RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Are you more likely to have another one crack in the future? I was looking at an 06 Ambassador that had a cracked windshield. The dealer bought the rig at an auction so no history is available (and it wasn't cracked when they bought it). They are replacing the glass, but with the history Monaco has with the one piece windshield would this be a rig to stay away from?

JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Are you more likely to have another one crack in the future? I was looking at an 06 Ambassador that had a cracked windshield. The dealer bought the rig at an auction so no history is available (and it wasn't cracked when they bought it). They are replacing the glass, but with the history Monaco has with the one piece windshield would this be a rig to stay away from?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When our 2008 Cayman was delivered from Indiana it arrived at the rally with 3 rock chips in the windshield. Guaranty RV wanted to replace it in Junction City, OR instead of at the rally. One of the chips eventually turned into a crack, but it was not from structural problems. Our crack was in the middle of the windshield, not at the edges or a corner. I don't believe ours had anything to do with a structual problem. Where is the crack on the MH you're looking at? Can anyone with a structural problem add your experience?
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
The crack is at the beginning of the curve on the drivers side and goes from top to bottom.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Look at the windshield very carefully at the btm and top of the crack. It may be caused from a chip along the crack or at the top or btm. If this is the case it is not structural. Once a chip has little vents in it , it will break sometime. The chip does not have to be very large for this to happen. That is why fixing a cip quickly is important. Monaco does have some problems with windshields as do all large glass windshields, even those that cover half the front. You are looking at 1.8 - 2.7mm glass which is very thin laminated together. Hope this helps.
How do I know, 39 years in the glass business.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #6

It seems to me that the models with hydraulic jacks are doing most of the cracking. Also, I know a different chassis is used on the Dynasty and up and I have not read about many of these models experiencing cracked windshields. The problem seems to be more model specific than just due to the one piece windshield.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Les,
I absolutely agree with you. The hydraulic jacks are very abrupt when in auto level mode. I quit using suto level completely, I can "feather" the jacks with the manual mode and the initial contact is much softer. Virtually all of my windshield problems were from auto level. Never had a crack but had 3 or 4 partial seal displacements (upper road side) and one windshield reset.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #8

I fully agree on the auto level. Never seemed to work very well from the get go. Never had a windshield problem but the twisting was just unacceptable. Even when the auto said it was level had problems opening and closing cargo doors. Only use manual now and I must say, so much better.

Ed
Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This is very true.
run your finger nail along the crack top to bottom,if you feel anything,then it has been hit,maybe very small but it is NOT a stress crack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corvette Man:
Look at the windshield very carefully at the btm and top of the crack. It may be caused from a chip along the crack or at the top or btm. If this is the case it is not structural. Once a chip has little vents in it , it will break sometime. The chip does not have to be very large for this to happen. That is why fixing a cip quickly is important. Monaco does have some problems with windshields as do all large glass windshields, even those that cover half the front. You are looking at 1.8 - 2.7mm glass which is very thin laminated together. Hope this helps.
How do I know, 39 years in the glass business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I can come up with the funds for new Koni FSD shocks even though we have air only leveling.
CC
Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the windshield issue is more operational than design, and shouldn't be a red flag.