Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

I think we found our rig!

After months of learning and looking, I think we found our new-to-us RV. Going to look at a 01 Monaco Executive tomorrow. It looks like this one is in good shape and has been properly maintained.

I will be getting a formal inspection of course (plan on doing it all - fluids, systems, aqua hot etc).

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, as that hasn't always worked out, but this one looks good so far and the price is in the ballpark.

I've seen some issues with the tag on older Monaco's, does that apply to this line/age? I will also be looking for slide issues (possibility of leaks) and for the possibility of delamination.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? I will have it inspected, but as you know that isn't cheap especially in CA!

Thank you for all your support,
VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #2

I have been very happy with my 02 Exec PDT, they are a bit complicated, lots of accessories but if you keep up on maintenance they are a great coach, love the 500 ISM Cummins. Good luck with your purchase
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #3

We have been very happy with our 2004 Executive. Our molding strip right above the slide toppers was coming loose and was visible from the ground. It was a little time consuming to fix so it won't happen again. That is a problem that more than a few have had but not a deal breaker as long as the wall hasn't gotten wet. Like Outbound said, I love that ISM 500 Cummins, they are very good engines.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Doubt a 01 will have the larger LR slide that goes out 34”, not 18”...a big difference. Look at the square tubes that hold the tag in place...at the frame rails for being broken. Helped a friend with a 02 Sig put in a Samsung...fairly easy as there was a 5” drawer underneath the 1200 that we removed. Both refers went through the door with their doors off.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

Look around the slides inside for evidence of water intrusion and check the floors around the slides for rotten wood. Big problem to fix if bad as the skids has to come out to properly correct. Just went they that on s Sig of that era.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Monaco Executive is a great coach. 2001 was a transition year. The 42' and 43' models will have three AC units and the Cummins 500hp ISM along with the 10,000W Onan generator. The 38' and 40' coaches came standard with a Cummins 350hp ISC and the ISM was an expensive option. Aqua Hot was also an expensive option. Both are built on the Roadmaster chassis with a side radiator.

Check the slide out covers as the thread deteriorates and the covers fall apart. Same issue with the awnings.
Check the Norcold refrigerator. They have caused several RV fires and can be troublesome. Most replace it with a residential fridge.
Check all the tire dates (not the tread depth, the dates should not be over 7 years) and the battery dates. Tires can cost over $5k to replace and batteries over $1500.
Check the Aqua Hot on both electric and diesel. It should not smoke and should cycle on/off in 10-15 min.
Check all the AC units. If they haven't already been replaced they are due.
Check the thermostats. The old Dometic 4 button thermostat is not serviceable and not compatible with the new AC unit control boards. The newer 5 button thermostat will work with new Dometic AC units as long as you install a conversion control board.
Check the Inverter system and make sure it will supply 120v from the batteries as well as recharge them.
Check the generator starts easily and will run a heavy load like two AC units.
If they have not already been replaced, I would budget for new TV's.
Check the slide outs for smooth operation and delamination in the outside underneath.
Check the skylight for cracks or signs of leaking.
Walk the roof and carefully check it for leaks.
I would have engine oil, trans oil, and rear differential oil samples analyzed.

There is lots more, but if you hire a professional inspector who is familiar with these large diesel coaches he will guide you through his inspection.
Watch out for pricing as it's all over the place. Make sure you do your homework.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote