Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPat View Post
Richard

Regardless one shouldn't have to rely on forums to get notification of safety hazards due to installed equipment. I'd have been happy to get a letter from Monaco informing me of the issue, even if they weren't going to make it right. At least that would afforded me the opportunity to proactively address it before I needed a fire extinguisher.

Pat
Pat,

Sometimes us RV owners have to be proactive in searching out recalls and problems on our own especially nowadays when so many companies have gone out of business or have been bought up by others who do not assume the same responsibility as the previous company.

There is a web site on the Internet where anyone can go look up to see if there have been any recalls on certain devices or vehicles.

It's called the NHTSA web site.

Here is what they had listed for your 2009 Monaco Camelot.

Also, you can try searching the Internet for recalls and problems associated with certain devices by using different word phrases.

THIS is what I came up with on the Internet by using the search phrase "IOTA 50 amp Transfer Switch Recall".

These are simply suggestions for the future or for anyone reading or following this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I am the second owner and I have the IOTA switch also. I popped off the cover and did an inspection and all the screws were tight and no discoloration on any of the wires.

My understanding was that the problem arises only when the screws loosen causing an insufficient contact/connection to the wires....correct?
It's totally up to you but if it were me I'd be changing that switch out in a heartbeat.

I want nothing to do with anything made by the old IOTA company. If you knew the story and history behind the people who were making the IOTA transfer switch you would follow my advice.

BTW, the original company went out of business due to the loses it sustained on fire claims. Then they started another company called IOTA Engineering but you will notice that they no longer offer any transfer switch on their products list.

Duh! I wonder why.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I want nothing to do with anything made by the old IOTA company. If you knew the story and history behind the people who were making the IOTA transfer switch you would follow my advice.

BTW, the original company went out of business due to the loses it sustained on fire claims. Then they started another company called*IOTA Engineering*but you will notice that they no longer offer any transfer switch on their products list.

Duh! I wonder why.

I would replace with either of the ESCO switches
I agree Richard !
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
There is a web site on the Internet where anyone can go look up to see if there have been any recalls on certain devices or vehicles.

It's called the NHTSA web site.
Interesting. It lists 3 recalls for my coach:
  • Windshield wiper arms
  • Atwood stove
  • Cummins wrist pins
I was notified of the first two, and had the dealer do the work on them. (Although by that time I had already had one failure of the wipers where a connecting rod popped off during a heavy rain causing the wipers to stop wiping. Fortunately it was within a couple miles of an Interstate exit and I could get off and pop the linkage back in place.)

The third one is for the infamous Cummins exploding engines. I didn't receive a recall notice on that, but then my engine serial number is a good 43,000 units higher than the affected serial number range. So I don't see an issue there.

There is no IOTA recall listed on NHTSA for my 2007 Endeavor, so that could be why I was never notified? I also don't see one for CaptPat's 2009 Camelot. Is that because only certain models were recalled, or does the IOTA recall not show up on the HNTSA database?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Adam,

There is no recall for the IOTA Transfer Switch issued by IOTA because they were out of business by then.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco (Navistar) did issue a recall to NHTSA on Feb 16,2012

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:
12V060000

Search on: Search for a Recall | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Dennis
Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
There is no recall for the IOTA Transfer Switch issued by IOTA because they were out of business by then.
Understood. It was stated earlier in this thread that the recall was issued by Monaco. That's why I was searching using Monaco or Holiday Rambler as the manufacturer.

Using DP01's campaign ID, it looks like Endeavors and Caymans from 2010-2011 are covered by the campaign, so that's why my 2007 Endeavor and Camelot's 2009 Cayman doesn't show up when searching by vehicle. That also explains why neither of us received notification of the recall - we aren't covered by it. (Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we aren't affected by the problem!)
Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I still have the IOTA switch in my '09 Camelot but am carrying a new ESCO transfer switch in my parts bin. I just haven't gotten around to installing it, I guess this will be a huge incentive to get off my duff and get it done.

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis/Richard

Thanks for the links. I've had the brake and light recall done already. It's interesting that they are covering Beaver coaches as far back as 2008 and some model 2009's just not all of the 2009's I guess.

Now that the original Monaco is gone I wonder who (if anyone) will be monitoring and issuing future recalls should some other equipment problem come up. I'm not banking on NHTSA to get the job done after the GM ignition issue. May be that forums like IRV2 will be the only game in town.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPat View Post
DMay be that forums like IRV2 will be the only game in town.
Sadly, this is probably the case.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCamelot View Post
I still have the IOTA switch in my '09 Camelot but am carrying a new ESCO transfer switch in my parts bin. I just haven't gotten around to installing it, I guess this will be a huge incentive to get off my duff and get it done.

John
with our experience---- this is HIGH PRIORITY!

we came very close to burning it up, luckily we were close by when it went.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCamelot View Post

John
I'd recommend changing it out, before serious damage is done. Based on how mine looks I'm sure it's a lot easier to change before the power leads get fried.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote