Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Intermittent Fuel Gauge?

I am posting this question here as I posted it in the Roadmaster chassis forum, and it looks like that may have been the wrong place.

Now, I know the initial response may be “bad connection”, and that may be the case. But I have reason to believe it is something different than a bad connection or ground.

My gauge either reads, correctly or not at all, as soon as the engine is started. It never changes while we are driving (other than if it is working and we are driving a long way it drops as we drive). What I mean by this is that as we are driving it never starts working or stops working like I believe a bad connection might act. It is about a 50/50 chance that when I start the engine, the gauge will work.

Can anyone tell me if the fuel gauge circuit goes through the ECM or not? Any other ideas?

Also, the "Low Fuel" light does NOT come on when the gauge is not working? (it reads zero when it is not working) But the light does work when the gauge is working, and the fuel gets low enough.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Run a new ground wire to tank sensor. That solved my problem of the gauge needle "drifting" etc.

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I am posting this question here as I posted it in the Roadmaster chassis forum, and it looks like that may have been the wrong place.

Now, I know the initial response may be “bad connection”, and that may be the case. But I have reason to believe it is something different than a bad connection or ground.

My gauge either reads, correctly or not at all, as soon as the engine is started. It never changes while we are driving (other than if it is working and we are driving a long way it drops as we drive). What I mean by this is that as we are driving it never starts working or stops working like I believe a bad connection might act. It is about a 50/50 chance that when I start the engine, the gauge will work.

Can anyone tell me if the fuel gauge circuit goes through the ECM or not?

No

Any other ideas?

Pretty good chance DeSanford is on to it .......grounds are suspect at best in coach's

Also, the "Low Fuel" light does NOT come on when the gauge is not working? (it reads zero when it is not working) But the light does work when the gauge is working, and the fuel gets low enough.
Happy Hunting
Old 09-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #4

OK, I will try the ground.

It's just hard to understand an intermittent ground that only goes good or bad when the engine is started, and then never changes at all when driving hundreds of miles.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will report back when I find the problem.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Double check the tightness of the wires on the Centroid fuel sender on top of fuel tank. It should be on passenger's side of tank.

Search the forum for Centroid to read of the many issues over the past 20 years.

Next Google Centroid and note there is an early model and late model sender. Centroid has a troubleshooting guide for the sender.

Also wash top of sender with dish soap and gentle scrubbing to remove the dirt and grime. Anything stronger might remove the lettering on the tag pasted to top of sender. Hopefully, you can get a model number to help with your search. You won't be able to see top of sender, so use you phone's camera.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel