RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #1

We've had this service for about 13 years. We've also had it in our last 3 RV's. DTV has pretty good service and very very convenient. However, my jubilance ended yesterday when I read a little scroll bar at the bottom of one of the local HD channels indicating that all consumers in the greater SoCal area would have to replace their equipment because DTV is switching satellites; or lose all HD programming. Let me back up for a moment and also add that I own all of my equipment, the HD receiver was the costliest, ringing in at just under $300 and another $100 for the 3LNB HD dish. Ok, let me continue. I called the folks at DTV about this and they indicated that the (new) equipment can no longer be purchased, but must be leased, thus a monthly lease payment on top of the ridiculous fees I already pay for ... a service. Oh, but it gets worse. When I signed up for HD service about a year ago, there was no mention that if they added new channels that I'd have to pay more money in fees. When I inquired about the additional HD channels, I was advised that the added channels would be another $14.95 a month, in addition to the $9.95 I already pay. So now we're looking at an eeeeasy $100 a month for....what.. Air waves? At least they could give us a kiss, dinner, and a glass of wine before doing you-know-what to us. Needless to say I was pretty spun up by now, but being the camp director of self abuse, I moved on to the second reason for the call.

The other reason I called was to find out why my service keeps being terminated on the receiver in my RV when not in use. They indicated that when there's no power going to the receiver, it shuts down and can only be restarted by calling DTV. Of course, even though it goes off, I still have to pay for service that I'm not getting.

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but this is ridiculous! In the first instance, one could surmise that they are (allegedly) switching satellites for the sole purpose of forcing the millions of subscribers in southern California to lease equipment and thus pouring more money (fees) into their already bulging pockets; ostensibly a cold and calculated greedy tactic to increase their revenue. After all, you have ~24 million residents in SoCal. If even 1/4 are DTV subscribers and end up paying a $10 per month lease fee, that's added revenue of $60M per month or $720,000,000 per year. Again, greed? If that's not staggering enough, consider that if half the residents in SoCal were subscribers and paid an average of $75 a month, that would put $10,800,000,000 into their pockets annually. AND THAT'S ONLY SOCAL!

Then there's the little issue with turning off my service, but continuing to charge me.

All this would be more palatable if they we're providing some tangible service. Don't get me wrong, I and my family like the convenience of DTV, but at what point do fees become intolerable?

I'm not sure Dish is any better, but could they be worse? Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the ear....

Ok, I'm going to go pour myself a glass of Merlot and watch NCIS....

Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #2

We've had this service for about 13 years. We've also had it in our last 3 RV's. DTV has pretty good service and very very convenient. However, my jubilance ended yesterday when I read a little scroll bar at the bottom of one of the local HD channels indicating that all consumers in the greater SoCal area would have to replace their equipment because DTV is switching satellites; or lose all HD programming. Let me back up for a moment and also add that I own all of my equipment, the HD receiver was the costliest, ringing in at just under $300 and another $100 for the 3LNB HD dish. Ok, let me continue. I called the folks at DTV about this and they indicated that the (new) equipment can no longer be purchased, but must be leased, thus a monthly lease payment on top of the ridiculous fees I already pay for ... a service. Oh, but it gets worse. When I signed up for HD service about a year ago, there was no mention that if they added new channels that I'd have to pay more money in fees. When I inquired about the additional HD channels, I was advised that the added channels would be another $14.95 a month, in addition to the $9.95 I already pay. So now we're looking at an eeeeasy $100 a month for....what.. Air waves? At least they could give us a kiss, dinner, and a glass of wine before doing you-know-what to us. Needless to say I was pretty spun up by now, but being the camp director of self abuse, I moved on to the second reason for the call.

The other reason I called was to find out why my service keeps being terminated on the receiver in my RV when not in use. They indicated that when there's no power going to the receiver, it shuts down and can only be restarted by calling DTV. Of course, even though it goes off, I still have to pay for service that I'm not getting.

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but this is ridiculous! In the first instance, one could surmise that they are (allegedly) switching satellites for the sole purpose of forcing the millions of subscribers in southern California to lease equipment and thus pouring more money (fees) into their already bulging pockets; ostensibly a cold and calculated greedy tactic to increase their revenue. After all, you have ~24 million residents in SoCal. If even 1/4 are DTV subscribers and end up paying a $10 per month lease fee, that's added revenue of $60M per month or $720,000,000 per year. Again, greed? If that's not staggering enough, consider that if half the residents in SoCal were subscribers and paid an average of $75 a month, that would put $10,800,000,000 into their pockets annually. AND THAT'S ONLY SOCAL!

Then there's the little issue with turning off my service, but continuing to charge me.

All this would be more palatable if they we're providing some tangible service. Don't get me wrong, I and my family like the convenience of DTV, but at what point do fees become intolerable?

I'm not sure Dish is any better, but could they be worse? Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the ear....

Ok, I'm going to go pour myself a glass of Merlot and watch NCIS....

Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Feel better now? I have had DTV every bit as long if not longer as my stack of dishes, receivers and LNBs will attest. I agree with everything you said. Kind of make you long for the days of rabbit ears with pieces of aluminum foil wrapped around them doesn't it. Unfortunately like most everything else it is all about the money. Maybe when we decide to blow our tvs, throw aways the papers, move to the country and plant a little garden they will be at our mercy.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live in Bakersfield and I have had DirectTV for quite a while as well. The other day, I was watching Universal HD and then I went to another channel. I went to switch back and there was a notice that I wasn't a subscriber. I called and asked about it.The kid on the phone told me that he could hook me up and that I would have to pay an additional amount to get UHD and some other HD channels. I asked why that was since I already am paying for it and it worked not 15 minutes before. He wasn't interested in helping so I pressed and was sent to Tech Support. I explained the issue again and was told that the other person had been wrong. Not only did the Tech person get my UHD back on, but I was given another 17 or so HD channels that I didn't have for no extra cost. She stated that I was supposed to have been notified back in October?? At any rate, my HD channels more than doubled for no extra cost. May I suggest that you call back again and try another person?
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
MblCndo...
I decided to shortcut this down to the "Technolgy" section where everyone can jump on the bandwagon. (Believe it or not...other RVers besides Monaco has DirecTv! )

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... Kind of make you long for the days of rabbit ears with pieces of aluminum foil wrapped around them doesn't it.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The days of rabbit ears are back. I have a 46" Sony Bravia LCD HD, Comcast and rabbit ears. I don't even like to watch cable anymore. The HD DTV over the air signal gives me a picture to die for. Monday I purchased a HD TiVo that has over the air and cable inputs and two tuners. Now life is complete! I find myself watching the picture and not the show.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"MblCndo" I think you need to put a lot of pressure on DTV, because it is not right and unfair.

I may be incorrect on this but I believe your present HD DTV receiver will work just fine with the new LNB's.

DTV needs to just replace your dish and LNB's at no cost...after all they have to make it possible for you receive their service.

I do not have DTV. I did years ago, but when they changed their packages and increased the price by almost 25%, I dropped them like a rock. I now have DISH and find them very helpful, friendly and I like their price and package contents. I recently switched to their HD package at NO cost at all. I carry it in the RV everywhere I go...it works really well.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #8

They said it would require a 5 LNB dish and a different receiver to receive a signal from the new satellite.

Finally, this impacts all of us that have RV's, regardless of where you're from, as it renders our current satellite useless except for non-HD programming. Yeah, I know it sounds petty, but darn it, it's just not right!! I bought the MotoSat BECAUSE it could receive HD.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #9

Mbl Cndo,
Please do not take any part of this post as diminishing your feelings in any way. I don't like spending any unnecessary money but I do like progress. This appears to be a necessary evil of that progress. The nice thing is that if you don't want to move forward to HD (like me) it's not going to cost you a thing. However, if you want to be able to take advantage of the new HD programming that DTV is making available it's going to take new hardware and it's going to cost more. DTV just spent untold billions of dollars to build and launch 2 new KA band satellites that will provide the most HD programming available ever to satellite users and they claim more than even cable users have. DTV has been "leasing" their consumer hardware for many years now. The R-15 that I bought outright at Best Buy is clearly stated as a leased piece of equipment and must be returned to DTV upon completion of my service. They do not charge me a lease payment. I have not heard of anyone else indicating that they are paying a monthly lease either. This may be something new, I just haven't heard of it yet. They are correct that you need a new receiver that is capable of MPEG4 and a slimline 5-head dish to get all of the current DTV programming (HD and SD).
In the near future (6-12 months is the current best guess but maybe 2 years) you will only need a 3 head dish that will pick up the 101 KU band and the 99 and 103 KA band satellites. This makes things somewhat complicated for RVers but DTV has so few RV customers compared to their home users it would be impossible for them to make any decisions based upon the RV market. Those of us that choose to move their homes around just have to hope that someone like MotoSAT will continue to spend the time and money to try to keep up with what the Dish and Direct companies are doing.
As to your receiver turning itself off, this has always been the case for as long as I can remember. It is not something that DTV is doing, it is a routine built into the receiver which is designed to help prevent the fraud that was taking place in the past. It takes about 30 days of not seeing a signal for the receiver to shut down. If you can put the receiver on-line once a month are so it will prevent this problem. If you know that you are not going to be using a receiver for an extended period of time you can call DTV and have the service stopped if it is a slave receiver or suspend your entire account if it is a master receiver.
Dish Network programming is currently a bit easier for RVers to deal with as they are still using all KU band satellite (and only 3) for all of their programming. They tend to be a few years behind whatever DTV does so whether KA band satellites are in Dish's future I have no idea. For those RVers who use a dome antenna to receive their satellite TV, the HD signals will be totally lost as no dome built today is capable of receiving a KA band signal. That means they can move to Dish Network or buy a new open face antenna.
Now, where do I start my rant about the price of diesel fuel and the Goverments handling of the economy! :s
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interestingly enough, when I got the HD DVR, they changed my dish to what appears to be a 3 LNB unit. During the episode mentioned above, the Tech had me change my receiver to a 5 LNB unit and viola! I didn't have to change the dish at all??
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #11

I understand how you feel. DTV just keeps going up. I may have to do as I do with everything else when the price reach a certain point is"do without". When enough people do this they will lower price or go broke. Makes no difference to me.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by full-timer:
I understand how you feel. DTV just keeps going up.

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had DirecTV for 6+ years and I only recall one price increase.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #13

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Come on guys admit it . You can live without your Directv hook up to your TRAC VISION R5 in- motion with its built in 2 LNB lines going down the highway. watching your favorite football or baseball team or pay per view movies while your DW is making you your fozen margaritas and your surround sound is kicking tones.
After all you know what, they say it's only money. YOU CAN"T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!!!!

george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I may have to do as I do with everything else when the price reach a certain point is"do without". When enough people do this they will lower price or go broke. Makes no difference to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just remember that too many of us (myself included) are such TV junkies that we will pay any price as long as the service is dependable (mobile is a big bonus). I will never go without TV and everyone selling cable, satellite or providing OTA broadcast know this. You really only have 2 choices. Pay or not. DTV and Dish Network gain and lose customers every single day but they both gain more than they lose as the service offerings get better and better and more and more people move farther away from the "grid". I would like to get my TV for $29.99 like those cable ads on TV but that would mean moving into a house in the city. No thanks!, I guess it's satellite TV for me no matter what.

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote