Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Inverter circuits? Shouldn't they run on Gen/Shore also?

I've been having problems with my Xantrex Freedom 458. First it wouldn't charge my house batteries but it was inverting ok. I tinkered with it with the help of some good folks on this website, and Xantrex Tech Support but nothing resolved the problem. Batteries (all new) weren't being charged.

Now, the unit won't even invert anymore, which makes me believe that it's on its last legs (actually, both legs are broken now).

The unit is a 2009 model and I'm not sure what kind of life expectancy it should have? I think I'd rather just buy a new one and install it myself as opposed to paying a service center a chunk of money to refurbish this old POS.

Here is my question: the circuits that are dedicated to the inverter won't even power up with the generator or shore power. Why could this be? It's got an AC input and an AC output. Even if the unit it toast, shouldn't the circuit still be closed?

The bottom line is that we don't often dry camp and rarely use the inverter so I don't really want to spend a ton on a new pure wave unit. I do need a good charger though. At least 40 amps I think.

Appreciate any comments.

-Rob
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

You may have a faulty transfer switch.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Shore/gen power feeds thru most inverters. If same circuits which are now dead used to work both on shore power and on inverter it's likely that the internal circuitry of the now dead inverter is no longer doing that feed-thru job. Call it the inverter's internal xfer switch... probably what oldguy70 was referring to, not the xfer switch which transfers between shore and genset power.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #4

Taking the inverter out of the 110 volt wiring circuit to get all your outlets operating , would be a east DIY job, with only a covered household junction box some cable clamps and wire nuts required. As would installing a regular converter/charger in place of the inverter ( for a Class A JMHO you should think 75 amps ) The only problem I can think of would be finding a, circuit breaker protected outlet to power the new converter charger, and that depends on the current location of the inverter.
If you have the Xantrex install manual , it shows 4 different wiring options , as far as location of the inverter in the coaches wiring system , you'd need to know which one is your wiring set up.

DIY install of a new similar inverter , would be the quickest DIY, and in the event of any planned sale of the coach, preferable.
But setting your coach up to operate without the inverter, and a straight converter/charger in it's place, is possible but more time consuming .
Do you have any experience with 110 volt electrical ?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. My main transfer switch is working fine. I've removed the Inverter/Charger and verified that I've got good AC power (121 volts) on the input line. I tested it on shore power and on Gen power and both give good AC values. I also tested the AC Output wires (coach not inverter) for back-feeding and it is reading zero so I'm ok there as well.

To answer the question, no, i'm not much of an electrician but am fairly technically minded. Spent two years majoring in Aerospace Engineering until I realized that all I did was study and never had time for beer ;-)

I think the best idea is for me to just replace the unit with a another similar device. Keeping the old unit will give me all the spare parts I might need if anything ever goes wrong in the future (after warranty period) with the new one.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The control panel in our Windsor will not let the inverter work if shore power or generator is powering the coach! I can leave the inverter switch on and it will just blink on standby, then go to steady green when other power is shut off.

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

Label all the wiring as you disconnect and take pictures as you go .
Last one ( Xantrex ) I helped with was 30/40 mins before the beer (s).

EDIT: I see Joe and I tied on a post time , and he typed and posted pictures ... boy I type slow.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #8

The most likely things to fail are what has probably failed on the old one. I'd replace it with as close a like for like as I could.

I would also consider looking for anyone who repairs the model you have. If the price is not too ridiculous to check it out I would consider that at least as far as getting an estimate. The two common failures I used to see with similar equipment were bad solder joints and fried magnetics. It's cheap and easy to re do connections. Bad transformers or chokes are often hard to get and expensive.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
10-4 on getting an estimate and labeling things during disassembly. Actually, I always make a video with my phone and narrate to myself as I take things apart.

Xantrex lists authorized service centers and there is one in Winchester, VA which is about an hour away for me. I'm wondering if an RV Retail/Service Center would also do the work?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #10

I agree with the OP. The easiest fix is to simply replace the old unit with a same make/model new one.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
.... My main transfer switch is working fine. I've removed the Inverter/Charger and verified that I've got good AC power (121 volts) on the input line. ...
I think the best idea is for me to just replace the unit with a another similar device. Keeping the old unit will give me all the spare parts I might need if anything ever goes wrong in the future (after warranty period) with the new one.
Surely your main xfer switch is OK since you do get shore and genset power on the non-inverter outlets. (I was attempting to clarify another post I saw referencing transfer switches; some use that term to describe the circuitry inside the inverter as a transfer switch)

If you've already removed the inverter and are thinking of replacing it your self anyway, you could follow the 'bypass' method that Skip suggested to so you have power at all your outlets for now. Whatever has gone out in the inverter, a shop which repairs them may be able to give you an idea of their costs. It may be more cost effective to replace than to repair and that may be your best alternative unless the failed inverter is fairly new.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #12

Although it's a transfer switch inside the inverter, many inverters call it a pass through switch.

When 120 volts is avalable from shore or generator power, it " pass's " through the inverter, on to the outlets. When no outside source of power, it switchs to inverter mode to create it.

Calling it a pass through switch keeps the confusion down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
A fellow camper was having problems with his 458 recently and found that the ground wire inside/behind the small plate where connections are made had become loose due to vibration. Look for black soot around the wiring connections from your electrical panel to the inverter. This was the problem point for him. In addition, my 458 stopped inverting power(but continued the charging function) and AC pass through worked. After speaking with Xantrex Repair Center they said it was probably the Inverter Board which sells for $600. Needless to say, I replaced my Inverter. FWIW. Good luck with yours.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Although it's a transfer switch inside the inverter, many inverters call it a pass through switch.

When 120 volts is avalable from shore or generator power, it " pass's " through the inverter, on to the outlets. When no outside source of power, it switchs to inverter mode to create it.

Calling it a pass through switch keeps the confusion down.
Well said.

Tags
inverter