirecTV. It happens everyday so even that "loss" is made up by the gain.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
mbl, I hear you about leasing your equipement, however, you can force that issue. When I bought my Dynasty in March and it came with 2 receivers. When I got my bill it showed that they were leased. I called DTV and told them that they would have a hard time getting them back because they were part of the MH when I bought them and now they were mine, case close! They agreed and changed them to owned on my future bills. Also their customer retention will work with you to try and keep you in the family. I'm sure that if you bought your equipement at Best Buy you could get the same thing done.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote