Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Internal bracing

We have a 04 HR Imperial 40PKD. A chronic problem is the windshield. We are on our third after almost 8 yrs and 87k mi. The current one has lasted the longest, not cracking or recieving too many rock hits. Its problem is that I can't keep it "glued" in. I've had it reset twice an it just keeps working loose which allows water to leak in while traveling, (not when standing still) and a variety of noises when any twist occurs in the frame, such as going over a driveway entrance and even when leveling the coach in a CG.
My observation is that if there were no, or less twist in the coach during normal travel the condition wouldn't occur or at least be prolonged. I've tried to find glass installers in the areas we travel that can handle it but most don't even know to bring a ladder to do the job!!

The idea that I want to put forward for discusson is putting large triangular braces between the floor and sidewalls to stiffen the coach body. Two triangular braces about 3' on the bottom and 5' up the inside of the sidewall would do it I think. I would install them behind the driver and passenger seats. My concern is that it wouldn't have the desired effect and perhaps cause other damage at the points where they are attached to the floor and walls of the coach.
The perfect fix for the coach as constructed would be to install internal "X" bracing inside the coach but then it wouldn't be usable.
Ideas?
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #2

Heartland RV Club
I had a 07 Holiday Rambler Neptune with the same problem ,there is no bracing around the top of the windshield area.
Do a search for a Halo kit ,
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/back...burg-1282.html

I got lucky the last time I had the windshield reset. the guy knew how to set rv glass. good luck.
P.S. Winnebago has a full frame around the windshield
Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

I have an '04 Monaco Knight. Since you mentioned that you get some loud noises when leveling, I thought I'd mention that, if you have three leveling posts like I do, you should extend the front single leveling post first, then extend the two rear posts. This allows the MH to rock slightly on the front post while leveling the MH and places less strain of twisting on the coach body. Or you may already be doing this and still have the problem.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ranger View Post
I have an '04 Monaco Knight. Since you mentioned that you get some loud noises when leveling, I thought I'd mention that, if you have three leveling posts like I do, you should extend the front single leveling post first, then extend the two rear posts. This allows the MH to rock slightly on the front post while leveling the MH and places less strain of twisting on the coach body. Or you may already be doing this and still have the problem.
Ours has the RVA jack system. It automatically levels the coach. The front jack always comes down first so the pivot is established. I used to let the air out of the bags first then level but the shield tries to come out of the fram on the upper corners so I do it with the bags aired up. I've gotten to the point where I can look at a site and know if I'm going to be able to level up on it and deal with the CG owner/mgr accordingly.
Monaco did do what they called a Halo kit on some coaches but I havn't heard of any Imperials or Windsors getting the treatment. I also havn't heard of any being done after market.
Ron
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Back in 2001 while attending a FMCA rally in Redmond, I had A1 Glass come out to the KOA I was at and install a driver’s side windshield for me. I kept the card in the coach, just in case.

But over the years I have used other glass companies that are in my area, with good success until 2008. While having some warranty work performed I had them replace my windshield due to stone damage. After two months the top right popped out, with a ˝” air gap! I couldn’t go back because we became “unfriends.”

Like you, I knew where I could go and where I couldn’t while trying to keep the windshield in. But it just kept getting worse, along with the moans and groans of the cabinets and superstructure above the windshield. I even added additional aluminum structure, to no avail. YUK!

Over the next two years I got pretty adept at getting the windshield seated again in about 10-15 minutes. More YUK!

So, I called A1 Glass in Oregon. I was impressed with the knowledge of Robin on the other end of the phone. They knew about problem windshields. And to top it off, they have a warehouse in Phoenix, and with an installer.

Mark Beaty, the installer comes to my house, with a helper and go to work. I explained the history and my feeling that the structure needed reinforcement, especially knowing Monaco put on “Halo Kits” on some of the problem coaches. He felt otherwise after looking at it. Then they spent 6 hours prepping for, installing, and sealing, the windshield. (Mark had worked at Country Coach and did structure integrity test and structure modifications/enhancements.)

As I thought the coach had changed structurally over the years of flexing, I was skeptical that my windshield was fixed. I was wrong! In the last 18 months, I have had no windshield problems at all. The gasket has not move at all, along with the windshield.

No more moans, groans or popped out windshields. I’m one happy camper now.

Now you have an excuse to come to Quartszite in January. And if you can’t make it, give them a call.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Back in 2001 while attending a FMCA rally in Redmond, I had A1 Glass come out to the KOA I was at and install a driver’s side windshield for me. I kept the card in the coach, just in case.

But over the years I have used other glass companies that are in my area, with good success until 2008. While having some warranty work performed I had them replace my windshield due to stone damage. After two months the top right popped out, with a ˝” air gap! I couldn’t go back because we became “unfriends.”

Like you, I knew where I could go and where I couldn’t while trying to keep the windshield in. But it just kept getting worse, along with the moans and groans of the cabinets and superstructure above the windshield. I even added additional aluminum structure, to no avail. YUK!

Over the next two years I got pretty adept at getting the windshield seated again in about 10-15 minutes. More YUK!

So, I called A1 Glass in Oregon. I was impressed with the knowledge of Robin on the other end of the phone. They knew about problem windshields. And to top it off, they have a warehouse in Phoenix, and with an installer.

Mark Beaty, the installer comes to my house, with a helper and go to work. I explained the history and my feeling that the structure needed reinforcement, especially knowing Monaco put on “Halo Kits” on some of the problem coaches. He felt otherwise after looking at it. Then they spent 6 hours prepping for, installing, and sealing, the windshield. (Mark had worked at Country Coach and did structure integrity test and structure modifications/enhancements.)

As I thought the coach had changed structurally over the years of flexing, I was skeptical that my windshield was fixed. I was wrong! In the last 18 months, I have had no windshield problems at all. The gasket has not move at all, along with the windshield.

No more moans, groans or popped out windshields. I’m one happy camper now.

Now you have an excuse to come to Quartszite in January. And if you can’t make it, give them a call.
As luck would have it we might well be in Q soon. There is a group of old friends meeting for a week, boondocked, on public land north of town. I'll check it out.
A1 installed the first shield at the Monaco warranty shop in Harrisburg. The second they did in their shop ine Eugene. Since that I've had the thing "sealed" twice. It's not costing me much but is a point of iritation.

Ron