RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is Refrigerator not supposed to work when driving?

My coach has a factory installed "residential" refrigerator.
I am planning a trip (will be driving for many hours at time) and I wondering how to power the refrigerator (or if I even need to).

Looking at the wiring diagram, I see that the refrigerator power does not come off the Inverter (the Ice maker does), so that means the refrigerator will have no power while driving (unless I run the generator).

So I assume the design is that the refrigerator does not "need" to be powered while driving. If I start out with a cold refrigerator, everything will stay cold (with no power) for 12 to 24 hours (with occasionally opening the door to get a drink or sandwich).

Is that the idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power to Refrigerator.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	260084  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #2

If your fridge doesn't run off the inverter when you are driving, that means it doesn't run off the inverter when you boondock either. This means the only time your fridge has power is when you are plugged in, or you have the generator going. Is this a case where someone has taken out the gas fridge, and installed a residential fridge? A residential fridge needs at least four deep cycle batteries, and a good inverter running it to be of any use. That is, unless you never go anywhere without running the generator, or are plugged in at all times. If you plan on any type of being off grid at all, you will need to get that changed. What size is your battery bank, and inverter. These will need to be assessed, and your fridge set up rearranged. Judging by the year of the rv, my guess is it didn't come with a residential refer.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #3

The wiring diagram is probably for a gas/electric fridge.

Never saw a resedintal fridge with 2 power cords.

Turn it and the inverter on and pull the shore power plug.

If that don't work, plug the fridge into the icemaker outlet.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the diagram must be wrong. It is probably for an absorption style as you said. Good point about Boondocking.

My coach was built with a residential style refrigerator (says so on the Build Sheet) but someone at Monaco probably didn't think to add a wiring diagram for that option.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

In this case I would forget the diagram and figure out if it is wired to run from
the inverter. That's the way I would want it and how mine is .
Have you looked I behind the frig to see if you have 2 receptacles ?
If you have 2 all you may need is to move the plug to the other receptacle .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your signature says you have a 2005 Beaver. I seriously doubt you have a factory installed residential unit. I would lay odds the original absorption unit - either Dometic or Norcold has been replaced. Most residential refrigerators are very well insulated and can hold temps for quite a while. I would install a temp monitor so you can monitor the temps during the day. I'm thinking you are probably good for a day of driving. You might need to run the generator for a while about the middle of the day to re-cool and maintain temps. When you stop for the day, you'll plug into shore power and all is good. Another option which should be fairly easy is to install a dedicated inverter with an internal transfer switch to use when driving. Even if you only have 2 batteries, the engine alternator should keep the house batteries charged while driving. Once you stop for the day, shore power takes over.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Your signature says you have a 2005 Beaver. I seriously doubt you have a factory installed residential unit.
jt
Why do you doubt it?

Here's a link to the manual https://www.searspartsdirect.com/man...e-refrigerator I was lookign to see what the amperage requirement is, but couldn't find it in the manual. I assume under 15 amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	260087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	260088  

Old 09-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #8

Mine does not run off the inverter. In cooler temps it stays cool all day. In hotter temps Iím running the generator for A/C so the fridge is running too
Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #9

We have only two 6 volt batteries and a residential fridge running off an inverter. If you don't boondock this setup is fine.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have four 6-volt batteries in my setup.
I think best advice now is just to turn on the Inveter and pull the Shore Power plug and see if the fridge stays running.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our Monaco Executive came with a factory installed Maytag residential refrigerator. It ran off the inverter when not plugged into shore power or running the generator. The engine alternator will keep the batteries charged when driving.
I just left the inverter on 24/7.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #12

I would be surprised if it doesn't run off the inverter with a factory installed residential fridge. If it doesn't work like twinboat said, look behind the fridge and see where it plugs in. Maybe a breaker has tripped. If only one plug in the wall, test both outlets. It could be a split receptacle. Generally a fridge gets a dedicated plug in.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I would be surprised if it doesn't run off the inverter with a factory installed residential fridge. If it doesn't work like twinboat said, look behind the fridge and see where it plugs in.
Would a factory installed residential fridge even have outside access panel to get at the outlet?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #14

Hey Neighbor,

Does your RV have any outside vents ??? Are the original owner ?? I think the stainless steel frig on your build sheet is a Norcold gas/electric commonly used in the early 2000's

Where is the outlet your calling the ice maker?? I would plug a radio into it and turn up the volume and unplug your RV to shore power and turn your power inverter and find a outlet that has power. Then plug your frig into that one. Alot of that vintage RV's the inverter only powers 1/2 of the 110 outlets. Then when your Rv motor's alternator should keep the house batteries charged or you might need to run your genny sometimes while driving.

No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator