RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Instant Hot Water Heater

Hey All.....I have a 2011 Monaco Vesta. I'd like to install a new Instant hot water heater but have a couple of issues. Firstly, are all cutouts for Monaco heaters the same size? If so, does anybody know the size? Secondly, every review I read says theirs is the best. Can someone get me on the right road here from experience? I know low water pressure turn on is appreciated. High flow (2-5 GMP desired) etc., etc. Anything enlightening is appreciated. I'm overseas and can't measure the cutout at the moment.....Eric

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Brochure lists 6 gal water heater
Photo indicates an Atwood

Atwood 6 gal cut out opening
16" Wide x 12.5" High x 16 7/8" Deep

I am no help on which Instant Hot .....don't like them/too many temp control/flow issues for me to recommend

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

Are you talking of the 110v under the sink instahot? For hot coffee water and the like?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #4

If you are talking about what Shootist is describing, we have an "Insinkerator" dispenser under our kitchen sink, and LOVE IT!! We use it many times each day! Lowes. Home Depot. The only hole required is the one that comes through the countertop for the dispenser tap. You will need a 120 VAC source under the cabinet, and you really don't want it to be powered from the inverter. It should be powered from your shore power/generator load center source.

It does NOT deliver "gallons per minute". It delivers ounces per minute. Also the tank only holds maybe a quart and a half, total. It does recover from completely cold to several degrees below boiling in about 15 minutes, or less. It is intended for providing hot water for instant coffee, or tea, or "Cup of Soup", or to sanitize a paring knife, or a toothbrush, or, or, or. Again, we use it many times a day and wouldn't be without it.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Are you talking of the 110v under the sink instahot? For hot coffee water and the like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
If you are talking about what Shootist is describing, we have an "Insinkerator" dispenser under our kitchen sink, and LOVE IT!! We use it many times each day! Lowes. Home Depot. The only hole required is the one that comes through the countertop for the dispenser tap. You will need a 120 VAC source under the cabinet, and you really don't want it to be powered from the inverter. It should be powered from your shore power/generator load center source.

It does NOT deliver "gallons per minute". It delivers ounces per minute. Also the tank only holds maybe a quart and a half, total. It does recover from completely cold to several degrees below boiling in about 15 minutes, or less. It is intended for providing hot water for instant coffee, or tea, or "Cup of Soup", or to sanitize a paring knife, or a toothbrush, or, or, or. Again, we use it many times a day and wouldn't be without it.

Should re-read OPs post
Asking about replacement of his Water Heater with a 'Tankless' (Instant) Water Heater
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Should re-read OPs post
Asking about replacement of his Water Heater with a 'Tankless' (Instant) Water Heater
Actually, the OP is asking about a Hot Water Heater, which seems completely unnecessary.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post

Agree, my 1 gal unit will heat up water to close to boiling in 10 mi minutes. Great for hot water for sink, tea or coffee.
For a lunch stop, turn it on 10 min before stopping and have sink hot water when I stop. I run mine off inverter, but most people run it off the generator. They are a worthwhile investment.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Agree, my 1 gal unit will heat up water to close to boiling in 10 mi minutes. Great for hot water for sink, tea or coffee.
For a lunch stop, turn it on 10 min before stopping and have sink hot water when I stop. I run mine off inverter, but most people run it off the generator. They are a worthwhile investment.
I have it too. Unplugged it since I don't use it for anything
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I should gave been more specific. I'm referring to the actual entire coach hot water system. We tend to shower longer than some and the six gallon runs cold by the time the second person tries to use!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have it too. Unplugged it since I don't use it for anything
Agree, but DW is OCD, and needs to clean dishes within 2 min of having food on it.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjan2011 View Post
I should gave been more specific. I'm referring to the actual entire coach hot water system. We tend to shower longer than some and the six gallon runs cold by the time the second person tries to use!

These guys make a few different models and run off propane/electric. They provide constant hot water on demand.

https://precisiontemp.com
Old 03-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #12

I see a lot of people like the Truma. But best to research them all.

https://www.truma.com/us/en/products...er-heater.html
Old 03-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If the OP is like our(HER) needs,
it's about continuous hot water
that you don't have to keep hot and
you won't run out after 6 or 10 or 12 gallons,
more than the need for instant hot water...

Had a girard when they first came out in a 5'er way back when and it left a lot to be desired, but in the dangerous fluctuation of the water temp and flow....

Now, they may have come a long way since then, but with our 10 or 12 gal tank...

as long as I get my shower first, the hot water usually last for her too

if I am after, it's usually a cold navy shower for me
Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's too bad an AquaHot or Hurricane hydronic unit can't be retrofitted.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater