Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #1

Howdy,
Going to install Koni's on the front only tomorrow and wondering if any of you that have replaced the shocks yourself have any advice.
From what I've been able to learn from other threads the hard part will be breaking the nuts loose on the factory shocks.
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #2

Howdy,
Going to install Koni's on the front only tomorrow and wondering if any of you that have replaced the shocks yourself have any advice.
From what I've been able to learn from other threads the hard part will be breaking the nuts loose on the factory shocks.
Letsgoagain
Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I turned the front wheels full left and removed one from each side. I then turned the wheels the other way and removed the other two.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #4

when i replaced them on my windsor, i had the air pumped up and jacks down(Just Touching.) Breaking loose the top nut is the hardest part.
when you get to rear shocks thats a whole different story. .conditions are tight and you need very long arms.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #5

Hey thanks to Diplomat Don and gizmo forthe replies. Sounds like both of these suggestions will give me more working room.
Since I only have two up front shocks this should be a fairly easy job. Now I've went and done it. Uusually when I say that it turns into a real chore.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Letsgoagain.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Spray the exposed threads with PB Blaster before starting the job. Give it a good soaking and wait an hour or so. Sure made life easier for me when I replaced my eight BloSteins.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #7

Okay got them changed. First one I had a dickens of a time getting the right top bolt loose. Then on the left bottom I thought I would never get that sucker loose. Did everything but stand on my head trying to get leverage. Never again will I attempt that without a impact wrench.
Another problem I encounterd was that the top and bottom brackets are offset from each other some so guiding the shocks into the mounting brackets was tough. I finally learned that if you leave the top bolt out and work the bottom in and then the bolt its much easier. Didn't think I was ever going to get that left bottom to slide into the bracket though. Very close tolerance there.
All in all I would do in again. Unless I don't notice any difference in the ride quality. I'm gonna be one upset dude if thats the case.
Oh by the way RonNBama I did spray the bolts and nuts with WD40. Don't know what that stuff your talking about is but if its wonderstuff I should have tried it.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Letsgoagain:
Howdy,
Letsgoagain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-10-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
Retired Senior Member

Just a hint here: WD-40 is to PB Blaster as O'Douls beer is to Jack Daniels.

Seriously, glad you have most of your knuckles intact. The PB Balster can be found in most auot parts store and I think WallyWorld is carrying it now. It's a far site better than Liquid Wrench too.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I replaced my front ones, 8 months ago, I thought Koni had sentme FSD's. They were a fairly new release back then and I trusted they were the right ones. Neither the shocksor packaging said anything other than Koni.

I ordered the rears two weeks ago and actually got the FSD's. I called Koni and they were hesitant to ship me the FSD's for the front. They wanted me to buy four more at a discount. When I had them look at their own web site and see that there is nowhere indicating that what your ordering are FSD's they agreed to exchange them.

Since the ones on my coach were new, I was able to get them off and the four new ones on in 45 minutes.

I'm really anxious to see how it drives.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #10

Diplomat Don,
Now you had me worried so I went out in the garage to look at the box. Box had FSD all over it and I double checked the website where I got the part #'s for my coach.
One thing you might find interesting is that I drove over to Cincinatti and picked them up at Kon's distribution center and actually talked to the heavy truck manager. He didn't get into to many specifics but he assured me I would notice a considerable difference. I told him I hoped so as I just drive 216 miles to get them. I'll find out on the 20th when I leave for vacation.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
When I replaced my front ones, 8 months ago, I thought Koni had sentme FSD's. They were a fairly new release back then and I trusted they were the right ones. Neither the shocksor packaging said anything other than Koni.

I ordered the rears two weeks ago and actually got the FSD's. I called Koni and they were hesitant to ship me the FSD's for the front. They wanted me to buy four more at a discount. When I had them look at their own web site and see that there is nowhere indicating that what your ordering are FSD's they agreed to exchange them.

Since the ones on my coach were new, I was able to get them off and the four new ones on in 45 minutes.

I'm really anxious to see how it drives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>