Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is my user manual fibbing?

According to my manual ALL the batteries are supposed to charge while on shore power. My house batteries are showing 14v on the display but my chassis are showing 11.7v. Am I missing something, is something busted, or do I just need to invest in an add-on? Starting to put this baby to bed for the winter.
obwahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

How long have you been on shore power ?
My system ; BIRD ; will charge the chassis batteries , BUT only after the coach batteries reach full charge. If you read the voltage with, shore power disconnected and the coach batteries are less than 12.7v, the system wont switch on to charge the chassis batteries. If the coach batteries are in marginal condition the BIRD will not see enough power at the coach batteries to switch over the charge, even after an extended time on shore power.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

My coach does not charge the chassis batteries when on shore power. Found that out the hard way. After first 3-week stay on shore power, chassis batteries were dead. Was able to start with the battery boost switch.
Added the Trik-L-Start and not had a problem since.
Trik-L-Start works similar to BIRD and only charges chassis batteries if house batteries are fully charged.
When in storage, turn off both battery switches and the solar is enough to keep both batteries charged.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I understand that our coaches are identical.. We have a full set of electrical schematics and note the house and motor electrical systems are totally separate except when the battery boost switch is activated (it connects all batteries) and should only be used for a short time. The B.I.R.D. (bi-directional relay) or Trik L Charge system must be added to achieve your desired results...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by obwahn View Post
According to my manual ALL the batteries are supposed to charge while on shore power. My house batteries are showing 14v on the display but my chassis are showing 11.7v. Am I missing something, is something busted, or do I just need to invest in an add-on? Starting to put this baby to bed for the winter.
Something is busted or your coach doesn't have a B.I.R.D. , which isn't that unusual a manual would include all equipment available whether it's in your coach or not. Of course the 1st thing to do is get those chassis batts charged. Leaving them at 11.7v is killing them and shortening their life.

If you have BIRD, it could be a bad control board, but more likely a bad inter-connect solenoid. This is a continuous duty solenoid that connects the banks together. Generally it is activated when the engine is running to charge the coach batts, when you use the Start/Boost switch or when the BIRD calls on it to charge the chassis batts.

That said, if those first two work, then it's not the solenoid. Which means you have another problem with the BIRD, or you just don't have one.

If it turns out you need an add-on, I would get one of these:

http://www.lslproducts.net/ALS_Overview_Page.html
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #6

I recently learned that, on my Newmar, if the store switch is energized to kill all 12v in the coach, the house batteries will charge, but the chassis batteries will not. If the store feature is not used, the B.I.R.D. will charge all batteries.
So now I don't hit the store button when in storage. I just make sure everything is turned off.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I think the best time to exercise the Gen. Set.

I have a couple of Solar Panels on the roof.
That way the only time I connect the Elect. to the M.H. is a couple of days before we are getting ready to leave on a trip to get the Fridge. ready for food.
And of course when we reach our Camp Ground.
About the only time we use the Gen. Set is when we are parked by the ocean where their is no hook up.
I fine the best time to exercise the Gen. Set is while we are on the road.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't know what exercising generator has to do with whether both banks of batteries are charging.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
You mention Shore Power ... do both banks charge with the engine running (from the alternator)?

A lot depends on what (if any) device is installed in your RV. If you have an IRD, it will charge both banks from the alternator but not charge the Chassis from the Genset-Shore Power/Inverter Charger.

If you have a BIRD, it should charge both banks from either the Alternator or Genset-Shore Power/Inverter Charger.

There are other Isolation methods but those are common.

You may have nothing.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

BTW, the BIRD (if installed) is fused ...
Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all who responded

I've definitely been on shore power long enuf, couple weeks or more.

Looking in the battery bay I only see the boost relay. No "bird" or similar.

Guess it's time to fire up a trickle charger for now and then get my grubby mits on a trik-l-start or the als. I'm leaning towards the less expensive one.

I understand the comment about the user manual being "all inclusive". Makes sense.

Thanks again to all you fine responders!
obwahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We have a 2006 Diplomat and it does not charge the chassis batteries while on shore power as manufactured. We added the Trik-L-Start to keep the chassis batteries up:
Ultra Trik-L-Start

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #12

My 2000 Diplomat does not charge engine batteries when plugged in. Only when engine is running. I installed and on-board trickle charger to keep them up.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
I understand that our coaches are identical.. We have a full set of electrical schematics and note the house and motor electrical systems are totally separate except when the battery boost switch is activated (it connects all batteries) and should only be used for a short time. The B.I.R.D. (bi-directional relay) or Trik L Charge system must be added to achieve your desired results...
Hal, when my alternator quit earlier this year, a day before a planned trip to Florida, I drove the whole trip of 1,000 miles running the genny with the boost switch permanently on to keep the chassis batteris charged.
Worked fine and got the alternator changed on our return.
The boost relay is rated for continuous operation.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 01 Ambassador manual said that both battery banks would charge on shore power, and it was not correct. There was later an addendum to the manual that stated that only the house batteries would charge from shore power. I added a small trickle charger to the engine batteries and never had a problem after that. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert

Tags
manual