RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Is that a fuse?

In our 1998 Monaco Windsor, there is a 5 amp glass fuse in a black fuse holder inside the AC breaker box.

It is attached to a pre-breaker lug, and goes into a Romex wire and into the guts like the rest of the AC wires.

No mention in the manuals I have, and I don't have a wiring diagram. Does one of you know what it is for? I will make a note in my service log.

As an aside, I noticed I had an AC breaker for "water heater." Sure enough, after six years of ownership, I discovered we have an AC element in the water heater. One of the wires overheated and separated. New element on the way!

I also have a breaker for a clothes washer, but I don't expect to discover it.

Matt B

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Does it look factory installed? Can you post a picture?

I have an older wiring diagram for a 1996 coach (not for Monaco), and it looks like they have a "capacitor" in the 12VAC panel (maybe to reduce "noise" on the circuit). Not sure. Could it be something like that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 Wiring 120V Panel.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	259972  

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

It does look factory installed - same wire and strain relief as the other circuits.

I don't have a photo handy, but it is a 5 amp, 250 volt glass fuse in a typical in-line holder.

Matt B
Old 09-12-2019, 05:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go to the Files section above and do a search for Windsor. You will find the wiring diagrams for a 2000 Windsor which may help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Go to the Files section above and do a search for Windsor. You will find the wiring diagrams for a 2000 Windsor which may help you.

Thanks for that. I checked that file and some others, and saw no reference to my mystery fuse.

My thought is that the design drawings would reflect the original engineering, and would not include an afterthought or last-minute change. If it were a planned feature - it would likely have had a breaker!

I will study the breaker box, and try to think of what is excluded from the breakers. My thought is that a five amp circuit would be something with very low demand. Any outlet would be a 15 amp, AC units have their own breakers as does microwave, etc.

What would draw just a couple of amps, need a dedicated circuit, and be an option, customer request, or otherwise an addition to the engineered circuitry?

I might try disconnecting it, and seeing what doesn't work.

Matt B
Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
I might try disconnecting it, and seeing what doesn't work.
Perfect application of the KISS principle. Sure can't hurt to try.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

Good start.

Likely a device that is placed somewhere that normal wiring is not.

Small fuse indicated minimal load so it could be alarm or memory retention or other minor item.

Turn all off but that and see what happens.

If you have access to an amp Myer you can remove fuse and place amp meter in its place to measure current, if no current then whatever it is connected to is broken or switched off.

Old school power audit.

Turn on all breakers and check to see that everything works.

Get notepad.

Turn one off and make note of each item that stops working with that breaker.

Continue until all breakers off.

After all off look for things still working.

Check battery voltage with dc voltmeter as you go as a sudden dropping of voltage would indicate charger turning off.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

Well, that was simple! I walked out to the coach today to explore what it could be. I stepped in, and checked the voltmeter in front, and thought "hmmmm..."

Yes, on my 1998 Monaco Windsor, the 5 amp fuse in the fuse holder INSIDE the the breaker box is for the AC voltmeter.

Thanks all!

Matt B

Tags
fuse