Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Interior Door Panel issue

My entry door interior finish material separated from the base material over time. The base material is vacuum formed sheet goods and the finish material is a vinyl material about 18 thick with what feels like a rubber type backing.
I have attempted multiple times to re-glue the two materials to no avail. I have made sure to thoroughly clean both surfaces each time and also scuff sanded them for best bonding. So far I have tried Scotch brand automotive spray adhesive, another Scotch heavy duty spray adhesive ( I think it was #44), Gorilla brand and Liquid NailsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	186105Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	186105 heavy duty chalk gun type adhesives. The Scotch #44 is the only one that had any hopes but it didnt last long before the finish material started to let go.
Has anyone dealt with this issue and found an adhesive that has proven to be successful?

Thank you,

Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

Have you tried youtube, they may have something on adhesive bonding.

Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have not but I will look. Also going to call 3M tech line today.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #4

Timely post, as I need to separate the door panels to get to the latch adjustment hardware. Im interested to hear what you find about adhesive,as Id like to cover my hard vinyl panel with a soft backed material.

Also please confirm you probably mean 1/8 vs 18

Thanks
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the finish material is 1/8 thick. If you are removing the interior panel to access the latch you will not to re-glue the interior panel prices unless your factory glue has failed too. I spoke with 3M today and they gave me a recommendation but then called me back about 1/2 hour later. I have t call them back but I am guessing he talked to some others at 3M and now have a different adhesive to recommend. I will post their recommendation once I have it
Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think I have finally found the right adhesive for this repair. I spoke to 3M again and they recommended 486MP double sided tape almond with Primer 94. I cleaned the panel and the finish material with alcohol and instructed. I then primed the base material and applied the tape to that surface and then rolled it with a small wallpaper roller. I then primed the finish material and then worked from one end by removing the tape backing to small areas at a time and attached the finish material being very careful to position it correctly and roll each area as I progressed. Proper positioning is critical because the tape is VERY strong. After completing I rolled the entire penal a couple times. So far the results are the best I have achieved. This tape is amazingly strong! Now only time will tell if it is a long term fix but so far this bond is far stronger than anything I previously tried.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #7

Thanks for the update.

Couldn't find the 486MP double sided tape, but did find some 468MP double sided tape.

Is that what I should use?
ESPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Oops. Sorry about that. 468MP is correct. Good luck with it. Just be sure both surfaces are spotlessly clean before applying the primer.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-Weldwoo...-fl-oz/3819177

For some reason that spray on stuff often leaves me disappointed. I buy the 3M super stuff or whatever but it just does not hold up.

I have used the glue shown in the link for years and it has never failed. Upholstery folks showed me this 30 years ago. It is used for counter top laminates etc. It works on carpet and vinyl.

Get a nice coat on each part. Not dripping but get them covered. Now the key is to be patient and not try to stick them together too soon.

Have a beer or cup of coffee. The stuff should become dull versus glossy. Your finger tip should stick to the surface.

Now carefully place the parts together. You only get one chance with some things so be careful. You might want to do a little bit at a time, holding the unglued section up with something like dowels.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info on the glue. Im glad I found the double sided tape for my door though since I could remove the covering from the tape in small sections at a time to work my way across the door without worrying about sticking it together without properly positioning it.

Tags
door, interior, panel