Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Interior Lights Off and On - Fuse or Bad Batteries?

Our interior lights have been abruptly shutting off suddenly the past two days, even as the generator continues to hum along just fine and the 110v outlets work just fine.

Is this bad batteries? Our batteries are in need of replacement. Or just a bad or loose fuse?

Thanks!

P.S. We came across a shop selling a 2/16 stamped set of six brand new 6-volt Trojan batteries for $520, cash. Anyone have any thoughts? Seems like a great price.
ereadingrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 05:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Anyone?
Old 04-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingrv View Post
Our interior lights have been abruptly shutting off suddenly the past two days, even as the generator continues to hum along just fine and the 110v outlets work just fine.

Is this bad batteries? Our batteries are in need of replacement. Or just a bad or loose fuse?

Thanks!

P.S. We came across a shop selling a 2/16 stamped set of six brand new 6-volt Trojan batteries for $520, cash. Anyone have any thoughts? Seems like a great price.
Have you checked to see if any other 12 volt systems in the coach also loose power when the lights go off. The lights and many of the 12 volt powered components of your coach receive their power through the infamous "Salesman Relay" that is controlled by the so called "Salesman Switch" near the entry door. That contactor is in the front run bay and looks like an old Ford starter contactor. It is very common for these contactors to be intermittent and cause just the symptoms you describe. Most everyone, my self included, have bypassed that contactor. The easiest way is to remove the two battery size cables and connect them together with a bolt. Then tape up the bolt. Do a search on "Salesman Switch" and you will find days of reading.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach has several florescent lights on the ceiling down the living room. All of them except the front one would go off sometimes. I opened up the front fixture and reworked the wire nut connections going to the other lights. Problem solved!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Have you checked to see if any other 12 volt systems in the coach also loose power when the lights go off. The lights and many of the 12 volt powered components of your coach receive their power through the infamous "Salesman Relay" that is controlled by the so called "Salesman Switch" near the entry door. That contactor is in the front run bay and looks like an old Ford starter contactor. It is very common for these contactors to be intermittent and cause just the symptoms you describe. Most everyone, my self included, have bypassed that contactor. The easiest way is to remove the two battery size cables and connect them together with a bolt. Then tape up the bolt. Do a search on "Salesman Switch" and you will find days of reading.

Bob
nodine

ereadingrv
I agree with Bob.
Most likely your "salesman switch" has failed.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Bob
Hi, Bob:

Okay, here's what is probably a REALLY dumb question...but what other systems in the coach are 12v besides the interior lights? I honestly thought that was the only thing.

Again, dumb question, I know...but I honestly didn't know 12v was anything but the interior lighting, cigarette lighter jack (yes, ours has one), etc.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Bob
Bob, in addition to my question about 12v (the dumb one), I have a question about what you mean by the "front run bay". Is this where the generator is? And by the "Salesman Switch" near the entry door, is this one of the switches on the bank of switches by the front door? Or is this some kind of hidden switch?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:06 AM   #8

ereadingrv-

I can answer for Bob ("nodine").

The "Front Run Bay" refers to the box of electricals located inside the bay that's under the driver's right foot. It's also known as a "Front Distribution Panel." I'll post a link to a picture as soon as I can find one.

The "salesman switch" is usually found in the bank of switches immediately inside the entrance door to the coach. It's so located to allow a "salesman" to disable a portion of the 12V services when exiting the coach.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #9

ereadingrv-

OK, here's a post showing the solenoid-in-question in the Front Distribution Panel of a 2001 Diplomat. Your coach's panel may be different.

There are "before" and "after" (i.e., bypassed) photos there.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
[[ The "Front Run Bay" refers to the box of electricals located inside the bay that's under the driver's right foot. It's also known as a "Front Distribution Panel." I'll post a link to a picture as soon as I can find one. ]]

Hi...thanks for the help! Okay, I'm assuming you mean the driver's LEFT foot, correct? We found that bay...but there are NO red-wrapped wires or cleanly-marked "solenoid" bolts/hookups that we can see. I'm going to take pictures in a bit and try and see if anyone can identify the right thing so we can bypass the solenoid.

I do know from looking at the pictures supplied that Monaco CLEARLY changed a good number of things around after 1999, which is the year of our Diplomat. I have a 2000 manual in PDF form, but it's not shedding much light on the solenoid issue...although the cutoff switch missing from beside the front door in the 1999 appears to be above the house batteries in the battery compartment.

[[ The "salesman switch" is usually found in the bank of switches immediately inside the entrance door to the coach. It's so located to allow a "salesman" to disable a portion of the 12V services when exiting the coach. ]]

Sadly, as mentioned above, there is no cutoff switch inside the door of the 99 Diplomat. I'm assuming for now that it is the same one as described in the 2000 manual, which is inside the battery compartment.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
ereadingrv-

OK, here's a post showing the solenoid-in-question in the Front Distribution Panel of a 2001 Diplomat. Your coach's panel may be different.

There are "before" and "after" (i.e., bypassed) photos there.
I think ours is, being a 1999, so we're taking pictures to post here. We're a lot less intimidated by poking around the coach than we were 8 months ago, but this is a new one to us. Hopefully, someone can look at the pictures we're going to post and "Cliff Note" us through the process of bypassing the solenoid. For the record, although our batteries need replacement, we are reading 13v on the status panel.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:41 AM   #12

ereadingrv-

Yes, my mistake- The "Front Run Box" is under the driver's left foot. Of which I have two, so it's a wonder I wrote "right foot" at all. ;-)
Old 04-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
ereadingrv-

Yes, my mistake- The "Front Run Box" is under the driver's left foot. Of which I have two, so it's a wonder I wrote "right foot" at all. ;-)
No problem, Mark, I just wanted to make sure we weren't losing our minds. We've been working at this for about two hours, and it's now 4am...so losing our minds might be a real possibility before the sun comes up!

Richard & Erin
Old 04-30-2016, 05:04 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Battery Compartment & Front Distribution Panel 4 Solenoid Bypass Help

Okay, posted are (first) two pictures of the battery compartment. Yes, we know that in the second, new picture of the battery bay there is a seventh battery shoehorned in their and being used to supplement the other two chassis batteries. That is a temporary situation until next week, when we're adding 6 new batteries.

Following the battery compartment photos are two photos of the Front Distribution Panel, so that people can see how (relatively) different it is from, for example, the 2001 Diplomat. At least, it is for those of less technically-proficient!

Any help with the solenoid and/or solenoid workaround would be appreciated! I did a search of the forums, and there ARE a lot of posts on this...unfortunately, none that we could relate to with our particular setup, since it is a 1999 Diplomat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bay-1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	125629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bay-2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	125630  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers Side Fuse Bay-1.jpg