Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up I serviced the Onan generator today - not a bad job

With a total of 355.5 hours on the meter, I serviced the Onan Marquis I 6500 generator in our Monaco Dynasty today. I found it to be a fairly quick and simple job, very straight-forward.
Fresh 15-40 oil (3.3 qts)
New oil filter
New air filter
New spark plugs (gapped to 0.023")

I especially appreciated the design of the drain plug (below the oil fill). It could be undone with my hands (it helps that I have small hands) and allowed the oil to drain directly down into the drain pain (on top of a puppy-training paid in case I missed).

I had foreseen one "problem" and brought the right tool with me to overcome the hurdle.

I noticed that when I removed the oil filter, the oil that drained from the filter was going to run down and onto the steel frame supporting the generator. Yukky... I brought some extra heavy duty aluminum foil (actually had it in the coach) and shaped a funnel-like contraption for the oil to flow down and into the drain pan laying on the ground (on top of the aforementioned puppy-training paid in case I missed).

Less than an hour - no mess and purrs like a 2-cyl. kitten.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan Marquis 6500 LP generator.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	156987  

Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #2

Way to go Jay

You saved quite a few $$$ maybe a bunch of $$$

You had me going for a moment when you mentioned spark plug gap
till I saw you have a propane gen

Ray

Old 04-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Way to go Jay

You had me going for a moment when you mentioned spark plug gap
till I saw you have a propane gen

Ray
Yeah - I thought about the fact that many of the other coaches have diesel-fueled generators. But - since the photo I posted showed LP, I that that the astute among you would figure it out. YAY RAY!!
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan, service