RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ignition mechanism spins ...freely

new-to-us '95 dynasty ignition has partially rotated but always caught and started coach. today it spun freely, activated the gauges but not the ignition / starter.

seems like it's a tumbler/something ... are these typically repair yourself or replace? either way, any link to repair explanation / vid or replacement part #/model info you can share is appreciated.

thx in advance for any/all feedback.

Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

I believe they are a Chevy ignition switch. Can get one at a Chevy dealer with New keys

Old 10-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's a standard old Chevy ignition switch.

If you walked into a NAPA and asked them for an ignition switch for a 1970 to 1972 Chevy pickup, that'll do it.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
super, thx very much!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe it is the switch, which is behind the key, that is rotating, not the tumbler.
Reach behind the dash and hold the switch part that the wires connect to. See if it moves when you turn the key. It should be rock solid.
If it moves, the bezel surrounding the key must be tightened.

To do so, turn the key left to the accessory position, insert a paper clip into the hole facing you in the key tumbler and while gently pushing the clip into the hole against the spring inside it, continue to rotate the key to left. Then pull the key and tumbler out. Pay attention to how far left you rotated the key, as this is the position it will have to be in to reinsert the tumbler back into the switch. Start the above procedure with the key off, or even out of the switch, and the key hole lined up vertically.

Once the key is out, while holding the switch from behind, tighten the bezel clockwise. You will notice three indents on the bezel for using special wrench on it.

You may wish to have one person hold the S witch from behind and another use a screwdriver and small hammer to walk the bezel to the tight position. Once tight, where the switch assembly doesn't rotate from rear, reinsert key/tumbler.

All this can be done without unplugging wires fro the switch.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Maybe it is the switch, which is behind the key, that is rotating, not the tumbler.
Reach behind the dash and hold the switch part that the wires connect to. See if it moves when you turn the key. It should be rock solid.
If it moves, the bezel surrounding the key must be tightened.

To do so, turn the key left to the accessory position, insert a paper clip into the hole facing you in the key tumbler and while gently pushing the clip into the hole against the spring inside it, continue to rotate the key to left. Then pull the key and tumbler out. Pay attention to how far left you rotated the key, as this is the position it will have to be in to reinsert the tumbler back into the switch. Start the above procedure with the key off, or even out of the switch, and the key hole lined up vertically.

Once the key is out, while holding the switch from behind, tighten the bezel clockwise. You will notice three indents on the bezel for using special wrench on it.

You may wish to have one person hold the S witch from behind and another use a screwdriver and small hammer to walk the bezel to the tight position. Once tight, where the switch assembly doesn't rotate from rear, reinsert key/tumbler.

All this can be done without unplugging wires fro the switch.
what great feedback, thx very much, harry!

after picking up the parts earlier this morning, i logged on just now to ask if i need to unplug the wires! (when i was picking up the parts the staffer asked which part had died ... dunno, says i ... so he brings the two separate parts out and asks me which died. my take is the electrical components are intact and fine, that it's the tumbler that broke. after clarifying their return policy (as long as it's not been installed it's refundable) i brought both home and intend to install as soon as possible.

with your instructions i think i've got this and will post an update when it's fixed.

thx again for your perfectly timed instructions, very much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
fixed ... with a CaptainObvious solution.

yesterday morning I went to the coach with my new parts, your feedback and a handy-dandy youtube video on replacing the tumbler ... i was locked.and.loaded.

to begin with i rechecked function ... yep, the tumbler and switch rotated L/R and activated gauges as normal. with the key moved to the START position the gauges / dash responded as if starting but no joy.

ok, letís fix this puppy!

working by myself, i tried to pull the lock mechanism as instructed here and on the videos ... but darned if i could get it to loosen / dislodge because the switch / bezel in the dash kept rotating and i only had two hands to manipulate everything. what to do ... what to do ...? i know, iíll unbutton the covering under the dash and see if i can hold the switch assembly and tighten the key bezel with my hand.

that was easier and worked better than iíd hoped ... now the key was perfectly positioned to my liking and the bezel was as snug as could be. just as i was about to try removing the lock (again!) i wondered - since all the gauges were responding appropriately - if it might be some other thing besides the lock / switch.

so i turned the key on the ON position, let everything cycle and then checked the transmission pad ... yep, trans in neutral, parking brake set ... jeez ... looks like the lock / switch is toast.

... waitaminnit ... isnít there an ignition switch control in the engine compartment that i could put in the engine compartment position as a means of confirming the system is functioning properly?

key to ON position and off i went to the engine compartment. opened it up and darned if it isnít a three-position switch - not a two position - and iíd left it i the middle position. flipped it to front / ignition, went to the drivers seat and it fired in the blink of an eye,as if to say, ďiíve been waiting for you to figure that out.Ē

again, thx to each of you for your feedback ... very much appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3871.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	181535

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3872.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	181536
Old 11-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad you figured that one out! Actually, I got caught with that once years ago. Sorry I forgot about it.

Which leads me to this thought. When you leave your coach unattended, if you want to remember to use that switch back in the engine compartment, the front ignition switch will be disabled for any unauthorized person starting the engine.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
just what i thought, too, jim - a great disable switch!

Tags
ignition