Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #1

Is this a built in surge protector?

I've experienced a loud buzz coming from my transfer box. If I turn the power source off and back on, it usually stops the buzzing. So, after unplugging all power, I started poking around and looking under the box covers to see if anything shows signs of burnt wires. All the wires look good. No melted plastic. I read on this site that the contacts are most likely dirty and need cleaning. In a day or so, I'll pull out the switch and take a closer look. Does anyone know if the contacts are easily accessible for cleaning after taking it out of the box?

While poking around, I noticed a black box under the transfer switch box. The owners manual for the coach says it has a surge protector. Shown in the picture. The black box doesn't say much on it, just what you see. It does say protector, but I don't see the word surge. Anyone know for sure, Is this a surge protector?

Further, there is two boxes. One is the transfer switch, but what is the other one for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cell Phone Pictures 1231.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	244232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cell Phone Pictures 1230.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	244233  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cell Phone Pictures 1234.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	244234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cell Phone Pictures 1235.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	244235  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

Answering one of my questions, I put my cell camera under it. It's a surge protector. Anyone know if it's sufficient?
Old 04-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This will tell you a little bit more about the unit. In my opinion I'd get another stand alone from either Progressive or Southwire.

http://psihq.com/tvss/UnitedPower/pdfs/tss.pdf
Old 04-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco Wolfy View Post
Answering one of my questions, I put my cell camera under it. It's a surge protector. Anyone know if it's sufficient?
Wolfy,
That's what mine looks like. I did need to replace the transfer switch awhile back and the original placement for the surge protector was attached to the backside of the transfer box. When I changed out the switch, I moved the SP to the front side of the box. Now I can see the two green lights, as before I couldn't see anything on the SP.
My transfer switch unit does make a humming noise, but not to the point that it is annoying or too loud.
Hope this helps.
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #5

The other grey box is for the Aladdin AC interface, volts/ amps, etc.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #6

It looks like you've identified everything, for the most part. As for cleaning the contacts on the two relays, I would be surprised if they need maintenance. They are designed to do their job thousands of times at their rated loads without failure. One of those relays is in the incoming line from your on-board generator, and the other is in the incoming line from your shore power. They are in an either/or configuration and are most likely controlled so that your on-board generator is the preferred source. Only one is energize at any one time.

Again, they shouldn't require maintenance. Those devices, when energized, have a 120 cycle hum due to something called magnetostriction. On each half-cycle of the 60 cycle excitation voltage the little iron core in the relay constricts, every so slightly, and relaxes again each time the voltage waveform crosses zero, hence the 120 cycle hum. That is what produces the sound you are hearing. Any parts of the hardware on the device, or very close to it, that might be slightly loose may vibrate a bit, too, seeming to be amplifying the sound. Unless it is excessive, you probably don't have a problem.

Regarding the sufficiency of your surge protection, that depends completely on the job it is asked to perform. Normal utility or coach generated voltage transients will easily be absorbed by most surge protection devices. Also, today's utility standards have come a long way in reducing the frequency, magnitude and duration of surges on our power systems, which is good. A close-in lighting strike? It likely won't protect all of your equipment. But for most of us, the surge protection provided in our coaches is very adequate. If you feel otherwise, there are external devices that are quite good that can be inserted at the power pedestal by you, each time you connect to shore power. They can go from quite small and light to quite heavy and very effective at even controlling low or high voltage supplies.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #7

Thanks for all the input. That's what makes this site so great.

I like the idea of not having to deal with securing a Surge protector at the power post. Having it inside the coach makes more sense to me. Does anyone know of a better, modern day, inside protector that might do a better job for low and high voltage?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is the best RV unit. IMHO

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-lchw50
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #9

Contractors can hum we have these exact ones at work , they are not the quietest . Ill bet there is rust between the laminated metal parts. The whole front part should off with a few screws . don't mix up the contacts they will be somewhat mated to each other from arcing. Sand off rust on mating faces with 120 grit. I would mess with contacts unless they are real bad maybe a couple swipes with 400grit if at all. Blow out or use contact cleaner.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote