RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Guy View Post
I have not heard lately about clearance issues or concerns regarding the rear duallies. I am, perhaps, overthinking what is to them a non concern, however, I usually do overthink anything that can cause major problems on the highways and in my pocket book.
I know I am getting a bit technical, but it is what it is.
I appreciate any and all serious replies to what is causing me a major headache!
Thanking you all in advance, yet again.
Guy
Chef Guy
There is reason that all tire manufactures specify a "minimum spacing" for dual tires.
DO NOT IGNORE IT... (or anything else the tire manufacturer recommends)!
Mel
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Luke,

I appreciate all of the replies...however, no one seemed to be able to answer the question of clearance issues, and I couldn't find anything in my extensive historical Roadmaster Chassis or Monaco library of mentioning clearance issues with duallies. As for talking to truck tires shops up here about dually clearances in a MH, well, let's say that I would have better luck finding a 12 pound gold nugget in my back yard...don't know what it is with truck tire guys, but boy, they can be a little dense at times!

As always, thanks for the replies again!
Kal Tire should be able to give you all the info you need on tires. They are very knowledgeable. You need to know your rim width on your coach. Not all Alcoa rims are the same. Mine are 7.5" yours are likely 8.25" as shown on the attached chart from Hancook.
The 295's are bigger in circumference so taller than the 275's.

I put the Hancook AH12's - 255/70R22.5's on my coach as that's what it called for. Great tires! I bought them in the States. $2600 USD all in out the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	99971  

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #17

I just phoned Cal tire and there are different width in the rims and he said some motor
homes have narrower rims. Standard semi is 81/4. You probably have narrow rims
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Complex issue.. seems that the variables and influence on clearance are prohibiting a specification. Weight, sidewall construction, loaded weight, actual tire construction variables in sizes, and actual application of the tire in question.
OEM had to be sufficient for all the use you have had, but what if you had found a bigger rock in the road!! So much for all that research. If a spec is supplied we expect it to be the measure of our expectation.
If the tires are low on air.. the side wall flex increases.. no spec for that.
Don't think you will ever find a solid specific spec. but you do need to have clearance!!
Good luck.
BTW I am in the same boat on tire replacement. I have been looking at the Yokohama. 104ZR
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting story.
Had a customer that had a complaint on transmission had lost the final gear.
Checking the vehicle, noticed that the tires were new. Asked him about the tire replacement and it's relationship to the problem, happened the same day.
The tires were the same mfg. same size marking... decided to measure the diameter with a tape measure... one was an inch larger. The vehicle was a high line with leading edge technology, abs, traction control,etc.
Gotta watch what you buy.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I replaced my 275/80 22.5 Goodyears last year with 295/75 22.5 M154 Toyos. I have about 6000 miles on these tires and have not had any issues. I did not measure the clearance between the dual tires but looking at it a few minutes ago I don't see any issues. There is not a lot of difference between the tire widths, maybe 1/2 an inch.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Luke,

So, did you stay with the 275 80R 22.5 that was OEM on your coach? If you did, then I may have to as well. I got a price on those XZA 3+'s from the Bellingham Costco for just over $500.00 each! Of course I would have to take them to an installer, but what a price change from most retailers. He told me a new batch was being made the middle of this month and to call back when I wanted to place an order....only problem is, I will need a forklift and a HDT to transport those suckers down the street to a truck tire shop!

I appreciate all of the replies...however, no one seemed to be able to answer the question of clearance issues, and I couldn't find anything in my extensive historical Roadmaster Chassis or Monaco library of mentioning clearance issues with duallies. As for talking to truck tires shops up here about dually clearances in a MH, well, let's say that I would have better luck finding a 12 pound gold nugget in my back yard...don't know what it is with truck tire guys, but boy, they can be a little dense at times!

And I used to think that shopping for a new cell phone was a headache

As always, thanks for the replies again!
Guy,

I noticed nobody actually offered an answer to your question. I was also interested in that since we have the same size tire, 275 R80 22.5. We are currently running the XZA3+ Michelin and find them to run smooth and balance well. They are expensive and have a bad reputation for side wall cracking. We wanted to move to Bridgestone next time but have the same concern about spacing between the rear tires.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Well, you have made me curious and I found a way for you to check for your answer( IMOHO). Michelin and others have specs that identify tire width example, 295/80R 22.5 is 12.1. If you look for Minimum Dual Spacing information, Double/Coin tire provides a pretty good explanation and a download PDF on it. It is determined by the measurement of the center of one rim to the center of the other. Also identifies a minimum dual spacing for each size of tire and rim width.( 9.00 width=13.2 required minimum.) Minimum dual spacing - Speedy deletion Wiki
So based upon the tire size, and tire specs, simple math should provide your answer as to how much room there should be between the tires.
Yokohoma 104ZR has a spec overall width of 11.9 vs 12.3 with Goodyear for example.
Also for your thought stimulation... Goodyear has a reference to Minimum Dual Spacing on one of the size conversion check lists on their web site. Size Conversions - Goodyear RV
Old 07-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #23

One reason for the minimum spacing is to get sufficient airflow between the tires for cooling. Too close means less airflow which means hotter tire and brake temperatures.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #24

Robert
You must have the tires dismounted in order to inspect the inside of the tire. Even Michelin mandates that annually after 5 or 6 yrs. I am cheap, but a chicken. After five years (and in our case due to health problems less than 15k miles!) I start looking to replace our tires. To my way of thinking your plan of replacement would, after three years leave you with two new tires, two tires with three years to replacement and two tires with two 'good' years. Having had a passenger front blowout, I want no parts of another. Sure, new tires can blowout due to some road hazard--nothing to be done about that. I am not, however, gonna risk life and limb of others and myself due to tire failure by age. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Robert
You must have the tires dismounted in order to inspect the inside of the tire. Even Michelin mandates that annually after 5 or 6 yrs. I am cheap, but a chicken. After five years (and in our case due to health problems less than 15k miles!) I start looking to replace our tires. To my way of thinking your plan of replacement would, after three years leave you with two new tires, two tires with three years to replacement and two tires with two 'good' years. Having had a passenger front blowout, I want no parts of another. Sure, new tires can blowout due to some road hazard--nothing to be done about that. I am not, however, gonna risk life and limb of others and myself due to tire failure by age. Good luck whatever you decide.
I am a little slow but I just put two and two together and noticed that flynnwalter on irv2 is Frank W on yahoo Monacoers.

Hi Frank.

We are also chicken and change out the front tires at 5 years.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
I am a little slow but I just put two and two together and noticed that flynnwalter on irv2 is Frank W on yahoo Monacoers.

Hi Frank.

We are also chicken and change out the front tires at 5 years.

Bob
Hello back, Bob
It took me awhile to figure that one out, too. People kept referring to me as flynnwalter despite signing as Frank W. even on Monacoers. But with two first names (or maybe two last names) I am sorta used to it.