Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Inverter Question

I'm trying to figure out when we hook to shore power do we have to turn our inverter off? The book says it automatically changes to standby mode. We have a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40PST and for the last year of ownership when we get home I have plugged it in to shore power but have not turned the inverter off. Will this damage or put the inverter at risk? If I am supposed to turn it off, what is the reasoning and do I need to go out every so often and turn it back on to charge my batteries? TIA! still learning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only reason I can see to have to turn it off is to keep the batteries from overcharging.
I turn mine off but that's just my preference. If the power goes out the home refer will drain my battery bank pretty quickly. I put a lamp in a window I can see out the stick house kitchen window. No light, no power. Then I can figure out what is wrong and my batteries aren't ruined.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #3

Leave it on. It will just go to pass thru. The only time to turn it off would be to save batteries when not plugged in to shore power, such as storage or leaving it at a shop for a few days. With 2 inverters, I would turn the charger off on one, but otherwise everything is left on while plugged in.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

No, you do not need to turn the inverter ON to charge your batteries. The 'inverter' gets its power from the 12 volt batteries and converts or ”inverts” 12 volt DC to 115 AC. While the system does have a battery charging function, the INVERTER SWITCH specifically is operating the inverter function to INVERT low voltage DC to high voltage AC power.

In my 04 Monaco, I have never turned the inverter off. There are people who recommend having it ON only when you're using it. But, in my opinion, you would be missing one of the benefits of the system; it senses a loss of shore power and will almost instantaneously switch to inverted power. It acts as a quasi UPS (uninterruptible power supply). As a full-timer, I have lived through power outages and never noticed it... Only to find out the next day that my neighbors we're suffering without power (specifically those in fifth wheels).
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our inverter has been on for the past seven years of full-timing and has caused no problems.
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We leave it on all of the time. If shore power fails, I am covered by switching to inverter.
Bad part is if it switches to inverter...you don't always know!
I leave it on always.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter