RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Crawled up under the belly of the Beast this morning with my grease-gun, light and wipes. Found all six fittings on the drive shaft (I hope there are only six) and a couple I'd never seen on the brakes. Gen set oil is spot-on full. Cummins oil is spot-on full. Tires are maintaining pressure. Fixed that danged closet door that was off the runner. Gave myself a gold star for effort and a quality recognition award for not having to get out the sawzall.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Crawled up under the belly of the Beast this morning with my grease-gun, light and wipes. Found all six fittings on the drive shaft (I hope there are only six) and a couple I'd never seen on the brakes. Gen set oil is spot-on full. Cummins oil is spot-on full. Tires are maintaining pressure. Fixed that danged closet door that was off the runner. Gave myself a gold star for effort and a quality recognition award for not having to get out the sawzall.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gave myself a gold star for effort and a quality recognition award for not having to get out the sawzall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will even throw ya a silver star too! (Just keep quiet about the Sawzall - I don't want Sacs to realize that he doesn't have his Sawzall with him!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
RonNBama....Just a note....The first time I lubed the fittings on the brakes, (I believe they're the self adjusters) I really packed them with grease. When I went to move the coach it wouldn't budge, like the brakes were on. I put it in reverse and gave it a little throttle and everything worked fine. I think if you over grease them it applies pressure on the shoes. It's no big deal, but I panicked for a minute.

Did you find the fittings on the front end and the two on the steering column?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Doh (slapping forehead)! I guess this will require another trip "down-under". I found the fitting on the "drag-link" up front. Didn't even think about the front brakes having a similar fitting as the rear.

Thanks for the tip. I'll dive in again. The front steering seal (drag link, at least that is the term I heard applied to this big round bar) is ruptured. The local independent tech cannot seem to find the parts to replace it so until I can get to a shop with the right connections, I have applied the AlaBammer-Fix (duct tape and frequent lubings).
Old 09-16-2007, 05:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
"6" fittings on the drive-shaft, 'Bama? Only "six"?? Are you SURE you looked EVERYWHERE???

Gee, coulda swore there was at least 7 or more ...

heh-heh-heh... that oughtta keep him busy for awhile

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
(just kidding)

... there's really 11

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #8

Ron
There are two grease zerks on each wheel that are very important for all "s" cams to move equilly and freely.....do mine when I do the drive shaft..every 6000 Mi
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I guess that was a joke that went sour.... sorry about that!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Man, I have just got out from under the RV. Been looking for those 11 zerts for the past 9-hours!

Naw, I found everything (I think). After revisiting the front area, I recalled the location of most of the fittings from my last lube job.

pipedream, I got those you referred to. I hope everything spreads out equally inside the housings.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I am ready to lube my coach, but after reading many different posts realize that I don't know how much grease to use on the drum brake slack adjusters. I see the two zerks and have read that grease will flow from the zerk on the slack adjuster when it is full. I don't see where grease can flow from the zerk on the axle next to the drum brake and I don't want to get grease into the brake lining or rupture any seals that might be there. Is there any guidelines for greasing it? Thanks for the help!

08 Scepter 40 PDQ
Kesi is offline   Reply With Quote