Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Internal air for tires? Holiday Rambler

Does anyone use the internal air system to air up their tires? Mine has the air fitting in the front compartment next to the Gen... thx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a set up for using my coach air to fill the tires. It works but has some drawbacks. First is you need to have the pressure near max to fill tires so you have to bleed the air once it is below the target pressure to activate the compressor to get it back up to a high enough pressure to fill the tires. This is especially hard on the steer tires as they have a higher pressure. Secondly you need to carry a long hose as well has the gauge and chuck so there is still somewhat of a storage issue. On the other hand the other option of a stand alone compressors takes up even more valuable storage space.
Procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
A long air hose was one of the first accessories I bought for my coach. If I need air on a regular basis, I'll buy a compressor. That hasn't happened yet.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some people will tell you how easy it is to air off coach system. Others like myself will tell you it might make your brain vapor lock. Get a Craftsman 150 lb compressor and it will be much easier. Doesn't take up much room.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The on-board compressor outlet on my coach is in the compartment under the driver where the propane tank is! I've seen where some folks say the one by the generator is for towing companies to connect to for towing the MH!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check that front fitting beside the generator to see if you can actually get air there. On my coach, that fitting is to put air into the coach, primarily for a tow truck to be able to put air into the coach system to tow it.

On my coach, there's another fitting at the back of the coach in the engine compartment to get air. Others have it in the propane bay.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
mine is like Joe's
Old 11-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is next to the propane tank, too. I don't think the one in the gen compartment can be used to air tires.
One note: I left the air hose connected and the sharp bend caused an air leak at the chuck that drove me nuts before I happened to jostle it and heard it hiss. I now disconnect it after each use.

Cheers,
Old 11-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Mine is next to the propane tank, too. I don't think the one in the gen compartment can be used to air tires.

Cheers,
That depends on your coach. It's been said on this board many times ... 'These rigs are like snowflakes'!
I have 4 air connectors on a single manifold in my generator compartment. Top one is the air coupler you can plug into to air tires etc. 2nd is for external air supply (tow truck), and doubles as the wet tank drain. Bottom two valves are stricktly drains, (front and rear dry tank).
Old 12-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Long Island Mac

Carried compressor for first two RV's. Present one has outlet for being towed and one for adding an air hose to. I have mounted a reel w/75' (to reach a toad) of air hose by the generator. When (on steering wheel) I press the cruise button and the set button, the rpm's stay at 1500, and pressure stays at 115/125. This will continue to give enough pressure to reach 90 lb./100 lb. which is what I use on my tires. This is not for filling all tires, and only used once. Use truck stops when I have to add air to a bunch of tires. So far this works well.
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #11

The compress or air brakes on a diesel pusher is a very expensive tire inflater. Typical replacement is about $800 plus labor.

The compressor is not designed for the the volume and pressure that tires require. The effective pressure for the air brake system is 100-120 psi, the switch-on switch-off points. Not really enough pressure to top off a 115 psi tire.

You can crank up the compressor cut-off to 130 psi and be going to the parts store sooner for a new compressor.

Any electrical compressor or a CO2 system is lower in cost and better than using your engine compressor.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
I have a set up for using my coach air to fill the tires. It works but has some drawbacks. First is you need to have the pressure near max to fill tires so you have to bleed the air once it is below the target pressure to activate the compressor to get it back up to a high enough pressure to fill the tires. This is especially hard on the steer tires as they have a higher pressure. Secondly you need to carry a long hose as well has the gauge and chuck so there is still somewhat of a storage issue. On the other hand the other option of a stand alone compressors takes up even more valuable storage space.
Procyon
With an "on board" air compressor, (and with most "stand alone" air compressors), you have to do that if/when you need to add more than a few PSI to a tire.
Only the large compressors, (at tire shops, truck stops and the like), have the capacity to air up MH tires without that PITA procedure.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

My Power Tank CO2 system is set for 170 psi, more than enough for any 22.5 tire. I can go higher but no need. And it is silent.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
On my coach, that fitting is to put air into the coach, primarily for a tow truck to be able to put air into the coach system to tow it.
X2 just don't ask me how I learned this Fact. A 40 footer on a lowboy isn't pretty.
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, holiday rambler