Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Interior stair well slide cover

I'm trying to understand the operation of the electric slide step cover. When you either open or close the cover, what tells the motor to stop? are there micro switches or does it stop when enough resistance is applied?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bill are you sure it is electric? Mine is air operated. If its air then I believe once closed the air holds pressure against a arm on the bottom of the cover and when opened air is bled off.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is electric. An electric motor turns a jack screw. The jack screw pushes the cover out till it gets to the end, then it stands up to flush. Open your door, go outside, close the step cover, then look under the step cover. There it is. Maybe have an assistant motor the cover while you watch. It's nice to know how this stuff works.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #4

I'm actually curious as well. My step cover SHOULD be powered, but either the motor is dead or there's a bad connection somewhere. I have yet to figure out how to get around/underneath/INTO whatever to see the mechanism and service or repair it. Schematics would be awesome.

The cover itself, when pulled out or pushed in, emits a 'r-r-r-r-rap' noise, so the transport mechanism is still attached to it.
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
Bill are you sure it is electric? Mine is air operated. If its air then I believe once closed the air holds pressure against a arm on the bottom of the cover and when opened air is bled off.
some are air operated, but mine is 100% 12 volt.

I'm trying to understand what stops the motor once the slide is fully out (or in). I haven't done it, but if I hold the switch after the cover is in or out, will it blow a fuse?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoPilot View Post
I'm actually curious as well. My step cover SHOULD be powered, but either the motor is dead or there's a bad connection somewhere. I have yet to figure out how to get around/underneath/INTO whatever to see the mechanism and service or repair it. Schematics would be awesome.

The cover itself, when pulled out or pushed in, emits a 'r-r-r-r-rap' noise, so the transport mechanism is still attached to it.
If it gets stuck in the in position, you have to persuade it to come out. That's what sounds like it happening on yours since you can hear the noise. Years ago, mine did jamb closed. Grab the front face and give it a good pull.

Once you get it out, there are a lot of moving parts, hinges, bearings, and pivot points. I use dry lube to keep everything working.

As I understand it, in order to access the motor, the entire assembly has to be pulled out. I know Perry (10 Boomer) did it, and it's not easy.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
If it gets stuck in the in position, you have to persuade it to come out. That's what sounds like it happening on yours since you can hear the noise. Years ago, mine did jamb closed. Grab the front face and give it a good pull.

Once you get it out, there are a lot of moving parts, hinges, bearings, and pivot points. I use dry lube to keep everything working.

As I understand it, in order to access the motor, the entire assembly has to be pulled out. I know Perry (10 Boomer) did it, and it's not easy.

It’s time consuming and took awhile to remove. I also didn’t have all the stair materials in place either. I redid the whole area.
After seeing Vans situation at QZ. Some of the coaches have offset stair openings. That makes it even harder. Mine came out at a slight angle and with a few parts apart to get the slides out to. I reassembled what I could to bench test everything. Mine was really gunned up with stuff, the end shaft bushing was bad also.
I used rivers where I could, and bolts in others areas. My motor was ok, so I just looked adjustments, bushings. Etc.
it’s all done, my only complaint is I have a pesky rattle under my step now. Still searching.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
It’s time consuming and took awhile to remove. I also didn’t have all the stair materials in place either. I redid the whole area.
After seeing Vans situation at QZ. Some of the coaches have offset stair openings. That makes it even harder. Mine came out at a slight angle and with a few parts apart to get the slides out to. I reassembled what I could to bench test everything. Mine was really gunned up with stuff, the end shaft bushing was bad also.
I used rivers where I could, and bolts in others areas. My motor was ok, so I just looked adjustments, bushings. Etc.
it’s all done, my only complaint is I have a pesky rattle under my step now. Still searching.
Perry,

when you extend your step out, what caused the motor to stop? Are there switches somewhere?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

I didn’t see any, it just stops at the end against a bushing.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks 10boomer. I've just started re-doing my entrance (your's looks so nice, you got me thinking), and need to adjust the travel to make my design work. I've configured some stops so the bushing on the threaded rod stops a little early. It's seems to be working, so I think you're right, there are no other limit switches.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
YC1

There are no switches on mine on my 08 Endeavor. It is electric. It just gets to the end and you stop pushing the button.

The buttons on both my operation places acted up.

IF the slide sticks in and you hear the motor trying to open and close but won't you will need to find the screws that hold the front piece on.

A magnet might help find them. In worse case you can use pliars to grab a big tuff of carpet and give it a gentle jerk to get the staples to come out.

With the front plate off you can see inside. To prevent mine from sticking I installed a small length of wood to keep the face plate from retracting all the way in. It does not cause the cover to stick out noticeably. Just a tiny bit.

The switches can be cleaned inside if you are handy with those types of repairs.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Mine is electric. An electric motor turns a jack screw. The jack screw pushes the cover out till it gets to the end, then it stands up to flush. Open your door, go outside, close the step cover, then look under the step cover. There it is. Maybe have an assistant motor the cover while you watch. It's nice to know how this stuff works.
Yep, what he said☝️
BayouBoy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
There are no switches on mine on my 08 Endeavor. It is electric. It just gets to the end and you stop pushing the button.

The buttons on both my operation places acted up.

IF the slide sticks in and you hear the motor trying to open and close but won't you will need to find the screws that hold the front piece on.

A magnet might help find them. In worse case you can use pliars to grab a big tuff of carpet and give it a gentle jerk to get the staples to come out.

With the front plate off you can see inside. To prevent mine from sticking I installed a small length of wood to keep the face plate from retracting all the way in. It does not cause the cover to stick out noticeably. Just a tiny bit.

The switches can be cleaned inside if you are handy with those types of repairs.
That wood block is a good idea. Occasionally my step will stay stuck in the closed position. I can hear the motor trying to push it. A little tug on the front cover and it comes out just fine.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
YC1

Bill, I fought mine on many occassions. Probably why the switches arced inside and failed. No more problems after adding the wood to keep if from closing so tightly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cover, interior, slide