RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

Instrument Cluster - 2007 Monaco Executive

Hello to all irv2ers,

I have a situation that just occurred today. When driving the coach the instrument cluster lights blink on and off and the dials in the gauges swing back and forth before stopping whenever I drive over an imperfection in the roadway. Sometimes it may happen when the road is smooth.

After arriving back home I pulled the top dash access cover in front of the steering wheel and looked inside the dash and behind the gauges and did not find anything loose.

It seems that there may be a loose connection somewhere that will address this issue. The Aladdin shows correctly all the engine and transmission status when rolling.

What do I need to check? Hopefully, it is just something simple. It is quite annoying when driving and the instrument cluster rebooting.

By the way, the trip odometer resets also but the total engine mileage is unaffected.

Please see attached picture and thanks for any responses. Please excuse the picture being sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD3A1985-9AFA-4CB6-BA29-5380306D07CB.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	207839  

ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, what a nice coach!

It must be a ground or +12 common to the entire panel. You could start by adding an extra ground wire to the cluster and work from there.
I'd also locate the fuse in the front run bay and remove and clean the fuse contacts.

vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Wow, what a nice coach!

It must be a ground or +12 common to the entire panel. You could start by adding an extra ground wire to the cluster and work from there.
I'd also locate the fuse in the front run bay and remove and clean the fuse contacts.
Thanks for your post. I will start with trying to find the ground and will also look at the front run bay.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Poor grounding is a common problem so I would start with doing as Vito.a suggested...run a new ground wire.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

Ivylog and vito.a,

I am still learning about this coach after seven years and so please bear with me when I ask this question.

Where is this ground wire (14 gauge I presume) connected on the back of the instrument cluster? There are several connections to the gauges. Do I find a common connector, for lack of a better term, to tap into for the entire cluster?

Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Remember the Actia module I suggested you replace? My dash did the same thing, intermittant and windshield wipering gauges.

The Actia gauges have pigtails running from one gauge to the next. Each gauge has two electrical connections, an input and an output, the pigtails connect the whole set of gauges in series. From one gauge input then out to the next gauge and so on. It includes the pneumatic module you have been looking for a fitting for.

I replaced all of the pigtails, one of yours may be bad, but the cure didn't happen until I replaced that module. As I stated previously, the plastic on mine was disintigrating and that was causing the whole problem.

I have a bunch of those pigtails if you want to try that avenue. You can get them from Actia but I think their minimum shipping fee was $50. That is why I just ordered all of the pigtails and the module, I didn't want to pay that more than one time.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Remember the Actia module I suggested you replace? My dash did the same thing, intermittant and windshield wipering gauges.

The Actia gauges have pigtails running from one gauge to the next. Each gauge has two electrical connections, an input and an output, the pigtails connect the whole set of gauges in series. From one gauge input then out to the next gauge and so on. It includes the pneumatic module you have been looking for a fitting for.

I replaced all of the pigtails, one of yours may be bad, but the cure didn't happen until I replaced that module. As I stated previously, the plastic on mine was disintigrating and that was causing the whole problem.

I have a bunch of those pigtails if you want to try that avenue. You can get them from Actia but I think their minimum shipping fee was $50. That is why I just ordered all of the pigtails and the module, I didn't want to pay that more than one time.
Hi hypoxia,

Are you sure I am the poster you are referencing? I did not have a need to replace a module previously; however, your response post, on this particular issue, is really appreciated.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Doug Patton has a different problem with his Actia module, I apologize.

The information I posted is relevant though. Dig around in the top of your dash & find an Actia module with two 1/4" air lines plugged in. Look closely at the plastic to see if there are any cracks etc.. That module will have the pigtails previously mentioned.

A bad pigtail can be isolated by swapping them out. If you follow the wiring you will find the end gauge that has an input pigtail but the output will be vacant. There is no particular order the gauges need to be in so the last gauge can be switched during troubleshooting.

In the end based on my experience, that pneumatic module is suspect and the pigtails can be unplugged, you will just lose the air pressure readings. Remember the pigtails are in series so if you unplug it to move the pigtail to another gauge.

Air line connector at air gauges on 2007 signature commander

Air line connector at air gauges on 2007 signature commander
Old 06-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here are my notes from 2 years ago when I had this problem:

Module has 2 air pressure lines connected, front & rear air. It changes the pressure to digital. Wire harnesses go to the pressure gauges and to the instrument panel warning lights.
After engine start all is normal for a bit, sometimes a minute or two or up to an hour, then the front and rear air pressure gauges start windshield wiping and all of the instrument panel warning lights start flashing on & off continuously until the engine is turned off. Restarting the engine starts the cycle over again. It will sometimes do it by turning the key on (no engine start) and waiting for the above described time.
The module had a sticker on the back: Actia 106278 REVA-W-17279-06 and inside on a part attached to the circuit board 105580-B W-17875-06
The instrument cluster is Actia.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Here are my notes from 2 years ago when I had this problem:

Module has 2 air pressure lines connected, front & rear air. It changes the pressure to digital. Wire harnesses go to the pressure gauges and to the instrument panel warning lights.
After engine start all is normal for a bit, sometimes a minute or two or up to an hour, then the front and rear air pressure gauges start windshield wiping and all of the instrument panel warning lights start flashing on & off continuously until the engine is turned off. Restarting the engine starts the cycle over again. It will sometimes do it by turning the key on (no engine start) and waiting for the above described time.
The module had a sticker on the back: Actia 106278 REVA-W-17279-06 and inside on a part attached to the circuit board 105580-B W-17875-06
The instrument cluster is Actia.
hypoxia,

Thank you. I will 👀 for the Actia instrument cluster in the dash. In my case today, it seemed to progressively worsen when I was returning home. Going out was intermittent.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I can't seem to figure out how to post this photo

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=34711

The black plastic piece with 3 black plugs and the pneumatic lines is the part that caused my problem. It screws on to the green circuit board. Actia sold me the entire module, jumpers and this little black plastic piece which I used to make a good spare module.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #12

Quote:
I can't seem to figure out how to post this photo

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=34711

The black plastic piece with 3 black plugs and the pneumatic lines is the part that caused my problem. It screws on to the green circuit board. Actia sold me the entire module, jumpers and this little black plastic piece which I used to make a good spare module.
I’ll look in the dash again to see if your cluster looks like the back of mine. I seem to recall a green air line connected to the top center and another brownish air line connected at the bottom.

Your air lines are side-by-side. Does it matter? I presume your Actia looks exactly like the picture I attached with the lights showing in the top middle of the instrument cluster.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
I presume your Actia looks exactly like the picture I attached with the lights showing in the top middle of the instrument cluster.
My instrument cluster is arranged different than yours but the cluster has the same look, the wiring diagram for the Executive and Signature shows both to be Actia and the symptoms are the same. It will be interesting to see.

Were all of your gauges windshield wiping or just some?

Your tach goes to 4000 RPM mine goes to 3000........
Old 06-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
My instrument cluster is arranged different than yours but the cluster has the same look, the wiring diagram for the Executive and Signature shows both to be Actia and the symptoms are the same. It will be interesting to see.

Were all of your gauges windshield wiping or just some?

Your tach goes to 4000 RPM mine goes to 3000........
All gauges were windshield wiping and the trip odometer was resetting.

Tags
monaco