Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #113

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I will need a stylus or a bluetooth mouse to adjust my gauges as I can't seem to do much with the touch screen (fingers too big...)
I did my layout on my desktop, then transferred the file over to the tablet. Made it MUCH easier. I started out with a simple layout on the tablet where I put a gauge with minimum readable text size down in the lower right corner of the screen. Then I transferred that file to the desktop and started adding more gauges. That first gauge laid out on the tablet gave me a good reference as to how much usable space I had to work with.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #114

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I did my layout on my desktop, then transferred the file over to the tablet. Made it MUCH easier. I started out with a simple layout on the tablet where I put a gauge with minimum readable text size down in the lower right corner of the screen. Then I transferred that file to the desktop and started adding more gauges. That first gauge laid out on the tablet gave me a good reference as to how much usable space I had to work with.
I agree, so much easier to create the files on a desktop or laptop and transfer them to the tablet. You can also consider setting up several files, each with slightly different parameters. If you are interested in watching trip information for a while, just open that file. It's not difficult to move between a few different files you have created to display specific diagnostic parameters, depending on what you want to monitor at any time. If you are driving an area with long grades you may want to focus attention on temperatures rather than trip information, this approach allows you to set up screens with fewer items that are easier to see. When I first started using the system I tried to put too much information on the screen and found it difficult to read, multiple files has helped me with this problem.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #115

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went with JDL's recommendation and purchased a HP Omni 10. I then cheated a bit and purchased a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and installed Start8 Start menu for Windows 8. Bring the Windows 8 Start menu back. so I could do the VMSpc layout using a Win7 type system right on the tablet. It was also easy to follow JDL's excellent instructions for installing the drivers. I was even able to get the Streets & Trips USB/serial drivers installed, so I can have both programs running.

I'm attaching a pic of my layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HP Omni Pro 009 1024-720.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	63242  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I went with JDL's recommendation and purchased a HP Omni 10. I then cheated a bit and purchased a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and installed Start8 Start menu for Windows 8. Bring the Windows 8 Start menu back. so I could do the VMSpc layout using a Win7 type system right on the tablet. It was also easy to follow JDL's excellent instructions for installing the drivers. I was even able to get the Streets & Trips USB/serial drivers installed, so I can have both programs running.

I'm attaching a pic of my layout.
Nice looking setup Bob ... you have a great spot on your console to mount the tablet.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #117

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Nice looking setup Bob ... you have a great spot on your console to mount the tablet.
Thank you! The wood console is one of the reasons we haven't purchased a new coach with an all plastic dash.....okay a minor reason.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We also did out layout on the desktop and then transferred the file to the tablet.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
Swag, that's a good tip about multiple screens! The layout I have now is quite cluttered, because I put everything on it, basically to see what will turn out to be useful information and what isn't. My plan is to weed it down eventually, but having specific groups is a great idea.

Bob, how do you like the mount with the spring loaded X clamp? I was looking at that, but I plan to mount my tablet vertically in portrait orientation, and I'm concerned that there will be no support on the bottom. Do you think the tablet will slide down on a bumpy road?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Swag, that's a good tip about multiple screens! The layout I have now is quite cluttered, because I put everything on it, basically to see what will turn out to be useful information and what isn't. My plan is to weed it down eventually, but having specific groups is a great idea.

Bob, how do you like the mount with the spring loaded X clamp? I was looking at that, but I plan to mount my tablet vertically in portrait orientation, and I'm concerned that there will be no support on the bottom. Do you think the tablet will slide down on a bumpy road?
ShapeShifter, you might find this useful. I purchased this for my tablet installation and it works great. This is a very well built product and looks great. A bit pricey but I think it's worth it ... it's solid. You can orient your tablet in any position and it's well supported.

Amazon.com: Perfect for any 7 to 12 Inches tablet keeping your iPad mini, Nexus, or Galaxy at the perfect angle for utmost convenience: Computers & Accessories
Old 05-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #121

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The spring load clamp has a good deal of tension to it, so it works fine for me. The package also includes two end optional end supports when using it in portrait orientation.

The picture in the following link only shows one, but you get two. RAM Mount Universal X-Grip III iPad Tablet Cradle RAM-HOL-UN9U
Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #122

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys, looks like there may be three viable options: SWag's mount from Joy Factory, and the two Ram mounts: Bob's X clamp and the original Tab-Tight. Guess I've got some research to do...
Old 07-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #123

Installing VMSpc using inexpensive Windows Tablet

Sorry to see that this thread has gotten away from the original issue as this is a continuing problem. Has anyone figured out how to hook up the bluetooth jib with a win 8.1 tablet. There apparently is a port problem in 8.1 that silverleaf says they have no way to resolve. Some windows tablets work and others not. I have an ASUS T100 which did not. I have turned off the signed driver enforcement to ensure the bluetooth drivers install in case that was a problem. According to the silverleaf tech the problem is in the bluetooth receiver and it will work on some tablets and not others. They do not have a fix and do not know which tablets will work and which do not. Their advice was that some have made it work with a bluetooth application called BlueSoleil and a dongle. That seems to tell me that it is still a work in progress and someone buying a tablet for VMSpc use should be aware. It seems ridiculous that you should have to install additional aftermarket products to make something work. They have tested it with the surface pro but I for one didn't want to spend that kind of money on a tablet. I thought it might be a bluetooth driver problem but they say it isn't. The necessary drivers are contained in the included software (distribution disk). So, what I am trying to find out has anyone found a win 8 tablet that works with the bluetooth jib (TM-540 Bluetooth Bridge)? Thanks
roger8070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
I've had mixed success with Bluetooth on any platform. I've found that there is a lot of compatibility issues between various devices. SilverLeaf is not unique in this regard. I've had devices that work well on one computer, only half the features work on another, and it doesn't work at all on a third. And if it does work, it can be intermittant: sometimes it will connect right up, sometimes it will need to be re-paired, and sometimes it won't work at all.

I've been frustrated by Bluetooth many times and I avoid it whenever I can. I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you, just wanted to let you know that this isn't a unique situation. That's the main reason for all of the work I went through earlier in this thread to figure out a way to hard-wire in a USB connection and still power the tablet at the same time - it's a lot of work, but it's a lot less frustrating than dealing with Bluetooth.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #125

Thanks, you were most helpful. I will return the bluetooth version and keep the usb version. Seems like the best long term solution.
roger8070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #126

Monaco Owners Club
I followed the op post to a tee and worked for me.

2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ
ChuckNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, vmspc, windows tablet