Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Interior Cabinet Latches

My coach and I'm sure many others have this spring support hinge http://www.nwrvsupply.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=hin used to hold the cabinet doors open/up. Northwest RV Supply no longer has any of these in stock and I've searched for hours trying to find the same hinge on line.

Two of mine have broken. The joint at the bottom of the hinge (in the photo) is held together by two rivets. The rivets bear the brunt of the stress and they end up breaking and falling out. It usually starts by a crackling sound when you open the cabinet.

I found that if you remove them they can be repaired. Usually one rivet is gone and I punch out the other one. I originally thought I could just run a nut and bolt through the two holes and fix it, but there is a piece that has to pass through where the bolt goes through the two holes. You can either re-rivet with a metal rivet or find a small nut and bolt that will fit the hole. I ground the head of the bolt down so that it was very flat/thin and then inserted it from the center of the hinge outward and then put a double nut or locknut. You need to do it through both holes.

After repairing a couple of them, I went through the coach and lubed all of them with a spray lube. They are working more smoothly now and will probably prolong the life.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don, We have also had problems with these type of hinges. What I have I have done is to loosen the adjustment tension screw two full turns and replace the top mounting screws to a larger size. These changes have made our hinges last much longer. Our first hinges were failing when our coach was three mounts old.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the years, I have repaired at least a half-dozen hinges using rivets. A Monaco rep. recommended adjusting the tension screw. That has helped on a couple of noisey doors lately.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A second thought on these hinges. They will hang up a something stored inside and prevent the door from opening. I had one hang up on the top of a VCR and had to slide a knife into the storage area to move the VCR out of the way. Since then, we are very careful to make sure the inside hinge operating area is clear.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Try here for replacements:

http://rvpartslist.com/index.php?a=2&b=117

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rex...Thanks.....I looked thru Trimarck latches and the Megatech site and didn't see them. I was hoping when I posted that someone had a source. I'm starting to get quite a collection of Monaco RV parts assembled for future repairs. I've cleaned out Northwest RV Supply on several of their switches.

Rex.....Not to seem stupid, but how do I buy from them. Do I just call?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry Don. Should have provided complete information. Here is the rest of it.

RV Parts list by Mega Tech of Oregonpart # HS100BSN

541-758-8242

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Rex.....Not to seem stupid, but how do I buy from them. Do I just call?
Don,

Not a stupid question. There is no obvious way to buy anything on that site. I think maybe you're supposed to contact the seller with the "contact seller" link on the listing page, but that's not obvious.

Meanwhile, you can buy those hinges at MTO's eBay store, in brushed satin or varnished brown finish. Or you could email David Schroeder.

On a related subject, Don, do you know where I might find a water pump switch with a light like the one that's mounted in the galley area. I want to put one in the bathroom. Sent NW Supply two emails but both have gone unanswered.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Don,

Not a stupid question. There is no obvious way to buy anything on that site. I think maybe you're supposed to contact the seller with the "contact seller" link on the listing page, but that's not obvious.

Meanwhile, you can buy those hinges at MTO's eBay store, in brushed satin or varnished brown finish. Or you could email David Schroeder.

On a related subject, Don, do you know where I might find a water pump switch with a light like the one that's mounted in the galley area. I want to put one in the bathroom. Sent NW Supply two emails but both have gone unanswered.
Rob.. Try calling NW RV Supply at their toll free number 866-678-7467 .. I have much better luck that way right now.... I know they have been swamped.
(Also check your regular email- you have a special email from someone near & dear to me!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Robin,

Here is the vendor for the water pump switch. Be sure that they send you the new style light that has the LED.

Electronics, lighting and mold convenience items from American Technology Components

Regards,
Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
Here is the vendor for the water pump switch.
Luke,

Thanks much! I'll contact them. Since you also have the SFT, what I had in mind is installing a water pump switch on the bathroom wall above the toilet. Wiring should be very easy as the master controll panel, on the other side of the wall, already has a water pump switch on it.

I'll have to see if I can get them to make me up a 3-gang bezel at a resonable price. That would incorporate the single light switch that is already on that wall.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can we revisit this topic?

The "nickle" finish version of this hinge seems to be hard to find. Can anyone offer me a web-site where this hinge is in stock (picture above offered by "Drifter" is the hinge type that I need).

FWIW: I've repaired a few broken hinges in the manner that Diplomat Don describes (shaving the head down on a machine screw)....but I don't have time for this at the moment.

Is it time for a class-action law suit against the manufacturer ???????
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Don,
Try this URL for hinges.

Adjustable Hinges - $11.79
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Try here also - not RV supply, so much cheaper

Overhead Bin Hinge - Rockler Woodworking Tools