Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Inverter question

I have a 2004 Monaco Camelot. It has an up to date Norcold gas/electric fridge. When I prep for a trip, I usually fire the fridge up 48 hours before leaving on my 50 amp shore power. Day of departure, I shut down the fridge until I get out on level road then turn it on gas. Never have a problem doing it this way. I’m wondering if the Norcold is on the 2000w inverter circuit. All receptacles on the inverter are on the curbside. I once made a half attempt to see if the inverter would run the fridge, but was never quite sure.
Does anyone know for sure if this particular coach can run the fridge on the inverter?
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

My refrigerator runs on gas, electric, or auto. It operates on 12v while on the road, but as soon as I turn off the ignition (on auto), it switches over to propane. I don't think your refrigerator runs on 110AC, but on 12V DC from your house batteries, which are kept charged by your Converter when you are plugged into the garage plug.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
I have a 2004 Monaco Camelot. It has an up to date Norcold gas/electric fridge. When I prep for a trip, I usually fire the fridge up 48 hours before leaving on my 50 amp shore power. Day of departure, I shut down the fridge until I get out on level road then turn it on gas. Never have a problem doing it this way. I’m wondering if the Norcold is on the 2000w inverter circuit. All receptacles on the inverter are on the curbside. I once made a half attempt to see if the inverter would run the fridge, but was never quite sure.
Does anyone know for sure if this particular coach can run the fridge on the inverter?
My norcold never ran through the inverter. The Ice maker did, however. I had 2 plugs behind the fridge, 1 inverter (ice) and the other was not. When on shore power or generator, the fridge would run on the 110, otherwise it would switch to propane.

When I converted to a residential, I had to re-work the wiring back there as the new fridge would not fit with the location of the plugs. Now my residential fridge does run through the inverter.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Your fridge is probably not on an inverter circuit. If it has a built in ice maker, the ice maker is probably plugged into an inverted outlet.
The larger absorption fridges draw a fair amount of power on electric. This is why they didn't plug them into inverter circuits. They would drain your house batteries fairly quickly.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #5

Like Bill said.

I'm a one finger typer !!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
My refrigerator runs on gas, electric, or auto. It operates on 12v while on the road, but as soon as I turn off the ignition (on auto), it switches over to propane. I don't think your refrigerator runs on 110AC, but on 12V DC from your house batteries, which are kept charged by your Converter when you are plugged into the garage plug.
What model fridge do you have ?

Its rare to find a 3 way fridge in a large MH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #7

So that’s what I thought. The 1200 model Norcold has to be on gas as you travel. The inverter will not power the fridge. Using gas as you travel is not the safest, but the only way. Thanks all.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Using gas as you travel is not the safest, but the only way. Thanks all.
In about 30,000 mi between two different coaches, it's never been an issue for us.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

So that’s what I thought. The 1200 model Norcold has to be on gas as you travel. The inverter will not power the fridge. Using gas as you travel is not the safest, but the only way. Thanks all.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

You can go into the lower outside vent cover and plug in the fridge instead of the ice maker inverted outlet, and run off the batteries while running down the road, (with the inverter turned on). You will be working your engine alternator harder.
Just watch when you stop, if you are not plugging in right away. It will run down your battery bank fairly quick.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I ran my 1200 for years on propane while traveling. Never an issue. Since we're in the desert s/w, during the late spring/summer months, we had the generator running, which would switch the 1200 over to 110 volts automatically.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter