Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 AM   #1

I'm seriously considering purchasing a used 2008 Monaco Signature Buckingham IV DP.

Does anyone on this forum currently own a Monaco Signature Buckingham IV or have in the past? I'm a real newbie who's never owned an RV before and will be using it full time on the road for business. This is a rare opportunity for me to actually afford the upgraded Cummins ISX engine with 600 hp on my budget. I am aware of Monaco's bankruptcy and I am weary of this situation. A helpful Monaco employee told me she thought they built good quality coaches but grew too fast hence leading to bankruptcy. Or were the coaches junk which put them there? I've always heard Monaco produced decent quality diesel pushers but that's all I have to go on.
This coach has less that 26k miles on it and supposedly has all appropriate service records. I would seriously appreciate any input you all can provide. I do plan on towing a midsize car, this coach has a tow rating of 10k pounds. Thank you for your input, it will be seriously considered.
GBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

Awesome coach! Top of their coach line-up at the time, and built at the peak of their existence. I would be very proud and happy to own that coach!! The company went down primarily as a result of the recession that hit the country at that time, not due to mis-management or over exuberance. As for towing a vehicle behind it, you won't even know its there.

I would suggest a pre-purchase inspection. There are a lot of hi-tech systems on those coaches and you will want to be assured that they are all fully functional. You are going to have a lot to learn about! Also, with that low mileage, one must ask how long it's been unused. Lack of use can cause its own set of problems.

Finally, you are looking at buying a very large, heavy and valuable piece of equipment. If you have never driven something of this size, please get with someone that can help you build your skills in it before you go on the road with it. You must become acutely aware of your coaches height limitations as well as width, length and weight limitations. Overhanging trees can cause expensive damage. You can't follow vehicles nearly as close as you can in a car. It takes a whale of a lot more time and distance to stop 50,000+ pounds. You can't turn on a dime, and the back of your coach and your towed vehicle will cut the corner like you can't believe, until you get used to it. Failure to drive it right will get incredibly expensive in an instant! As the coach on Kung Fu used to say, "Be very careful, Grasshopper!"
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

K7jv is right on. We have an 05 navigator which is of the same group. Big nice well built coach.
Many complicated systems. Like OP said, you will need to take your time learning to drive this coach particularly since this is your first. Most of us have worked our way up from say 30 to 40 to 45 footers. Do you have any experience driving trucks or other large vehicles? That would help. In California we need a class b non commercial license to legally drive that coach. You should also know I would have bought that coach in a flash if it was offered to me. Also you should really take somebody with you, that knows that coach. If things are out of date like the tires $4k or more, batteries if AGMs $3500 or more, problems with Aquahot, $2000 or more plus there have some valve problems on the Cummins ISX. Aluminum side radiator failures $3000 or more. Also look carefully at the paint. Does the clear coat paint still shine? If not it has been stored outside. Not good. Also this type of all electric coach needs to be plugged into 50 amp service all the time. So you will need to store it inside with 50 amp service available.
Some interesting good news; insurance is cheap for such a big coach. There is a chip avail for the engine that will increase the mileage from 6 to 7 mpg. And of course the inside with the four slides out is lush and very comfortable. I say go for it! But get some help with your decision.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

Finally a print size I can read!
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be aware that the 2007 EPA ISX engine can and does have problems with valves breaking. Ours has done it twice in 45,000 miles along with three turbos' and two DPF's. But it certainly will do the job, you'll love the torque.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Finally a print size I can read!
my eyes...

j/k

;-)
jimmy braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #7

They do not make coaches of this quality today without spending a million bucks. The weak point is the ISX. Problematic engine. I don't know why they did not use the 60 series Detroit?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I have a 2000 Dynasty....quality is exceptional. Bought it about 6 years ago...normal wear and tear (batteries, tires) other maintenance was replace alternator, fuel pump on aqua hot, magnets on Onan 7.5, battery cables. New leveling control board because of mice...

We upgraded fridge to Samsung, replaced carpet with wood flooring, replaced front curtain, replaced both TV's, added satellite. Now adding LED's.

It is a solid heavy rig. Ride and power is GREAT....inside woodwork is OUTSTANDING......

Don't know if anything I have said will apply to your decision, but, we know we did the right thing.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #9

Monaco still offers excellent tech support and the bankruptcy was like many other high end builders due to economy.
I can't speak to thou engine but our Dynasty is a joy to own, even with its current little electrical gremlin. But that can happen on any rig
Get the coach inspected and have it taken to a diesel service center of your choice and at your expense for a comprehensive engine & chassis inspection
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
problems with Aquahot, $2000 or more .
Yeah, like much, much, more !!
Old 08-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
As mentioned above the quality of these coaches is outstanding and built to last.
Yes there are many systems that can be complex and require maintenance but most of us come to expect that. A house has issues a truck has issues put one on top of the other and drive it and you'll have issues.

Also cant speak on that engine. I have the Detroit which is a great engine.
SSRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As mentioned above the quality of these coaches is outstanding and built to last.
Yes there are many systems that can be complex and require maintenance but most of us come to expect that. A house has issues a truck has issues put one on top of the other and drive it and you'll have issues.

Also cant speak on that engine. I have the Detroit which is a great engine.
SSRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
My opinion based on looking at hundreds of new and used coaches for the past few years is these used Monaco's are some of the best coaches ever built. They are also a very good value on todays used market, but be careful as prices on the same make, year and model will vary by as much as $100k.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

nana: I wont open up an old can of worms but if you do some research you will quickly learn that Monaco's demise had little to do with the economy!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco